Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups?

Somebody tell me about Jackson single coils?
    J100...J120? Do they suck?
    im interested in an old 1993 charvel tx custom

yeah they suck... don't buy any Charvel or Jackson ever!
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Fleabag View Post
      Somebody tell me about Jackson single coils?
      J100...J120? Do they suck?
      im interested in an old 1993 charvel tx custom
      It probably depends on the kind of tone you want. Some pickups just suck though...
      Do you have examples of the kind of sound you are looking for?

Last edited by freetosurf; 04-09-2020, 12:43 PM.
      Went to Italy once, now I am always flexing at the Olive Garden.

Comment

in case you're confused, op, Nimitz is being highly sarcastic.

a lot of "vintage" jackson pickups were designed by paul gagon who has designed excellent sounding pickups for fender and g&l. the jackson pickups he made are no exception.

I quite like the J-100, though I've only ever had them in the middle+neck positions. honestly it's not too far off from the "pure vintage 59"s in my fender american original 50s strat. very old school single coil tone; big round bass with a very pleasant bite on the high end. perhaps a tad bit brighter than the repro fender pickups, but still very sweet sounding. they interact superbly with the tone and volume knobs as a good single coil should.

never tried the J-120... for that matter, I'm pretty much worthless when it comes to talking about teles. I wouldn't be surprised if it sound good, though. jackson pickups from the '80s and '90s are well regarded by many.

Comment

the other thing to consider for guitars from "back then" is the pre amp.
          some people make a decision on the pickup without realizing that the control system makes a huge difference

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            the other thing to consider for guitars from "back then" is the pre amp.
            some people make a decision on the pickup without realizing that the control system makes a huge difference
            good point, tho in this case it would seem odd to me if a tele like a tx custom would have any active controls.

Comment

doesn't matter if this one doesn't'
              someone may have a guitar with these pickups that does have the electronics and is forming their opinion based it.
              Last edited by pianoguyy; 04-20-2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Except I'm pretty sure a TX Custom only has a volume and tone control and no active electronics.

​
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X