Mystery San Dimas Pro Mod Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery San Dimas Pro Mod Body

I recently purchased a few bodies from a guy who used to work at the Corona factory in the shipping dept. He had dozens of bodies including a twin to my prized HSS Blue Bengal DK2M. One of them was this san dimas body. I have searched this forum and googled for hours trying to find anything similar. Additionally aside from some maple topped guitars (like the guthrie model and some PC1s) I haven't seen anything with an almost blonde top and dark center section. I even looked through fender custom shop stuff and only came up with maple veneer top guitars and not one like this with a veneer on the back as well. From the stamps it appears to be a finished body from the end of the MIJ timeframe. He has another one of these I'm going to snag as well. I had intended to paint it seafoam based on the ad pictures as I
    thought it was simply an unfinished body but the woodgrain is honestly growing on me. Any experts have an idea of what this is or even what the finish/construction would be called?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/eeP6Pfa"><a href="//imgur.com/a/eeP6Pfa">San Dimas Natural/Blonde?</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I ended up getting the Bengal Body, an early 2000s black HRF DK2 body, this san dimas with an MIJ neck, and a Model A Plus. Basically have enough project bodies to cover me for a few years.
    1995ish Charvel strat copy
    Blue Bengal DK2M HSS
    a few others i'd rather not mention
    Nigel Tufnel: (holding up a guitar) The sustain, listen to it.
    Marty DiBergi: I don't hear anything.

Nigel Tufnel: Well you would though, if it were playing.

For some reason I can't edit... The link is https://imgur.com/a/eeP6Pfa?
    Blue Bengal DK2M HSS

Comment

I think for some reason some of the japanese pro mods used that veneer on the front and back of the body. see:

https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...al-information (original pictures bunk, but some interesting speculations)
      that thread links to ads with pictures of what is almost surely a japanese pro mod body:
      https://reverb.com/item/28677305-cha...-unpainted-mim
      https://reverb.com/item/3629085-char...k-most-desired

essentially my theory is that this is a sealed but unfinished body that was destined for a solid color paint job. reason for the veneers in that case? I'm not an insider, so I don't know, but I can say that it would lessen the possibility of the joint lines in a multipiece body becoming visible through the paint over time. kinda like plywood in that respect, that you put the best faces on the outside then you can put blemished wood in the middle without worrying about them showing through the paint.

In any case, should be a great body for whatever you decide to throw on it! personally, I think it would make a great platform for a nice solid or metallic paint job, since it's already sealed and everything.
      Last edited by metalhobo; 07-31-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Based on the control layout, Floyd post insert holes, Floyd sustain block cavity, pickup route shapes/location, and electronics control locations, it looks like a 2011 Japanese Charvel San Dimas body made of alder, on par for the course. 2011 was the last year for Chushin Gakki, marking the end of Japanese Jacksons and Charvels.

The neck pocket stamps are very similar to photos of other Japanese San Dimas neck pocket stamps, like the one seen below, with the date at the left, "S D" in the middle (So-Cals had "S C" in the middle), and not sure what the other numerals at the right mean:

https://reverb.com/ca/item/6214723-c...-hh-snow-white

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 07-31-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. What really threw me was I found 1 other guitar with a red stamp. It was a wildcard body. I assumed (maybe wrong) that the black stamp was the body manufacture date and the red stamp was the finish code or paint date and model I.E. "SD" for san dimas and "WC" for wildcard. So that being said if "1-1" is the date for mine would be Jan 1 2012 which was when the japanese factory closure was happening. That would follow with what is on the picture attached as it could be November 2 following an october manufacture black stamp. The seal explanation makes sense. I just never thought they sealed the wood before solid paint. Guess I can go ahead and spray over one of them without much heartache. I just didn't want to spray over something special since it was so close to the closure. Got my hopes up that It mightve been a failed run that never happened.
          Blue Bengal DK2M HSS

Comment

It makes more sense that 11.11.7 is your date. 2011, November, 7.

I sold my 2011 So-Cal and I regret not taking photos of its neck pocket and neck heel for easy reference on forums. If I did, I'd use my own pics, and rest assured they'd be nice clear close-ups at that, for demonstration purposes and quickly solving mysteries. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Well we can call it mystery solved. You guys are awesome with the info! I guess i'll paint and assemble this one and hang on to the other for a while and eventually assemble it as is. Kind of cool knowing it is one of the last Charvels out of that plant.
              Blue Bengal DK2M HSS

Comment

I have a 2001 Model A Pro and would love another. Great guitars to play!

Comment

Working...
                X