Some pics of my JCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pics of my JCs

Snapped some pics the other day and figured I'd share them.

Tell us more about that So-Cal! Modded? Pickup ring + pickguard like Dave Murray's Paul Kossoff Strat?

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      Tell us more about that So-Cal! Modded? Pickup ring + pickguard like Dave Murray's Paul Kossoff Strat?
      sure! I actually meant to type something out in the op but forgot.

it's gone thru various stages of modification, having started life as bone stock candy tangerine usa pro-mod so-cal style 1 2h which I bought brand new in 2008 from gelb music in redwood city, california. around 2010 I got a 3-ply pickguard made by pickguardian for the tom anderson H3 and S2A pickup, which I'll call stage 1. this lasted a while, until around 2015 when I had a new 3-ply pickguard made pickguardian, this time for a single EMG-81: stage 2. I guess I was going for a gary moore type thing.

this served me well for a while, until I decided I just wasn't satisfied with the pickup position. all my other guitars with EMG-81 sounded crunchier, so I figured what I needed to do is push the pickup back closer to the bridge, while also leveling out the pickup so it was parallel with the strings. because of the neck angle necessitated by the top-mount floyd, a humbucker mounted flush to the pickguard is angled pretty horribly to the strings, which also affects the sound and prevents you from getting maximum output. the best way to achieve this pickup angle on a pickguard-equipped guitar is, in my opinion, to use a slanted pickup ring. doing this would also allow me to reuse (bastardize) the then-current pickguard, instead of having to get a third one fabricated with a displaced humbucker route. so I did just that. after measuring some of my other guitars, I decided that a rearward shift of the pickup by 1/8" would be optimal. luckily, this was short enough that the new pickup ring would cover up the remnant of the original route in the pickguard. I proceeded to enlarge the route by 1/8" on the bridge side. I decided to leave the new ring mounted on top of the pickguard instead of routing the pickguard to go outside the ring, as otherwise one corner of the ring would be directly over part of the control cavity; this way, that corner of the ring can screw into the pickguard. anyway, after the pickguard and everything was modified, I mocked everything up and realized that the route in the body was simply not large enough to accommodate the placement I wanted. so out comes the router, measure twice, cut twice (two passes of the router) and everything fit perfectly! pickup in the optimal spot (for me) and at the optimal angle (parallel to the strings) for the price of a pickup ring and some sawdust. what's the point of having a pickguarded guitar if yer not gonna bastardize underneath it a little? lol

other than the above, the only thing I've swapped out is the floyd arm in preference for the screw-in old style arm. the korean trem has stood up quite well to 12 years of use and abuse!
      Last edited by metalhobo; 04-29-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Very cool! Especially love the JJ bass.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X