Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to Charvel Chainsaw Case (for pointy headstock, full Strat bodies)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Charvel Chainsaw Case (for pointy headstock, full Strat bodies)?

I have come to realize how bizarre the Charvel Model Series is. Aside from the classic Charvel Chainsaw Case (visual examples below), it is very difficult finding a molded, form-fitting, hardshell case that will fit a full-sized Strat body in combination with a pointy, angled-back headstock (such as the Model 1, Model 2, Model 3, or Model 4). Any recommendations? (My Model 1C is still "swimming" around inside a generic case.)

This is part of my ongoing "case quest", previously seen here where I am able to fit various superstrats into the Charvel SKB case (Part Number 90915000): https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...=1#post1663248. As you can see, the case will allow a full-sized Strat body (yay!) but not in combination with a pointy/angled headstock (boo!).

Last week I scored a used, near-mint Jackson SKB case, seen below (Part Number 299-6100-506) for CAD$60 (USD$47.45) which is nearly identical to the Charvel case except there is more space carved out for a wide range of headstock types and angles (yay!) but sadly will only fit superstrat bodies and not full-sized Strat bodies (boo!), which is the opposite situation seen in the Charvel case in the above paragraph. Thus, the quest continues.

I like the standard Gator case that you find at Sam Ash (don't recall any model number). Those fit my Jackson Strats like a glove.

Comment

I have that same problem especially w the few BC Rich st3s ive gotten w no cases. Ive been lucky to,find a couple of chainsaw style cases on CL pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        I like the standard Gator case that you find at Sam Ash (don't recall any model number). Those fit my Jackson Strats like a glove.
        Funny you mention Gator... I have a Gator case, Model Name "GC-Electric-A" http://gatorcases.com/products/guita...gc-electric-a/ and it's a generic case with a rectangular cavity not meant to fit any one guitar body specifically. My Strat bodies slide around in that, but a few rolled-up hand towels can pad the interior. I'm just obsessed about matching guitars with "appropriate" cases.

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
        I have that same problem especially w the few BC Rich st3s ive gotten w no cases. Ive been lucky to,find a couple of chainsaw style cases on CL pretty cheap.
        Seriously. I can imagine many Strat-bodied guitars that have angled, long headstocks so I'm surprised this configuration isn't more readily available in a molded case. Been watching classified ads across Canada for over a year waiting for an inexpensive, functional chainsaw case. No success.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          Funny you mention Gator... I have a Gator case, Model Name "GC-Electric-A" http://gatorcases.com/products/guita...gc-electric-a/ and it's a generic case with a rectangular cavity not meant to fit any one guitar body specifically. My Strat bodies slide around in that, but a few rolled-up hand towels can pad the interior. I'm just obsessed about matching guitars with "appropriate" cases.
          I'm at a bit of a loss here, mine really don't "slide around". The wider base of the body fits snug, the horns have a bit of a gap from the sides but the neck holds it in place. In the other directions there is a slight bit of play, but not enough for the headstock to touch the side of the case.

Comment

I always have the problem when I have a reverse pointy and the case doesnt do both. Time to knock out some foam. Imagine tryint to put a 3dr or predator in that chainsaw case you have pictured.

Comment

Side note: That red one with the zebra pickups...wow.

Comment

That Model 3A does look great! I can't remember where I found the image, but a closer photo shows it has a Takeuchi bridge.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                I'm at a bit of a loss here, mine really don't "slide around". The wider base of the body fits snug, the horns have a bit of a gap from the sides but the neck holds it in place. In the other directions there is a slight bit of play, but not enough for the headstock to touch the side of the case.

Oh man that's a killer guitar.

You were right. I previously spoke out of my ass, and this time I actually tried my Model 1C in the Gator case and it's admittedly decent, looking similar to your guitar in your Gator case. Not perfectly form-fitting, but it does shift around considerably less than a superstrat does in the same case, and it shifts around less than it does in most of my other generic cases which have roomier body sections. Looks like I'll give this Gator case to the Model 1C! A good enough match. Thanks!

Comment

Cool, glad it worked out.

Comment

Resurrecting my own topic because I have a similar but different question.

Were there DIFFERENT Charvel chainsaw cases? ie - was there one type that fit the Model 1/2/3/4 (full Strat body + pointy headstock), another type that fit the 3DR ("22-fret Dinky" body + reverse pointy headstock), and another that fit the Model 5/6 (Soloist construction + pointy headstock)? Were there more, not counting the chainsaw cases meant for Charvel basses like the Model 1B/2B/3B/4B?

You'd be surprised how difficult it is finding clear pictures on Google Images of various Model Series guitars resting in their matching cases.

Basically what I want to determine is if a Model 1 will fit in a case meant for a Model 6 (or vice versa). My guess is that a Model 6 might fit in a Model 1 case, but not the other way around.

I'm still on the hunt for an inexpensive (and preferably local) period-correct chainsaw case for my Model 1C, just because I'll always be particular about finding matching cases for my orphaned guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Resurrecting my own topic because I have a similar but different question.

Were there DIFFERENT Charvel chainsaw cases? ie - was there one type that fit the Model 1/2/3/4 (full Strat body + pointy headstock), another type that fit the 3DR ("22-fret Dinky" body + reverse pointy headstock), and another that fit the Model 5/6 (Soloist construction + pointy headstock)? Were there more, not counting the chainsaw cases meant for Charvel basses like the Model 1B/2B/3B/4B?

You'd be surprised how difficult it is finding clear pictures on Google Images of various Model Series guitars resting in their matching cases.

Basically what I want to determine is if a Model 1 will fit in a case meant for a Model 6 (or vice versa). My guess is that a Model 6 might fit in a Model 1 case, but not the other way around.

I'm still on the hunt for an inexpensive (and preferably local) period-correct chainsaw case for my Model 1C, just because I'll always be particular about finding matching cases for my orphaned guitars.

until a couple threads ago, I didn't know that the strat shapes fit in the chainsaw cases at all.
                      but i did know that the internal layouts for the various 7/8 bodies are different.

I believe that they were all the same on the outside. but the formation of the guts on the inside was very much different.
                      how different??? well, that is up for others to help with. but i do know you have the bolt on, neck thru, and reverse headstock models.

Comment

I have a SKB Freedom case that is their cheaper line of cases. They're $137. new on Musician's Friend but can be found for under $100 used on Ebay. I fits my fusion well with plenty of room around the headstock point but it is the shorter scale. I will have to put my Charvel 650xl in it and see if it has ample room as well. It is a universal style so both body styles will fit. Not sure about the support under the body but there is a channel that almost the whole neck lays in similar to the chainsaw case.

Comment

Working...
                        X