Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt's Music Jack Butler Run

Hey Everyone.

I want to start by saying that I am not affiliated with @mattsmusic in any way. I am just a guitarist trying to organize a limited edition run of a guitar that I have wanted for years.

On TGP earlier today, Matt's Music indicated they wanted to do another Limited Edition run of a Jackson Jack Butler San Dimas guitar. This is the "Crossroads" guitar that Steve Vai was playing in the infamous guitar duel with Ralph Machio.

https://reverb.com/item/962811-jack...ads-jack-butler-replica-san-dimas-red-sparkle

http://www.mattsmusic.com/JAX9912-prod.html

Anyone who is interested in joining this run, please chime in. We need at minimum 5 guitars in the run for Jackson to agree to produce the run. We currently have 3 guitars committed, so we are just 2 away!

We have pieced together the spec (or as close as we can get them without getting the Jackson Custom Shop involved) of this original run and made some tweaks. The following is the preliminary specs we are starting with. For anyone joining the run, we will come to a final consensus on the specs before the run goes forward.

There are some specs on the original run that I could not specify on this form. These are the differences:

Floyd Rose:
    • Screw in mounting studs were used on the original. I think we should go with modern insert mounting studs instead because they greatly increase the longevity of the guitar
    • The nut was rear mounted (Screws in back of neck). I think we should go with modern front mounted nut again due to improved neck durability with front mounting
    • No cover on tremolo cavity
    Neck Plate
    • A Charvel neck plate was used on the 2012/2015 run. This is an accurate detail of the Crossroads guitar that was verified back in 2012. Could we make this happen? If not, a Jackson Dinky neck plate is fine
    Body
    • The body on the original run was Ash, but the order form does not have an option for Ash. Could we get Ash or is that off the table?
    Control Placement
    • The controls should match the original Vai Jack Butler with the volume centered on the bridge pickup and the switch offset forward by ~1"
    Control Cavity
    • Smaller classic cavity route and placement
    Could we get the arm of the tremolo Black? This is the way the original CrossRoads guitar was configured: Chrome bridge, black arm.

I deviated from the original run as follows:

Pickups
    I chose the Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro. Steve is a DiMarzio guy has been from the start. The original run had the typical SD JB/Jazz combo. I did this because Steve used the Green Meanie to record the Crossroads sound track. There are 3 pickups linked with the Green Meanie: DiMarzio Super Distortion, DiMarzio PAF, and DiMarzio X2N. The only pickup on the list that Jackson offers on the form is the Super Distortion. It should be a DiMarzio PAF Bridge and DiMarzio PAF Neck according to Steve Vai. While the PAF Pro was not available when the Green Meanie was being used, the PAF Pro is the closest I could get to what he used.

Tuning Machines
    In the 1980s the tuning machine for shredder guitars was Schaller

Strap Locks
    Schaller Strap Locks are a wise investment. Will change this if other people in the run want it changed.

Neck
    Chose Graphite Reinforced DA Truss Rod simply for durability and longevity. Will change this if other people in the run want it changed

Frets
    Chose Stainless Frets for durability and longevity. Will change this if other people in the run want it changed.

Looks cool whats the price going to be because Jackson is coming out with a similar model this year production model.

Comment

Whats the price on these? Jackson is coming out with a production model of these this year .

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
        Whats the price on these? Jackson is coming out with a production model of these this year .
        We won’t know until we have everyone in. The more people in the run the cheaper.

The last run of 5 people came in at $2,999.

As for the production model, it is close. A lot of the details are wrong. Control placement is off. No Charvel neck plate. Tremolo arm is chrome instead of black. Satin eurethane neck instead of oiled, original did not have a tremolo cavity cover.

We are also going to try to get things like an Ash body, Schaller tuners, classic cavity route

Also, US made guitars have a little extra mojo in my opinion.
        Last edited by CaptNasty; 07-05-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Omg that guitar duel is magic. This is really cool. So how does payment work? Do you have to pay it all up front? And how long would you guess it will take them to get these done?

Comment

Hey, No it is not all up front. Will check with MM tomorrow, but the last run was $350 upfront, balance due on delivery. Build time is 12-15 months.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
              Hey, No it is not all up front. Will check with MM tomorrow, but the last run was $350 upfront, balance due on delivery. Build time is 12-15 months.
              Did you get a chance to talk to MM?

Comment

Working...
              X