Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specific reasons why you prefer bolt on's vs. neck thru or set necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific reasons why you prefer bolt on's vs. neck thru or set necks?

Just saw some people here prefer Dinky over Soloists. Just curious why you guys feel that way?

Is there a difference in sound that is significant enough that you like better?
    Body weight?
    Feel?

bolt on lover here. I'll speak of factors that are pertinent to the average player who will probably never break a headstock or neck, and not of the professional luthier who has to repair them.

1. cost: actual cost and perceived cost. a bolt on can be perceived by the player as a more "workhorse" instrument due to its heritage. this is really an aesthetic thing and is kind of hard to describe
    2. modularity: the popularity of "mutts" is a a testament to how popular mixing and matching OEM necks and bodies can be
    3. neck finish: traditionally the bolt ons have had a clear, satin, or oil finish, which many prefer over the painted finish of set necks. obviously in this day and age, there are exceptions, with painted neck bolt ons and oil finish neck-thrus, but those are the exceptions

I recognize some people may regard the sound difference as significant, but that's not a factor I notice
    Last edited by metalhobo; 05-19-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

easier to fix if something stupid happens to the neck...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I no longer have a preference between the two (neck thru vs bolt on), or 4 if you include set neck and set thru. But I do have a preference in designs. And those designs, obviously, vary from brand to brand - sometimes model to model.

I prefer an unfinished neck, but that is no longer limited to bolt on. But some guitars use this nasty feeling waxy finish on their necks which is just a huge turn off. Yet, I don't hate a painted neck. Although, I have found that most painted neck bolt on guitars... it just feels like a different type of paint job than a neck thru painted neck (not in a good way).

I originally didn't like neck thru because the heels were so thick. That design has been changed over the years, with many allowing "smooth access". But most of those should be considered set thru.
        But the weird part is, I don't hate the bolt on heel. Even though it is just as thick as the neck thru that I didn't like, it provides a "thumb plant" for me.

Minor changes of tone don't matter when you run distortion.

Comment

I prefer a bolt on neck but I don't hate a nice neck thru Jackson.
          I have had plenty of both kinds but I find bolt on necks just work better for me
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well cool guys, it was good to hear your opinions. A musical instrument is very personal, so I expected personal opinions.
            Do u think Jackson should adopt a similar easy access contoured bolt on like Ibanez guitars? U got the best of both worlds here.
            At least the DK2M have the cutaway in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post
              Well cool guys, it was good to hear your opinions. A musical instrument is very personal, so I expected personal opinions.
              Do u think Jackson should adopt a similar easy access contoured bolt on like Ibanez guitars? U got the best of both worlds here.
              At least the DK2M have the cutaway in the back.
              I've always liked the look of the j/c neckplates, and a contoured heel would prohibit that.

Comment

doesn't matter to me either way...i have a bunch of ibanezes, some with the aanj and some with the neckplate...either works for me...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Working...
                X