Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charvel model 1a

Hi guys,
    I have recently picked up a 1989 mij charvel model 1a, it’s in fairly good condition and has the j100 single coils, just wondering what it’s current value would be? And also what genre was it made to play? It sounds so stratty to me,
    thanks for any information

you don't have a 1989 Model Series,
    but assuming you have a Model Series, correct, they were made in Japan

genre - whatever genre the owner plays
    stratty? because Hendrix, Clapton, and Vaughn didn't rock.

value - if you are unemployed, looking to pay for your next meal... $50
    You recently "picked up" the guitar, so, being realistic, what you paid is a good representation of the current value.

Comment

pianoguyy thanks for taking the time to correct my post, sorry I didn’t say a Model series from 1989 and for the rest of your comments. I have learned nothing other than there are some sad people out there with too much time on their hands, when in actual fact my post was genuine and looking for a genuine response

Comment

A Charvel Model 1a would be part of the Model Series.
        And no one has a Model Series from 1989.

Comment

The last year of the Model 1A was 1988.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by James Dewar-Haggart PT View Post
            pianoguyy thanks for taking the time to correct my post, sorry I didn’t say a Model series from 1989 and for the rest of your comments. I have learned nothing other than there are some sad people out there with too much time on their hands, when in actual fact my post was genuine and looking for a genuine response
            What pianoguyy said is correct, though.

Comment

About that...

You may have very well been serious in asking about the value. If you were, then you should post pics. A pristine, unmodded guitar has a different value than a modded beater and we have no idea of where you guitar actually falls within that range without pics. Piano guy was spot on though. If you just bought it, you should have an idea of the price, but I suspect you stumbled into some type of deal. A garage sale find, pawn shop treasure, given to you by a friend, something along those lines and you are looking to cash in the value in the instrument. The quicker you want to move it, the cheaper you need to go.

Understand that this is a site for Charvel and Jackson players and enthusiasts. A player should know what genres a S-S-S Classic S type guitar could be used for. What I am telling you is that your first post came off as a non-player flipper imo. Some people here don’t care for flippers. We are here to celebrate all things Charvel/Jackson, not help businessmen make money. Yeah, we help players and enthusiasts to id and value their instruments. Note the keywords... players, enthusiasts. Your OP did nothing to convey that you are either a player or enthusiast. Become a member of the community and you will find the people here quite willing to help.

What is the first thing you do when selling? Establish a rapport. Showing up here is no different. You did nothing to establish a rapport, you went straight for the gusto: “Hey got a Charvel 1a, what is it worth and what can I can say in my eBay listing?”.

Perhaps we should offer a pay service to appraise Charvels and Jacksons for sellers like this? Could probably fund the forum operation by doing so.
              Last edited by CaptNasty; 04-04-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

CaptNasty thank your for taking the time to reply in a decent way, and sorry if my post came off as me trying to prep a sale.
                I only started playing guitar in September 2019, and have found it so enjoyable I’ve got a little addicted. And with that addiction has come a weird wanting to own lots of different guitars. I have a fender jaguar which I genuinely love due to the short scale. But have found myself wanting something with more of a bright single coil (my jaguar is stet with p90 and humbucker before someone says something).
                Anyway through trading I recently ended up with a brand new epiphone les Paul, which I really didn’t enjoy playing or the sound of the instrument and someone offered me the model 1a as a trade which I took as I liked the fact it was single coil, I’m now just wondering about the guitar itself having never owned or had any knowledge on charvel the image in my profile is this guitar as I don’t know how to add to this forum.

thanks again for the decent reply

Comment

CaptNasty thank your for taking the time to reply in a decent way, and sorry if my post came off as me trying to prep a sale.
                  I only started playing guitar in September 2019, and have found it so enjoyable I’ve got a little addicted. And with that addiction has come a weird wanting to own lots of different guitars. I have a fender jaguar which I genuinely love due to the short scale. But have found myself wanting something with more of a bright single coil (my jaguar is stet with p90 and humbucker before someone says something).
                  Anyway through trading I recently ended up with a brand new epiphone les Paul, which I really didn’t enjoy playing or the sound of the instrument and someone offered me the model 1a as a trade which I took as I liked the fact it was single coil, I’m now just wondering about the guitar itself having never owned or had any knowledge on charvel the image in my profile is this guitar as I don’t know how to add to this forum.

thanks again for the decent reply
                  So you are literally a noob player. That is helpful to know thanks for sharing that. Wanting to experience a lot of guitars once the bug bites you is normal. I have been playing 42 years and still love it. Still do guitar binges and purges, though I am typically focused and looking for something specific (e.g. true temperament frets) when I start buying now days.

Here is some context to help you understand the guitar landscape. Historically, your Fenders (or F types) have bolt on necks and single coil pickups. Gibbs were focused more on set necks and p-90s or Humbuckers. These are not hard and fast rules, but there is a general pattern.

As guitarist started pushing the boundaries of the guitar they wanted easier playing guitars, guitars that drove the amps harder. In the mid to late 70’s a group of guitarists were starting to emerge on the sunset strip in California. They were playing hot rodded fender strats that had been modded to have humbuckers, jumbo frets, thinner neck profiles and numerous other mods. By the late 80s locking tremolos were starting to make an appearance on these modded strats. They were dubbed “super strats” and were being produced by a small handful of builders in the San Dimas, California area. Charvel Guitars was one of the leading pioneers of the superstrat movement.

i give you this history to make what I am getting ready to tell you make a bit more sense. That Charvel 1a is a bit of an oddball in the Charvel/Jackson lineup. With it’s S-S-S configuration it is a classic Strat configuration from a company that was created specifically to take the Strat beyond that classic configuration.

You have already learned about scale length. The basics: shorter scales have lower tension. Longer scales have higher tension. If you start playing with downtunings you may find that short scale guitars let the strings get too floppy. Each scale length has its strengths and weaknesses and there is nothing wrong with having a personal preference. I personally prefer 25.5” scale length.

Be careful when trading instruments. Some people will gladly take advantage of a new player who does not know better. Your Charvel Model 1a has a value that is probably between $400-500 depending on the condition and buyer. You might even get a little more with the right buyer. I do not know what model you EPI LP was and that would be important information to establish value. But I have zero knowledge of Gibson or Epiphone LP values. I do not like Les Pauls. Have tried to bond with Les Pauls several times, it just never works out.

If you have questions, drop me a PM. If I can help I will try.

Comment

CaptNasty thanks for the lengthy reply dude, will PM

Comment

pianoguyy thanks for taking the time to correct my post, sorry I didn’t say a Model series from 1989
                      You still haven't addressed this. You actually did say you had a Model series guitar from 1989. "Hi guys,
                      I have recently picked up a 1989 mij charvel model 1a".

They were only made from 1986 to 1989. So have you determined what year yours is yet?

https://www.axebition.com/electric-g...arvel-model-1a

Comment

toejam im not sure I’ve looked on the websites to try and work that out the serial number looks 1987 buy it has TM on the back plate and R on the headstock so not sure

Comment

don't confuse Jackson serial systems with Charvel serial systems.

Comment

pianoguyy there is a number on the back plate, but I can’t find anywhere to check it

Comment

nah, what i meant was... don't look at some website that gives you jackson serial numbers and try to apply it to charvel

yes, we've seen it happen

Comment

Working...
                              X