No announcement yet.

Ngd score!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Henrik's site (scroll down to the Charvette section: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php) half the Charvette models were Japanese and half were Korean. I think you have two 170 models. Therefore, both are Japanese.

Comment

Cool. So just like the older Charvels and Jacksons, the closer dots are Japan and the further apart are Korean.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        According to Henrik's site (scroll down to the Charvette section: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php) half the Charvette models were Japanese and half were Korean. I think you have two 170 models. Therefore, both are Japanese.
        But what about the JT-6 Trem... no info that any Charvette got one... this guitar was heavily played... the frets are completely trashed so maybe the bridge was swapped at some point?

How can I tell the difference between plywood and basswood?

That's cool they both have the narrow 12 fret spacing.

sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

It's a good bet the JT6 was swapped in. The JT6 was a relic of the mid-late 80s and stopped being fitted to Jacksons and Charvels as factory equipment by 1989. The Charvettes, debuting 1989, were too late for the JT6. Your black Charvette 170 likely has the proper stock trem.

Comment

Interesting bundle. Congratulations!

Comment

It's a good bet the JT6 was swapped in.
              The plot thickens... what's interesting is the nut and truss rod cover are for a JT-6... seems like a lot of extra work to just do a bridge swap...?

Could be original?

Last edited by Nimitz; 03-06-2020, 01:43 PM.
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

You might actually be right. Here's another Charvette 170 with stock JT6. https://reverb.com/au/item/13839296-...-made-in-japan

I retract what I said before. I should really do more research into the Charvette guitars.

Perhaps Jackson/Charvel/Charvette wanted to finish using up remaining inventory of JT6 trems before implementing the JT580...? So it's possible you might have an "early" 170...?

The JT6 paired with a pull-up route is interesting to see, because I don't recall any other Jacksons or Charvels that have these two features paired together.

Comment

You might actually be right. Here's another Charvette 170 with stock JT6. https://reverb.com/au/item/13839296-...-made-in-japan
                  The plot thickens even more... because that reverb blue guitar has wide spacing dot markers on the 12th fret.... which I thought usually means Korea.

Not that anyone really cares too much about information on a Charvette LMAO

sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

LOL, you're right, it isn't really rewarding to be completely knowledgeable about Charvettes.

According to Henrik's site:

The Charvette Series - made in Korea

The Charvette Series neck plates looks quite different and plain compared to the Charvel plates. Some of them have the Ft. Worth stamp as shown in the picture.
                    The Charvette Series was introduced in late 1989 as low priced versions of the Charvel Series imports, with a suggested retail price range of $320 - $500.
                    My personal notes indicate that the production started with the 170 and 270 models.
                    They were initially made in Japan by Chushin Gakki, having basswood bodies, but soon the entire production of the Charvette Series was moved to Korea, introducing the use of plywood for the body.
                    So there are most likely both basswood and plywood versions of the 170 and 270 models out there.
                    Based on the above quote and everything we know so far, I would almost venture that your 170s are among the earliest examples, made in Japan with JT6s (remaining inventory) before production moved to Korea. Since the blue Charvette 170 I linked has Korean-spaced dots but still has a JT6, perhaps there were still leftover JT6 units needing to be used up first (in Korea) before the JT580 became standard (in Korea).

The above theory won't work if we find photos of a Japanese Charvette 170 with JT580. 😂

Comment

The above theory won't work if we find photos of a Japanese Charvette 170 with JT580. 😂
                      The other Charvette (not the crackle) I bought has this bridge... JT-580 Takeuchi

took it apart and soaked it in oil over night set it up this morning and it plays pretty nice... sounds like 1989 hair metal

Last edited by Nimitz; 03-07-2020, 09:09 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post

But what about the JT-6 Trem... no info that any Charvette got one... this guitar was heavily played... the frets are completely trashed so maybe the bridge was swapped at some point?
                        ....the route under that Takeuchi makes me think it's not its original bridge...

Comment

Originally posted by Luca1973 View Post

....the route under that Takeuchi makes me think it's not its original bridge...
                          didn't even notice that while I was setting it up.... Thanks
                          sigpic
                          Action Jackson

Comment

I think the Charvettes you have were made (sort of) from leftover parts of Fusion Deluxe overstock. The main difference is the Fusions had a JT-590 and a Floyd nut.

Comment

Working...
                            X