Jackson graphic finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson graphic finishes

When/why did Jackson stop offering the graphics finishes on their USA models? I'm looking to get my hands on an SL2H or SL2HT in Blue or Green Ghost Flames but the Jackson website doesn't show these as possible options other than through their custom shop.

Any idea if/when they're being brought back?

Most of the graphic or non Fender color codes disappeared shortly after moving the factory from Ontario to Corona, probably within the first two years after the move with a few options sticking around a year or two longer.

I don't expect any of them to come back unless there is some special order from one of the high volume Jackson dealers.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

That's a shame. Why did they discontinue them? Not enough demand?

Also, what's the ballpark estimate for a custom shop SL2HT? I know the cost of a custom shop guitar depends on the selections but do you have any idea what it'd cost for a ghost flame soloist with dimarzios and stainless steel frets?

Comment

Stainless steel frets would make it a Masterbuild and last I heard MB's weren't being accepted at the moment.

I'd ballpark a Custom Select SL2HT without the SS frets, but with the DM's and Ghost Flames in the $3000USD out the door ballpark?
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Colours aside from pretty much black and white have been a Custom Select order for a few years now.

It must have been 4-5 years since a few options were available on production models? Not long ago. Same as the SL2HT...it was a production model for about 10 years, then they made it a Custom Select not long ago.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Used SL2H soloists with these graphics pop up for sale every now and then. Blue ghost flames was more popular than green. You could always find a used soloist that has been played for a decent price and then send it out to get refinished at GMW, DRL or Mike Learn. That way you can tailor the colors and flame layout to your liking. In the end, that route is probably less expensive and quicker than getting a custom MB or Custom Select.

Comment

Originally posted by Scalphunter View Post
              That's a shame. Why did they discontinue them? Not enough demand?

Also, what's the ballpark estimate for a custom shop SL2HT? I know the cost of a custom shop guitar depends on the selections but do you have any idea what it'd cost for a ghost flame soloist with dimarzios and stainless steel frets?
              As said above, pretty much everything is Custom Select now, but from the 2018 price sheet I have, the good news is Ghost Flame is an option, for $550 list. You'd probably pay 2500-3k for a ghost flame SL2HT, depending on the balance of specs you choose.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                Stainless steel frets would make it a Masterbuild and last I heard MB's weren't being accepted at the moment.

I'd ballpark a Custom Select SL2HT without the SS frets, but with the DM's and Ghost Flames in the $3000USD out the door ballpark?
                Unless something changed recently, this isn't accurate. Stainless frets were a $300 Custom Select option as recently as the 2018 option sheet.

Comment

I have sent in a couple of custom shop spec sheets for quotes. I'll see if those are affordable. If not, I'll just keep an eye out for a used ghost flame soloist and then get it refinished if needed.

I was over at the Ibanez website and their color choices make Jackson look woefully inadequate.

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  from the 2018 price sheet I have, the good news is Ghost Flame is an option, for $550 list.
                  Where do you get this price sheet? All I can find is the spec sheet.
                  Last edited by Scalphunter; 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Ahhh, I haven't had a glance at the spec sheets in months, but SS frets may've been an option on Custom Selects all along...my memory is toast.

Comment

I am not buying new guitars, so my opinion may not account for much...
                      With the exception of basic designs like a snakeskin or zebra, I wouldn't want cookie cutter graphics.
                      How many piles of skulls can one guy buy. After you see 100 of them, they don't even look cool anymore.

Comment

I just heard back about those specs I'd sent in and it seems things have changed a bit. Here's what the guy I'm getting the guitar through said:

They have undergone a big internal change. I was informed that standard wait time for a custom shop guitar is roughly 7 to 9 months and requires half down.

What was the process like in the past ? How much did Jackson ask as a down payment to begin building the guitar?

Edit: Just heard back about the custom order and Jackson/Fender won't accept the order unless my dealer purchases more of their guitars and becomes a level 3 dealer. Never thought I'd see a company turn down an order. The wait time is also supposedly between 11 and 14 months.

Have any of you guys experienced this?
                        Last edited by Scalphunter; 01-16-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Just heard back about the custom order and Jackson/Fender won't accept the order unless my dealer purchases more of their guitars and becomes a level 3 dealer. Never thought I'd see a company turn doen an order.
                          This is fairly standard. Not all dealers are custom shop dealers.

Comment

I just heard back about those specs I'd sent in and it seems things have changed a bit. Here's what the guy I'm getting the guitar through said:
                            Nothing has changed to the end user or dealer as far as I know... it's up to the dealer how much he's willing to charge for a down payment or how much you'll pay. Jackson has a huge backlog of Masterbuild/Custom Shop guitars that still looks like it's taking 3-4 years, and stopped taking those orders maybe around a year ago.

There have been rumors for a few years that their Custom Shop workflow is being changed again. In Ontario, the (pre-"Masterbuild" era) Custom Shop and USA Selects shared work-flow space. When they moved it to Corona they separated. USA Selects stopped being hand crafted and were put on a CNC line which optimized workflow allowing them to later offer Custom Selects. Custom Shop / Masterbuild space adopted more of a Fender Custom Shop work flow which slowed down production, whereas in Ontario Custom Shop guitars were sent down the line with USA Selects to be processed for paint and final assembly and testing. Also, in the transition from Ontario to Corona, many of the real Jackson paint SKUs (including many graphics) were eliminated and started using Fender paint colors because Jackson no longer had their own dedicated paint booth, only getting unused time from the Fender paint booth, which is another reason for delays processing Custom / Masterbuild orders.

At least that is what I know from piecing all the info together..
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Well, just to be clear, I'm getting a quote for a Custom Select guitar. I'm pretty sure the Custom Selects are not built by your choice of luthier and are just CNC made guitar with your specs. I've decided to go ahead with a new authorized Jackson custom shop dealer. Waiting to hear back on that quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X