Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel/Jackson guitar & accessory database project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76


    Update: I discovered a Jackson Stars RR7 that's high end and neck-thru that I'd never seen before. I think since last update I've added some Guitar Center Special edition JS series stuff but who cares about that? (Well actually I do as a completionist freak)

    Anyway major news, I've done huge design overhauls on the site to make it look less like it was thrown together haphazardly. I've done other things to the site too but it's not Jackson related so I won't go into it much. Cheers!
    Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
    My collection also there!

    Comment


    • #77
      Each iteration gets better and better. Well done. We think it's "done" but then we discover models that largely escaped our detection, and that's part of the fun. I often don't come across unusual models that I don't recognize, but when I do, your resource is there to help!

      Comment


      • #78
        I have some more info on the "Euro-X" series Jacksons if you're interested for the sake of completion.

        Comment


        • #79
          Number Of The Priest As usual, thank you.

          Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          I have some more info on the "Euro-X" series Jacksons if you're interested for the sake of completion.
          Absolutely, I would love that!
          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
          My collection also there!

          Comment


          • #80
            Euro-X series, general info
            ---------------------------
            * Made in Japan.
            * Confirmed production years: 1998. Uncomfirmed years: 1997, 1999.
            * Sold in Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Possibly also South America.
            * Models included: AT-X, DR-X, KE-X, RR-X.
            * Bolt-on construction.
            * Body Wood: Poplar (with maple veneer on transparent finishes).
            * Black hardware.
            * Bridges: Licensed double locking JT580LP.
            * Pickups: Jackson branded. (Probably J-65 humbuckers and J-130 singlecoils.)
            * Machine Heads: Jackson label, 15:1.
            * Non-bound maple necks with rosewood fretboards and synthetic sharkfin inlays.
            * Neck Profile: Very thin C shape.
            * Scale length: 25.5" (650mm).
            * Confirmed finishes: Metallic Black, Metallic Blue, Transparent Purple, Transparent Blue, Transparent Red
            * Unconfirmed finishes: Transparent Green
            * Transparent finishes were over a flame maple veneer, and the back was in a solid color.

            Jackson AT-X
            ------------
            Body Style: Arch-top Dinky.
            Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
            Inlays: Standard Sharkfins.
            Headstock: Standard Jackson pointy.
            Pickup configuration: H-S-H.
            Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way blade switch.


            Jackson DR-X
            ------------
            Body Style: Dinky.
            Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
            Inlays: Reverse Sharkfins.
            Headstock: Reverse Jackson pointy.
            Pickup configuration: H-S-H.
            Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way blade switch.


            Jackson KE-X
            ------------
            Body Style: Kelly.
            Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
            Inlays: Reverse Sharkfins.
            Headstock: Reverse Jackson pointy.
            Pickup configuration: H-H.
            Controls: 1 volume, 3-way toggle switch.


            Jackson RR-X
            ------------
            Body Style: Randy Rhoads with black aluminium pickguard.
            Frets: 22 jumbo frets.
            Inlays: Standard Sharkfins.
            Headstock: Standard Jackson pointy.
            Pickup configuration: H-H.
            Controls: 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way toggle switch.



            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              Euro-X series, general info
              ---------------------------
              * Made in Japan.
              * Confirmed production years: 1998. Uncomfirmed years: 1997, 1999.
              * Sold in Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Possibly also South America.
              * Models included: AT-X, DR-X, KE-X, RR-X.
              * Bolt-on construction.
              * Body Wood: Poplar (with maple veneer on transparent finishes).
              * Black hardware.
              * Bridges: Licensed double locking JT580LP.
              * Pickups: Jackson branded. (Probably J-65 humbuckers and J-130 singlecoils.)
              * Machine Heads: Jackson label, 15:1.
              * Non-bound maple necks with rosewood fretboards and synthetic sharkfin inlays.
              * Neck Profile: Very thin C shape.
              * Scale length: 25.5" (650mm).
              * Confirmed finishes: Metallic Black, Metallic Blue, Transparent Purple, Transparent Blue, Transparent Red
              * Unconfirmed finishes: Transparent Green
              * Transparent finishes were over a flame maple veneer, and the back was in a solid color.

              Jackson AT-X
              ------------
              Body Style: Arch-top Dinky.
              Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
              Inlays: Standard Sharkfins.
              Headstock: Standard Jackson pointy.
              Pickup configuration: H-S-H.
              Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way blade switch.


              Jackson DR-X
              ------------
              Body Style: Dinky.
              Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
              Inlays: Reverse Sharkfins.
              Headstock: Reverse Jackson pointy.
              Pickup configuration: H-S-H.
              Controls: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5-way blade switch.


              Jackson KE-X
              ------------
              Body Style: Kelly.
              Frets: 24 jumbo frets.
              Inlays: Reverse Sharkfins.
              Headstock: Reverse Jackson pointy.
              Pickup configuration: H-H.
              Controls: 1 volume, 3-way toggle switch.


              Jackson RR-X
              ------------
              Body Style: Randy Rhoads with black aluminium pickguard.
              Frets: 22 jumbo frets.
              Inlays: Standard Sharkfins.
              Headstock: Standard Jackson pointy.
              Pickup configuration: H-H.
              Controls: 2 volume, 1 tone, 3-way toggle switch.


