Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 90's Jackson Fusion/Charel Predator questions

Hi there,
    I hope this is the right place to post this... I am looking into replacing a guitar I sold a few years ago, a Charvel Predator. One of the best playing guitars I ever had! Anyway, I am looking to get a guitar with the same feel and have been looking into the old Jackson Fusion guitars, as they have the 24.75" scale and a similar looking neck. Does anyone know if the Predator has the same neck profile as the Fusion Professional guitars of the early 90's?

My other question would be regarding the bridge pickup and tremolo... It looks like the later Fusions have the J85 bridge pickup, where the early ones had a J90? Is one better than the other? The same with the JT580 or JT590 tremolos... Is one better than the other? Did they make any with the H-S pickup configuration like the Predator had?

Any general advice regarding the early Fusion guitars would be appreciated! Looking to get my hands on a well made old school shredder with the shorter scale and that super awesome Charvel Predator style neck.

Thanks,
    Kyle
    Last edited by FireEagle; 08-16-2019, 09:14 AM.

I really don't know much about the Predator but from doing a google image search I believe the Fusion Deluxe is the model you want. It looks to have the same hum single configuration. I don't know how the neck profiles compare as I've never seen a Predator in person but I love the neck on my Fusion. Thinner than a Charvel 650xl( Soloist) but thicker than a Jackson Stealth. As to the bridge I think the JT590 is the one you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
      I really don't know much about the Predator but from doing a google image search I believe the Fusion Deluxe is the model you want. It looks to have the same hum single configuration. I don't know how the neck profiles compare as I've never seen a Predator in person but I love the neck on my Fusion. Thinner than a Charvel 650xl( Soloist) but thicker than a Jackson Stealth. As to the bridge I think the JT590 is the one you want.
      Thanks a lot for the info... I didn't know they made an HS Fusion model. I had only seen the HSS and HH models and was about to pull the trigger on one (HSS). My guess is they are pretty rare? I'll look around.

I've never played a Stealth, but I know the neck on the Soloist is on the thicker side. The Predator was just a nice feeling neck, not too thin and not too thick... I just don't have much experience with the early ones.

Thanks for the info on the trem too... I know some have softer metals and some are easier to find a standard Floyd Rose to replace it if necessary.

Seriously... I really appreciate the help! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by FireEagle View Post

Thanks a lot for the info... I didn't know they made an HS Fusion model. I had only seen the HSS and HH models and was about to pull the trigger on one (HSS). My guess is they are pretty rare? I'll look around.

I've never played a Stealth, but I know the neck on the Soloist is on the thicker side. The Predator was just a nice feeling neck, not too thin and not too thick... I just don't have much experience with the early ones.

Thanks for the info on the trem too... I know some have softer metals and some are easier to find a standard Floyd Rose to replace it if necessary.

Seriously... I really appreciate the help! Thanks again!
        No problem. Just keep checking Ebay and Reverb. About two months ago there was probably three Charvel Fusion Deluxe's for sale between them but now there's none. Day late and a dollar short as the saying goes. One should pop up eventually.

Comment

No problem. Just keep checking Ebay and Reverb. About two months ago there was probably three Charvel Fusion Deluxe's for sale between them but now there's none. Day late and a dollar short as the saying goes. One should pop up eventually.
          Will do... Thats the way it goes sometimes. I found one, but it has two knobs and a switch added to it. Not the best job either... Which is unfortunate because it is a real cool sea foam green. Seems to be more Jackson Fusion Std's around, which peak my interest as well. It's hard to be patient when you have the $$ and are ready to buy, but I will try to resist and wait for the right one to come along.

Comment

Here's one just popped up on Reverb. https://reverb.com/item/27312734-cha...foam-turquoise I think they want too much though. The ones that were on there a couple months ago were in the $350 to $500 dollar range. There was a rainbow crackle one on Ebay that went for under $500.

Comment

Here's one just popped up on Reverb. https://reverb.com/item/27312734-cha...foam-turquoise I think they want too much though. The ones that were on there a couple months ago were in the $350 to $500 dollar range. There was a rainbow crackle one on Ebay that went for under $500.
              Yeah, that's a bit steep! I'm a fan of Rick Beato and all, but not EMG pickups really. Too bad, I love the color. I have been checking every day lately and trying my best to be patient. Almost pulled the trigger on a Jackson Fusion, but holding out for now. I just hope the car doesn't break down or something really important come up that requires my guitar $.

Doing some research I came across another old H-S Charvel, sort of... the Charvette 170? I read mixed info about them, some said they were junk and others said the 170/270 guitars were MIJ right beside the Charvels. Some said they had the same necks and bodies, some said they had plywood or laminated wood bodies? Trying to find more info...

Thanks again for the heads-up!! I sure appreciate it.

Comment

Well I just couldn't seem to find a Charvel Fusion Deluxe like I wanted that was affordable... and all of the Jackson Fusions in my price range were going like hotcakes. So I jumped on the last one I knew of that was in good shape at a guitar center in TX. Supposed to be a 1994 Fusion, but has a 7 digit serial number 9401***? Is that right?

Should have it in a few days... \m/

Comment

What prices are you seeing?

