Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soloist "reissues" - Shannon Soloist, SL2H-V, 30th Anniversary Soloist, any others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist "reissues" - Shannon Soloist, SL2H-V, 30th Anniversary Soloist, any others?

What are the modern tributes, homages, reissues, etc. of the San Dimas Soloist? Other than the ones I've gathered below, were there others?

-1998 SHS1 Shannon Soloist
    -- http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/151...non-98-Soloist

-2012 SL2H-V Soloist
    -- http://www.jacksonguitars.com/blog/p...m-shop-sl2h-v/

-2014 30th Anniversary Soloist
    -- http://www.jacksonguitars.com/blog/p...rsary-soloist/

Check this out. Not sure what it is, but I notice it has a non-recessed trem and the Shannon signature.

No recess on a '91 would seem out of place for a standard production model wouldn't it? It does have a Uxxxxx serial, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Jackson...-/182328156961
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      Check this out. Not sure what it is, but I notice it has a non-recessed trem and the Shannon signature.

No recess on a '91 would seem out of place for a standard production model wouldn't it? It does have a Uxxxxx serial, though.

Looks like binding over frets as well. Might the seller be mistaking a 98 as a 91?

Comment

There was a run of "Student" Soloists done in the 90s, as well. IIRC, this was a dealer-inspired run of guitars. Might've been DCGL, not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post

Normal 1998 Shannon Soloist. Serial number UO5888 (maybe; difficult to zoom in to the end of the fretboard).

Mine has serial number UO6xxx.

These two serial numbers fall within the 1998 Ontario "Jackson USA Neck-thru" date range: http://www.jacksonguitars.com/support/serial-numbers/
          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-23-2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

There were the 3 or 4 two hum guitars made about 10 years ago - I bought the one that had been stolen...
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ahhh, I never thought to date the serial.
              ...which is ironic given my fondness for serials.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

TMZ had a run of Shannons not too long ago either.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  TMZ had a run of Shannons not too long ago either.

Is the TMZ SL2H-V series all made by Mike shannon ? I seen a unfinished all mahogany with pearl dots inlay and a certificate with a signature ala shannon signing off but i cant be sure.... there is another SL2H-V with a flame maple transblack but finished yet no idea if shannon were to be behind this build ?

Comment

I have an interest in knowing more on jackson vintage model... so far i seen a 1986 soloist which has three selector switches but two control knobs without fret nibs.... but for a 1987 soloist model has gotta extra control knob and with fret nibs?

It seems like not all 80s soloist are with fret nibs... i also wonder in the 80s could most guitar were builded by shannon? And how about grover jackson ? Thought grover jackson was the main founder of jackson guitars? Please correct me if wrong....

Comment

They stopped doing binding nibs as standard around 1984, I think. Maybe 83, I forget which. But it's always been an option, so you can still see some guitars with it after then.

And there have always been multiple builders, even in the San Dimas era. Shannon doesn't build them all. Even the ones that he does build, he doesn't "do it all". Paint, electronics, assembly - these are usually handled by others.

Mike is an amazingly talented builder. But there are (and have been) other builders that are also very talented, too. That isn't meant to take anything away from Mike - he's a legend, and deservedly so. Talent is talent, though. I just mean that it's not like he sprinkles some kind of magic fairy dust on every guitar he builds.

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                        Is the TMZ SL2H-V series all made by Mike shannon ? I seen a unfinished all mahogany with pearl dots inlay and a certificate with a signature ala shannon signing off but i cant be sure.... there is another SL2H-V with a flame maple transblack but finished yet no idea if shannon were to be behind this build ?
                        Yes, those were a batch series of handmades, similar to how old Ontario USA Selects were done, but by Mike Shannon. There is a video showing how those were built... all using pin routers and hand tools, unlike the CNC of the new Custom Selects.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Resurrecting my thread. 2024 will arrive in a few short years. A 40th anniversary Soloist "tribute / homage / reissue" might be nice to see.

I still would love to see an HH version of the 1998 Shannon Soloist. Rather than using a 3-way toggle like the SL2H/SL2H-V, keep the 5-way blade switch like the SL1/Shannon for more switching options, and anyone can always install an aftermarket 3-way blade switch if they desire something simpler.

In the past few years, I've noticed a resurgence of tribute / homage / reissue 80s guitars from multiple manufacturers. Ibanez has the Genesis Series, ESP/LTD has the '87 Series, Kramer has the '84 guitars, Fender has the HM Strat. I find myself drawn to the concept, likely heavily influenced by my long experience owning the 1998 Shannon which is a "new" guitar with "vintage" styling and specifications. I can't imagine my attraction is unique though, as I wager that whenever Fender and Gibson started reissuing now-timeless guitars like the Stratocaster and Les Paul, people found the appeal in those new guitars that hearkened back to classics they loved before, or it was an opportunity to own a vintage-flavored instrument if the originals were difficult to find or were too expensive.

Comment

Working...
                          X