Jackson/Charvel explorer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson/Charvel explorer project

While I was working through my Epiphone Matthias Jabs’ explorer project with Lee at GMW, I started to talk to him about another explorer idea that I’ve had using either a Jackson or Charvel neck. Lee told me he had a template for an explorer body and could cut the body and route it for either a 22 or 24 fret neck and whatever bridge type I wanted. So after looking around for a while, I found a neck, neck plate and tuners from a Charvel model 4 and shipped them out to GMW so Lee could build a guitar around them.

When he was ready to route the body, Lee asked if I wanted to use a standard Gibson explorer shape or the Jackson/Charvel explorer. Turns out that Lee has copies of both body shape templates. He told me that they are identical in size on the exterior shape and the main difference is the lower horn has a deeper cut on the Jackson/Charvel to allow for better fret access. So I looked through my pictures library and found a bunch of J/C explorers. Sure enough they had the deeper cut, which I hadn’t noticed before. So I decided to run with the J/C explorer body.

Here’s a pic of the 2 explorer templates that Lee sent me with the J/C one on the bottom.

And here’s a couple pics of some Jackson and Charvel explorers in case you wanted to see this lower horn, including the recent Jackson explorers at NAMM. My guitar body has already been cut, sealed and painted. It should be finished up in the next 2-3 weeks and I’ll post up some pics of that project. But I just wanted to pass along this info on the J/C explorer body and Lee’s template in case anyone else had some interest in doing an explorer, especially since there seemed like a lot of positive comments about the Jackson explorer that was shown at NAMM this year.

Oh dang, I want a Jackson Explorer bad!! If Jackson does an Explorer Custom Select, I`m getting one for sure.

Comment

Never knew that about the Jackson Explorer! Now that you point it out, I can't unsee it!

Didn't get to comment in your Jabsplorer thread but that was an awesome guitar.

Comment

I had an 84 Charvel Explorer, and always found it uncomfortable to play the high frets. Not enough room for my hands by the 16 fret up. I don't know if the Charvel was based on the Gibson, and the Jackson was refined.

Comment

I had an Ibanez Destroyer back in the early 80s, traded it for a Gibson Flying V which I still have and love to bits but wish I still had the Destroyer.

I would love a Jackson Explorer, especially after seeing Adrian Smith of Maiden with one on a recent tour (Book of Souls?). Can't wait to see your pics, I could be up for ordering a body - I'm in the UK but have a mate living in the USA who comes over regularly.
          Last edited by darrellm; 04-04-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I've got a Charvel Fusion neck I picked up for a possible project. This is one of the ideas I've been kicking around. Doing an Explorer body. Partially because it seemed like it would be easier for a beginner to cut from a blank since I wouldn't have to do a belly or arm cut. That and I've slowly just been really beginning to like that shape.

I wonder if they also changed the horn/cutaway slightly to avoid a lawsuit.

Comment

GMW finished up my Charvel explorer this past weekend and shipped it out to me. I should have it by the end of the week. Here’s a pic after the body was cut, sealed and mocked up with the model 4 neck along with a few shots that Lee sent of the finished guitar.

It’s an alder body with a Seymour Duncan custom pickup. The paint scheme is a throw back to the early 80s as a tribute to Dez Dickerson, Prince’s original guitarist on his first 3 albums. Most people don’t know him by name but recognize his vocals on some early Prince songs, especially 1999 and Little Red Corvette. I always liked the split red/black graphic and wanted an explorer with simple, single hum/single volume layout and stop tail bridge. Looking forward to jamming on this one later this week!

Comment

Wow, that looks really cool!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You know, this thread got me looking at KNE bodys, specifically the V and the explorer, since I just so happen to have a charvel model series that I am just not interested in putting any more work into, that neck would look sick on one of those bodies. thank you for the GAS
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Very cool. How was that Schaller strap lock installed on the neck plate? What kind of screw is it? Stock or modded somehow? I want to install strap locks on my Jackson Star.

Comment

Not sure how Lee installed the strap lock on the back. We talked about though. Most of the SD Jackson and Charvel explorers have the strap button drilled through the top area of the center of the neck plate. Lee asked if I wanted to do that. I opted to have it set in the corner of the neck plate using the same screw. So I don't know what he used, but I can ask.

Comment

Yes that drilling through neck plate works if neck pocket is full thickness style. Please ask Lee how he did the install.

Comment

Working...
                        X