              Thank you for illuminating some things, especially with the Rhoads and Kelly models. Are there no confirmed images? I remember my initial search going absolutely nowhere which is a shame because they are interesting spec wise. There were never in a catalog either, right?


              ---

              And this is just to everyone in general: Who do I contact to change this thread name? It is wholly inaccurate and distracting now considering I do indeed have a database of sorts that I intend to keep working on until further notice. I can't stand the typo in it either! Can It just be " Charvel and Jackson model and accessory database project" ?
              Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
              My collection also there!

              Comment


              • #82
                Interesting how there was a KE-X, and there is a different KEX now: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en/gu...916131503.html

                Contact toejam and likely he will help you revise the thread title.

                Comment


                • #83
                  I do have images of each model on my hard drive, but I only own the rights to the RR-X pics. The others I found through Google. Google not being what it used to be though, they are pretty much impossible to find, so I will post them here later.

                  I don't think any of them were featured in a catalogue, but I remember seeing an online scan of a single page pamphlet featuring all four models, from a music store in Australia (or some such thing). But I don't have it anymore.

                  It is annoying that Jackson have recycled some model names, but I think they have such poor knowledge of their own history that they simply aren't aware that they are doing it; especially when it comes to obscure models and limited runs. The whole SL2H debacle was the most flagrant example I think.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    I do have images of each model on my hard drive, but I only own the rights to the RR-X pics. The others I found through Google. Google not being what it used to be though, they are pretty much impossible to find, so I will post them here later.

                    I don't think any of them were featured in a catalogue, but I remember seeing an online scan of a single page pamphlet featuring all four models, from a music store in Australia (or some such thing). But I don't have it anymore.

                    It is annoying that Jackson have recycled some model names, but I think they have such poor knowledge of their own history that they simply aren't aware that they are doing it; especially when it comes to obscure models and limited runs. The whole SL2H debacle was the most flagrant example I think.

                    I can give credits to whoever the owners are, very much worth it to keep it from being lost in the sands of time.

                    Regarding the model names I know Jackson does whatever they feel with special runs, but in this instance the KE-X should predate what we think if as modern X Series right? In the 90s an X suffix could be used, such as with the Concept Series, to simply denote something different about the model. Not unlike how some lower end models in the late 90s use ‘Pro’ in the title with nothing to do with the Professional line. Or how some imports around that time had a 1 suffix but where NOT USA made.

                    So if they were forgetting their own naming conventions they aren’t always waiting years later, it might be in the same general period. I guess I’m trying to say that in each period Jackson had a certain methodology of which there was always an exception somewhere in the catalog. That’s why this is so interesting to document sometimes.

                    ….

                    (Ramble alert!!) For those curious here is how I mentally separate the eras: Might add something like this to the site eventually. Yes I’m tired….

                    80s custom shop and Model Charvels: Soloist, rhoads, king v, Kelly, dinky, and other shapes. Model Charvels, the first imports in the family with a rather simple and numerical naming scheme. Points of interest? Several but I like how the Model 3DR is the first instance of ‘Dinky body and Reverse’ in the nomenclature, imitating what people were custom ordering.

                    89-96: Their first Jackson imports in the Professional line. There could be a subdivide here of 89-91 or 92 because toothpaste Charvels are running along side the original Pro Professionals. Then in 92 Professional split into the higher and lower stuff. USAs follow a Name-Custom scheme.

                    96-2000: USAs use Model-Number scheme and Professionals still exist but using the new naming scheme and now some don’t have the logo at all. A lot of models cross over later but a lot of experimental stuff is dropped. Some of oddball lower end stuff is here too because the JS series is in its infancy and there is no X Series either, so if it’s not US or Professional or Performer, or JS? Then they wing it!

                    2000-13: I kinda group the millennium to the end of org. MIJ but again we could made a micro separation in 2006 when we get some pickup and hardware changes. So some used to be Professionals become Pro series. Most of the nomenclature carry to modern times. We get US, Pro, X, MG, and JS for the most part. Names get messy at times and the SL2H plus other weirdness like the DXMG is here. I could go on, but I’ll stop.

                    13- onward: Another do over with nomenclature along with a segregated country of origin depending the model and the construction. I think more than ever that specifications of the same model change the most in this era, especially with woods out of environmental necessity. It’s usually simple here though. A X will always mean X Series. There is a stupid amount of Soloist variations though. I think they are biased, because other models like the Warrior King V etc get slim pickings!!


                    Ok, going to bed, lol.

                    Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                    My collection also there!

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Nicely written and encapsulated. We know there is far more nuance, complexity, and bizarre deviations than can be captured in a few paragraphs, but for you to have simplified it to that succinct degree while covering the broad strokes takes a great degree of understanding of the history and the evolution of the product line.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        I don't know if this is going to work. The pics don't show up in the preview window.

                        AT-X:


                        DR-X:


                        KE-X:


                        RR-X (with EMGs and a Schaller bridge):
                        Last edited by Sunbane; 11-24-2021, 02:35 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Sunbane Thank you! Turns out I had found images in the past for the Dinkies but the Kelly image was totally new to me and I wasn't certain about the image I already had for the Rhoads, so I'll go with that one so I can be sure I'm showing the right model.
                          Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                          My collection also there!

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Those are cool guitars!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X