Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JS 30 Rhoads upgrade pickups or whole new Axe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS 30 Rhoads upgrade pickups or whole new Axe?

Hi, I have a Charvel from the 90's that I moded(a dinky strat style from Japan), but it just didn't cut it for me I wanted a hard tail, so I bought one of the Rhoads JS 30's(made in India) floating around from Sam Ash direct for a song.

I really like this guitar its got 9's and I haven't played on 9's since I was a kid and played on 10's for years and years. The shape is just great - the long horn is great for leverage and I I can spin the guitar on the short point while sitting(very cool). The reach is outrageous(basically like an upright bass), I have wanted this for years. So I am sold on this shape(RR)..

There is however a caveat

Quite frankly the stock pups suck, I know this because I also have San dimas dinky strat with I nice fat neck(ebony fretboard), and a Duncan Custom in the bridge and when I plug this axe in there is no doubt whatsoever about the difference in tone between the RR JS 30 and this Parts guitar(because I did not have the money for a legit custom job my friend did the work and there have always been problems besides the Floyd although it's not recessed(Thk G).

So here is what I want to know if I get some good pups Duncan JB or custom in the bridge and a Jazz or 59 in the neck is that enough because the hard tail aspect is ESSENTIAL and I have two axes with floyds(that's enough thank you).

So Upgrade or Custom shop(not really). Give to me straight.
    Thanks

PS

It must have 24 frets that is also a must.
    Last edited by surfpunk; 04-08-2020, 10:35 PM.

If you like how the guitar plays and is set up to how you like it, then definitely go with a pickup swap.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

strings make a difference with tone.
      trems can be blocked.
      pickups can be swapped.

there's an abundance of options

Comment

So you believe(just an opinion obviously)that a pickup swap, to a really good set of Duncans can change the tone dramatically, even though the guitar body itself is not the best and neither is the neck?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it, because I will decide on this soon and it means messing with the nice factory wiring job and such.

Comment

Blocking the trem doesn't solve the fine tuner issue(really messes with picking). So I'm done with floyds, but thanks for the idea.

Comment

Huh? Your palm should be lightly resting around the stud post of the low E string on the bridge and nowhere near the fine tuners.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

first i heard of someone having problems with fine tuners getting in the way of picking

Comment

Don't worry about it, thanks.The custom shop is $3500 solution(not now anyway). I'm gonna get some nice duncans and do some more moding myself already put the volume knob inside the electric box(I've done that on three guitars). Everybody's different, the leverage from having that string through area to rest my palm is just choice.

Just remember(for kids of all ages who might read this), there is no wrong way to put your hand on the strings, lots of choices out there(guitarwise) and if it hasn't been invented yet, you do it.

I always dig being an iconoclast.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by surfpunk View Post
                  Just remember(for kids of all ages who might read this), there is no wrong way to put your hand on the strings, lots of choices out there(guitarwise) and if it hasn't been invented yet, you do it.
                  that is absolutely dead wrong

sure, it is correct, but it isn't.
                  me, a player, can now begin to formulate his own style - doing what you said "i gotta do me". taking the rule book, tossing it out the window, and making it up as I go.
                  but for the "kids of all ages" who are just learning.... we've been playing guitar for over 500 years. we have definitely worked out the basics for a beginner to start with - before they try breaking out on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                    first i heard of someone having problems with fine tuners getting in the way of picking
                    after reading some of his comments (spinning a V on it's wing), I can see how they may get in the way when playing rockabilly style.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

a blocked trem doesn't need fine tuners. unscrew them.

Comment

Originally posted by surfpunk View Post
                        ...I also have San dimas dinky strat with I nice fat neck(ebony fretboard)...
                        Huh? A Dinky with a fat neck? Dinkys have notoriously thin necks. The thinnest in the Jackson lineup with .750” @ 3rd and .810” @ 12th.

I have a US built 1989 Dinky Strat Style whose neck is every bit as thin as my 2018 Custom Shop Dinky.

Comment

The DKMG and COW had rather fat necks.
                          Beyond that, I don't any DInkys that had a "thick" neck.
                          But, I do know that the 87/88 Model 6 had a thicker neck than the 86. And the US models also got a slightly thicker neck around that same time. By no means thick, but thicker than normal.

And, if someone is coming from something like a Wizard... it would feel thick.

Comment

Working...
                          X