Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henrik's Audiozone.dk website is slowly dying :( Jackson/Charvel Wikia never launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every founder of a community is automatically granted*admin*access on the wiki they founded, in addition to bureaucrat status.Bureaucrats can grant other users bureaucrat, admin, rollback, and content moderators access.Admins can grant other users discussion moderator and chat moderator access.You can become an admin in an inactive wiki through*Adoption Requests.

So the founder I would imagine wont change if we adopt his page. Only way we can have founder status is to create a wiki from scratch. Which isn't out of the question, but his has the ideal name. Feel free to discuss, either method I think is a good option.

Admins have the ability to overrule edits, remove wiki edit access if necessary, and have have unhindered access to the wikis core as well as some other things. You're also responsible in a sense for staying in touch with the wiki and monitoring it to an extent.

As for adding content, forgoing admin status and simply creating an account and joining the wiki is plenty good as well and you will be capable of editing and adding new content as you see fit.

In terms of how you add content it's kinda middle of the road difficulty. They've created a mostly user friendly editing mode that utilizes some html but they help you along with it quite a bit. If you're editing a fair bit and practicing you'll pick it up quick. Also the beauty of the wiki is you can create a page, set it up as you see fit, save it, then view it instantly.
    Don't like the layout? Move some things around and check k it again.

I really like what Ibanez did on there wiki with the portal section.
    Instead of clicking through 10 links to see one guitar, it works in a hierarchy system using expand and subtract to dive into the information all on one page.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      As long as you reformat it and credit him for the source, I don't see why there would be any problems.

I'd say PM Tekky for the MOAIP data, but he probably deleted it or lost it by now. I originally offered to do it, but he was too egotistical to let anyone else do it. And then he didn't do it.
      IIRC it wasn't Tekky. It was Jeremy that wouldn't let others help with the MOAIP. A lot of people offered to help but he insisted on maintaining complete control
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the crash course Heavymetal2000!

If we were to create our own account, a logical alternative name would be jacksoncharvelguitars.wikia.com.

Thinking out loud again. You mentioned you placed a request to adopt the existing Wikia. Are you in touch with the original founder, or do who know who it is? If we create a bunch of new content on "his" Wikia, and he sees it as a "hijack" of "his" Wikia, is there the risk that he can pull the plug on the account and kill all our progress?

This is worst case scenario, and really the only advantage I currently see with the existing Wikia not being founded by "one of us" JCFers. Who knows, maybe the founder is even a JCFer who simply abandoned his online presence.

At least if we start our own Wikia, and assign a longtime trusted JCFer to be the founder, I feel more trusting if it's fully owned and controlled by known parties here. Example: Having someone legitimate like toejam be the founder in name only (he's the most active JCF Admin), if nothing else just to lend credence and permanence to the project because he ain't going nowhere (we love you toejam LOL) and then longtime/knowledgeable/enthusiastic guys like Heavymetal2000, EntrailsOfU, kamanda, and I (and anyone else who wants to help) actually doing the heavy lifting (content creation, writeups, formatting, assembly, etc.).

Also having our own Wikia would mitigate the scenario described by VitaminG where not one person TIED TO JCF retains sole control of content created ON JCF PROPER (as I recall the MOAIP was supposed to be hosted on the JCF website, owned by Sandman0170/Jeremy). Well, by essence, a Wikia is collaborative in nature anyway, but also the Wikia would be "independent" of JCF (and not needing to be hosted by Jeremy on JCF like the MOAIP was supposed to be). This would give more control for content creators, and enable process without administrative holdups.

The original founder going rogue and pulling the plug might be a moot point if we (as "beaurocrats" or "admins") can plead with Wikia.com to overrule and reinstate the content. I figure that nothing on the internet is ever deleted forever and the content can be restored.

This sounds intriguing enough that I will register an account on the existing Wikia and start exploring.
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-07-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely open to starting a brand new one from scratch as well.
          I like the name alternative as well!
          If Toejam is up for holding the founder position I personally have no qualms with that whatsoever, keep in mind though that founder plays no real role in controlling the wiki beyond assigning its first bureaucrat, it is simple a name plate for the person who brought the wiki to life. All users with bureaucratic rights will have the same power.

