Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson JDR Concept (Floyd Rose question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some studs like for example the Gotoh ge 1996 ones are closed bottom since they have the locking allen screw in them so that trick wont work. I think the Edge studs are closed too since they also have the locking screw and Edge is offcourse made by Gotoh.

But most of the other studs are open and that trick is very convenient way of gettin them out. Also there are a few different diameters of studs like OFR and modern schallers are i think 10mm and old Schallers/JT-590s had the bigger 13mm studs and also the JT-6 had the 13mm studs. And if that wasnt enough the Gotoh ge 1996 has about 11mm diameter studs.

All that being said i can see why you might want to be lazy with the studs and if they work for you then no point changing them.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys! That video is deffo brilliant!

Comment

A GE1996T will fit whatever fits an OFR, mostly the same dimension and will drop right in. Makes it really hard to justify the Floyd Rose Special on any guitar, since its only like 20 bucks more expensive.

On the topic of mounting stud, in transit seems like the wood of my new KE3 expanded (or shrunk?) a bit around that area. When I took the bridge off for cleaning the stud came right out of it, and the hole is relatively loose, its a snug-ish fit but I could rip the stud right out with my finger, should I be worried? After putting it back together and restringing, the stud is lifting a bit off the hole, 1-2mm, but it doesn't seem to budge

Comment

Thanks a lot! That is really helpful.
          Last edited by metalgent; 07-23-2020, 01:39 AM.

Comment

ALL JDR-94 had JT-500 trems. The red guitar with the JT-580 is not a JDR-94 body.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              ALL JDR-94 had JT-500 trems. The red guitar with the JT-580 is not a JDR-94 body.
              I thought the regular JDR-94 with offset dot inlays had the JT-500 and the ones with sharkfin inlays had the JT-580. Unless I'm forgetting my models...
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Interesting you're saying that. If that's not a JDR body, which one is it them? As you can see from the pictures below that one states "Made in Japan" and also you can see its serial number. The other shows the JDR on the truss rod cover. Based on my researches and in this thread here the Concept models were only produced in 94.

Comment

And btw, it's not indeed a JDR-94, it's a JDR concept. Although, I'm pretty sure they should share almost the same if not all specs.

Comment

Sometimes it's like beating your head against a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                      Sometimes it's like beating your head against a rock.
                      Sorry pianoguyy I didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

I thought the regular JDR-94 with offset dot inlays had the JT-500 and the ones with sharkfin inlays had the JT-580. Unless I'm forgetting my models...
                        This must be one of the limited run Christmas 1993 Concept versions. The 1994 serial number is what threw me off.
                        All the 1994 models came with the crappy JT-500 and dot inlays. I've owned 2.
                        https://assets.ctfassets.net/4jcppge...95-catalog.pdf
                        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

I've got a JDR-94 with the offset dots and it has a JT580. I remember posting photos of it YEARS ago on here and someone pointed it out specifically. So I don't know if someone changed it at some point from a 500 to a 580. I was going to buy a GOTOH or Schaller to replace it but I hardly ever play that guitar so there seems little point. It works well enough.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X