No announcement yet.

Early 90's Jackson Fusion/Charel Predator questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link works. In the Gibson world that finish is called Lightburst.

Comment

You know what is weird? On Saturday I took the guitar in to the local music store to talk to the guitar tech and as soon as he saw me he said "Hey, I have a guitar you have to see!" We went to the back corner where he works and when I opened up my case he said "No freakin way!", and he opened up a Charvel case and pulled out the exact same guitar. Well, not exact, it was a Charvel 375 with the exact same finish... so I know there are other guitars out there with the "lightburst" type of finish.

Anyway, he looked over my guitar and his advice was to buy a brand new Schaller with the proper size of nut... He thinks that maybe someone stripped the nut threads (like they did to the intonation screw) and replaced it with the wrong nut. When looking at the link to the new tremolo provided earlier on Schaller's website, I noticed it could be ordered with either the R2 or R3 nut, which have about 1.2mm difference in height. Dang... the Schaller tremolo is pricey!

Comment

Originally posted by FireEagle View Post
        Anyway, he looked over my guitar and his advice was to buy a brand new Schaller with the proper size of nut... He thinks that maybe someone stripped the nut threads (like they did to the intonation screw) and replaced it with the wrong nut. When looking at the link to the new tremolo provided earlier on Schaller's website, I noticed it could be ordered with either the R2 or R3 nut, which have about 1.2mm difference in height. Dang... the Schaller tremolo is pricey!
        Unfortunately the guy I got mine for $136 from on Ebay only offers them with a R2 nut. I already had a R3 so it didn't matter. If you could find a R3 from a guitar someone is parting out cheap enough it might still be cheaper to get the bridge from him. The Stratosphere was the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post

Unfortunately the guy I got mine for $136 from on Ebay only offers them with a R2 nut. I already had a R3 so it didn't matter. If you could find a R3 from a guitar someone is parting out cheap enough it might still be cheaper to get the bridge from him. The Stratosphere was the seller.
          That is the one I was looking at. I did see some used stuff on ebay that was in good shape. I REALLY hate to let a guitar go, but I've decided to send this one back to Guitar Center. I need to be more patient and wait for a Charvel Fusion Deluxe or Predator to come along.... If this Jackson was H-S I'd keep it and put the time/money into it. Thanks for all of the help and advice though!!

Comment

Originally posted by FireEagle View Post

That is the one I was looking at. I did see some used stuff on ebay that was in good shape. I REALLY hate to let a guitar go, but I've decided to send this one back to Guitar Center. I need to be more patient and wait for a Charvel Fusion Deluxe or Predator to come along.... If this Jackson was H-S I'd keep it and put the time/money into it. Thanks for all of the help and advice though!!
            Don't know how you feel about a maple fret board but there is this one on Reverb right now. https://reverb.com/item/28231034-cha...luxe-black-mij

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post

Don't know how you feel about a maple fret board but there is this one on Reverb right now. https://reverb.com/item/28231034-cha...luxe-black-mij
              Yeah, I saw that one the other day when looking around. A little beat up, but I don't mind that if it plays good. I've only had one maple boarded guitar before, an Ibanez RG3XXV.. Liked it and all, but that was the only one and I sold it to a friend years ago.

I'll definitely consider it, but I have to get my $$ back from Guitar Center first. Thanks for the heads-up!

Comment

I did return the Jackson Fusion to GC... Should have the $$ back any time. Missed a couple of Charvel Fusions by hesitating too long! I guess I was gun shy after the issues with the Jackson.

Anywho, Still looking for Charvel Fusion Deluxe if anyone out there knows of one for sale. Thanks!!!

Comment

The other day I saw the Fusion on GC used site and thought about this thread. I’m glad I double checked because it’s the same guitar. I wonder if the new owner will know about the issues?
                  Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                  My collection also there!

Comment

Originally posted by Mechayoshi View Post
                    The other day I saw the Fusion on GC used site and thought about this thread. I’m glad I double checked because it’s the same guitar. I wonder if the new owner will know about the issues?
                    Yeah, I saw it on there again too... It's not too bad of a deal, as the finish, frets, and everything else is immaculate. If a person helicoiled the baseplate (or replace the trem) and ground down the nut height it might be a great guitar. I just really want one without that pesky middle pickup.

So now I keep seeing old Ibanez Roadstar II RG440's in dark wine burst for sale... so tempting! Been a dream guitar of mine for a long, long, time.

Comment

Working...
                    X