If this is the case, I can dismiss the adoption request and we can get to work right away. We'll just need Toejam to let us know if he accepts, and create the wiki's opening page.
          After that he can assign the bureaucrats etc when he so chooses and we can starting creating content.

Comment

Oh! So any of the bureaucrats could consequently nix the page. In that case, it might not matter who owns it (the mysterious original owner, or toejam/JCFer if we started our own).

I created my account (Number Of The Priest) and practiced creating a page. http://jacksoncharvel.wikia.com/wiki/Shannon_Soloist It's rough and I can't understand why my Years field is a different color than the rest of the table, and why my paragraph breaks for the different finishes aren't manifesting as actual paragraph breaks. I have a basic knowledge of HTML (enough to create basic webpages as if I were doing an amateurish high school project page in 1996) and looking at the source code I cannot figure out why these errors appear. Maybe I should just be a content creator and leave it to someone else to clean up my work I swear I want to learn! I just want to emulate the Ibanez Wikia!

EDIT: An update from Tekky. He may be able to retrieve and send me the MOAIP files from his now-corrupted, now-deleted website, but if not, we can get by without. There is plenty of content in the catalogs, Henrik & AlienXnation's sites, and the JCF to keep us busy for a good long while.
            Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-07-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I still think it would be nice to have our own as well founded by us but I'm open to either.
              I havent cancelled the request yet until its decided.

Wikia also offers a sort of democratic approach should we so choose to enable it.
              It allows the beuracrats to vote if someone should be removed of there status if they disappear or post malicious content, vandalism etc...

I think it's a good idea myself, this way the power never rests in one person's hands alone, but that's also up for debate.

As for editing and creating pages, there is a guide on the wikis main site that explains quite a bit, you can refer to it if you're having issues with something in particular.

I'll try creating some content as well on the existing one and see what happens.

Comment

Just check led out the shannon soloist page, it looks good to me from what I can see.
                I'm on mobile site atm but its readable and laid out well on the mobile page

Comment

Maybe keep the request active. If you are granted the adoption, great. If we decide to start our own afterwards, DOUBLE GREAT, you own both and wield immense power

Thanks, I'll check out the help guides and tweak my draft accordingly! I had lifted the specifications table template from the Ibanez Wikia so I didn't expect errors to mysteriously manifest on our Wikia. I'm sure I'll also quickly learn how to effectively use the editing interface.

Comment

Sounds good, I'll keep it active for now.
                    I've also come across another pretty hefty resource for Jackson related material.
                    Have a look through this when you get a chance.

https://guitarinside.com/Jackson_pickups

Theres far more info there then pickups as well, multiple categories, catalog scans etc...
                    Serial number database for Amaerican models, and a fairly large list of models/origins

Comment

Originally posted by Heavymetal2000 View Post
                      Holy Moses! First time I've seen that site. Surprised I've never seen it before. They did well!

Do you know who owns it? I figure we could join them if they need our help (they have current models on there, suggesting that they keep on top of new releases); otherwise we might not need to do much, if anything at all...

EDIT: Just realized they cover Jacksons only. No Charvels.
                      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-07-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Yeh its strictly Jackson.
                        But there's nothing stopping us from contacting him in regards to the information.

Also, all the information is public. There are no copyrights so using it as a resource but not directly copying it isn't against any laws. But I did notice there were updates as recent as 2017 so it we could try contacting the guy.

Comment

I needed to consult Henrik's http://www.Audiozone.dk website today and discovered it finally died. Sad. It was a great resource.

I now visit the archived version, accessible via this arbitrary page: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...ofessional.php

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            I needed to consult Henrik's http://www.Audiozone.dk website today and discovered it finally died. Sad. It was a great resource.

I now visit the archived version, accessible via this arbitrary page: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...ofessional.php
                            It's been dead for at least a year. I saved the "Tremolo Info Project" page a few years ago, and I'm damn glad I did.

You're right. That page was chock full of great information. It's sad to see it go after all these years.
                            Last edited by Razor; 07-02-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X