I have a pair of Fusion Deluxes. One stock - a case queen. Another I put together from parts - a Fusion PRO neck, and EMG pickups wired at 18 volts.

I played my stock one the other day. Such a nice guitar to play.

My stock one has a J90C in the bridge (not covered), and chrome JT-590 hardware. It's dark blue / indigo?

My Custom has a metallic red body, EMG81 (oversize pickup ring from fretsonthenet.com) and EMG-S, NOS Schaller JT-590 hardware in black. The headstock has the low E headstock break and repair, which was nicely done. It's a beauty of a guitar.

Good luck with your. Is it the offset fret markers?

Comment

pickups varied from model to model. Fusions could come with a J80, J85, J90, J92 in the bridge eg. the Fusion Plus came with a J80/J50 pair.

The JT-590 was made by Schaller. The JT-580 by Takeuchi. The Tak is a good bridge, but the Schaller is better.

If you really want a JT-590, you're probably limited to Charvel Fusions. When Fusion production moved over to Jackson, they changed the bridge to the JT-580
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      What prices are you seeing?

I have a pair of Fusion Deluxes. One stock - a case queen. Another I put together from parts - a Fusion PRO neck, and EMG pickups wired at 18 volts.

I played my stock one the other day. Such a nice guitar to play.

My stock one has a J90C in the bridge (not covered), and chrome JT-590 hardware. It's dark blue / indigo?

My Custom has a metallic red body, EMG81 (oversize pickup ring from fretsonthenet.com) and EMG-S, NOS Schaller JT-590 hardware in black. The headstock has the low E headstock break and repair, which was nicely done. It's a beauty of a guitar.

Good luck with your. Is it the offset fret markers?
                      Thanks... I know the Fusion Deluxes come around every now and then, but I just had no luck and if I waited too long the money I had saved up would get used for actual important stuff... I was limited to $500 I had saved by selling a bass and a couple of old amps. I saw one crackle finish Predator for $1150, one decent turquoise Fusion Deluxe for $875, and one butchered turquoise Fusion Deluxe for $500 plus pricey shipping.

I really wanted and H-S guitar, but had been watching several H-S-S Jackson Fusion Std's in the $400 - $450 price range, 2 DMB and 2 DMR and one burst. They were not moving at all, then suddenly they started disappearing one by one until they were all gone! I panicked and bought the last one in my price range, a burst finish (with the offset fret markers, which I really dig) from the Guitar Center in Houston, TX listed at $399. When I called and talked to a person at the store the guitar sounded like it was flawless and hardly had any play time, frets not worn, no dings or scratches, finish not even worn on the trem... but we'll see what shape its really in when it arrives. The bad news is that I didn't realize Houston was flooded in a major way!! It still has not shipped, as the interstates were all closed in that area! Damn the luck! Oh well, those people had more to worry about than an old guitar.

We'll see how I like it... I really want one that feels like the old Predator I used to have. If it's not the same, I can always look around in the future for a Fusion Deluxe.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          pickups varied from model to model. Fusions could come with a J80, J85, J90, J92 in the bridge eg. the Fusion Plus came with a J80/J50 pair.

The JT-590 was made by Schaller. The JT-580 by Takeuchi. The Tak is a good bridge, but the Schaller is better.

If you really want a JT-590, you're probably limited to Charvel Fusions. When Fusion production moved over to Jackson, they changed the bridge to the JT-580
                          According to the specs I looked up, it should have a pair of J200R's and a J85 dual rail? I don't know how that bridge humbucker will compare to the one that was in my old Predator, but I'll check it out. Worst come to worst, I really like the D-Activator/Air Norton S combo in a basswood guitar. Should have a JT-580 trem, so we'll see how it does. I would have preferred a Predator or Fusion Deluxe, but they are pretty hard to come by at the moment and, as one of the working poor, it is very rare for me to have the extra money for a guitar. Hopefully I got a decent deal on a great playing guitar! (knock on wood)

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post

I have a Jackson Fusion Std. with a JT-590. Not sure of the year. '93 I think. I think the early Jacksons had the JT-590 then they switched over to the JT-580. Browsing Ebay and Reverb the past year or so I've seen both. For some reason I'm thinking the ones I've seen with the JT-580 were '94s.

Comment

Originally posted by FireEagle View Post

According to the specs I looked up, it should have a pair of J200R's and a J85 dual rail? I don't know how that bridge humbucker will compare to the one that was in my old Predator, but I'll check it out. Worst come to worst, I really like the D-Activator/Air Norton S combo in a basswood guitar. Should have a JT-580 trem, so we'll see how it does. I would have preferred a Predator or Fusion Deluxe, but they are pretty hard to come by at the moment and, as one of the working poor, it is very rare for me to have the extra money for a guitar. Hopefully I got a decent deal on a great playing guitar! (knock on wood)
                              I thought the J85 that came in my Fusion was a little dark/muddy for my tastes. Plenty of output just didn't quiet care for it in that guitar. I put a Duncan Designed HB103 in it which is a clone of the SH-6 Duncan Distortion and I really think it sounds great now.

Comment

Working...
                              X