Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious: why is Charvel installing Floyd nut shims on new guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious: why is Charvel installing Floyd nut shims on new guitars?

Why not just cut the nut shelf to the proper height (and angle?)? Go to Charvel's website and look at the new PRO-MOD DK24 HH FR M in dark amber finish and the photo of the headstock to see what I'm talking about.

"You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

I quess it just to make it easier for the setup. Its easier to slab a shim in there than to take material off at the final setup phace.

However on my style 2 pro mod i got a few years back the first fret action was way too high to my liking and i ended up taking the shim off entirely and after that it was spot on.

Comment

I don't see the issue. with normal nuts you cut the slots to a precise depth as part of the set-up. you can't do that with a floyd nut so you use shims.

Comment

MetalHobo, I agree about normal nuts, like on a Les Paul or Strat. However, I respectively disagree about Floyd nuts. Jackson/Charvel has built thousands and thousands of guitars with Floyds, both bolt-ons and neck-thrus. I can't believe that after building thousands of Soloists with the same fret size and scale that no one at Jackson/Charvel can't figure out the EXACT perfect shelf height for the Floyd nut so that there's no need for a shim and the string height at the first fret is perfect. I've seen pictures of dozens of identical bolt-on necks at the factory, ready to be mated to their body. I find it hard to believe that every neck is different. I'm assuming, of course, that the nut shelf is machine-cut, not hand-cut, as is the entire neck.
        "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Maybe they just want to use all the parts that come with the trem so they dont have to recycle the shims.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
            MetalHobo, I agree about normal nuts, like on a Les Paul or Strat. However, I respectively disagree about Floyd nuts. Jackson/Charvel has built thousands and thousands of guitars with Floyds, both bolt-ons and neck-thrus. I can't believe that after building thousands of Soloists with the same fret size and scale that no one at Jackson/Charvel can't figure out the EXACT perfect shelf height for the Floyd nut so that there's no need for a shim and the string height at the first fret is perfect. I've seen pictures of dozens of identical bolt-on necks at the factory, ready to be mated to their body. I find it hard to believe that every neck is different. I'm assuming, of course, that the nut shelf is machine-cut, not hand-cut, as is the entire neck.
            the necks can be made to extreme precision, yes, but the fret work is done by hand (assuming no PLEK is begin used) and thus is not precise at all. it's pretty common to find shims under floyd rose nuts, though they're often imperceptible (they don't protrude from the edge of the nut).

Comment

They've also been known to use factory shims under the Floyd saddles.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toejam, ugghh- don't get me started on the mismatch between the standard Floyd radius (10) and Jackson/Charvel's neck radius (12-16, closer to 20 at the bridge). On all my guitars with Floyds, the low-E end of the bridge always sits higher than the high-E end. I would prefer it be exactly level. I wish Floyd or a 3rd party would produce bridge saddles with custom radiuses so that I wouldn't have to use shims.

My apologies to you all - I'm a perfectionist, and little shit like this bugs me, especially when the solution is so simple i.e. properly radiused nuts and bridges.

Comment

Yeah, it is a bit of a pain in the ass. I've seen them use copper tape for shims, but I prefer the metal saddle shims with the actual intonation screw hole in the middle.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the Pro Mod DK24 is made in Mexico and production is outsourced to a company.

These are not USA built instruments out of Corona California.

I have a Charvel Satchel which is also MiM. The fit and finish is not comparable to my USA Charvels.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                      If I remember correctly, the Pro Mod DK24 is made in Mexico and production is outsourced to a company.
                      I could swear they were made by Fender's own plant in Ensenada, Mexico.

Comment

I thought they went for an average string height?..not uber low but they calculate the shelf with a shim under it so if you want extreme low you pull the shim? pretty sure that is the logic.. if you want higher you add a thicker shim..

you have to remember that different necks come with different height frets, altho not many there are a few, also, some frets may have needed more leveling at the factory so there is that.. so they shoot for an average and with a shim, so if one wants lower then can pull a shim and not have to shave the shelf..

they have different thickness of shims as well so maybe a thinner one? thicker? what are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

I actually like when there already is a shim in there. Then it's much easier for me to fine tune the nut height to my liking.
                          And it also saves time when I level the frets and dont have to adress the nut shelf to get the nut down to the correct height.

Comment

Working...
                          X