Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding on a guitar

Hey guys,
    So after 2 years of playing acoustics I finally buckled down and decided to buy myself an electric geetar! My budget isnt very big, so the current guitars that Im interested in, are the Jackson JS11 and the JS20. Both are second hand, but barely used and in good condition(they even have the warranty for another 10 months are so). Unfortunately, Im not in a position to try these out. However, I did watch literally all of the reviews and demos on youtube and honestly I really like both of their sound. I was kinda hoping someone can share their experience and give some insight on these guitars.
    Thanks

please find a way to play one before you buy one! if money is tight and you have never had an electric guitar make sure you spend it on something that works for you! to buy a guitar going only buy reviews is not a very intelligent move(IMHO). I am sure either of those will do as intended but we all have different tastes, and just because a reviewer writes a good review does not mean any one else will like it, you included!

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
      please find a way to play one before you buy one! if money is tight and you have never had an electric guitar make sure you spend it on something that works for you! to buy a guitar going only buy reviews is not a very intelligent move(IMHO). I am sure either of those will do as intended but we all have different tastes, and just because a reviewer writes a good review does not mean any one else will like it, you included!
      I haven't tried these guitars out specifically but similar models from Jackson. The problem is that I live in a very small town and there is only one music store where there are pretty much only high end guitars(you cant find anything below 600$) and a handful of second hand guitars.
      I went to this music store and tried a bunch of guitars out. I tried a mexican strat, a couple of SGs and a les paul too, but the only ones that really got me excited and inspired were the Jackson models. So that's why I'm searching to buy a low end Jackson that I can afford.
      To be honest, I'm pretty sure that I would be more than happy with either of these two guitars. Im just looking for the differences between the two. Like which one has better quality hardware and generally a better feel to it and stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Atox95 View Post
        I haven't tried these guitars out specifically but similar models from Jackson. The problem is that I live in a very small town and there is only one music store where there are pretty much only high end guitars(you cant find anything below 600$) and a handful of second hand guitars.
        I went to this music store and tried a bunch of guitars out. I tried a mexican strat, a couple of SGs and a les paul too, but the only ones that really got me excited and inspired were the Jackson models. So that's why I'm searching to buy a low end Jackson that I can afford.
        To be honest, I'm pretty sure that I would be more than happy with either of these two guitars. Im just looking for the differences between the two. Like which one has better quality hardware and generally a better feel to it and stuff like this.
        Aye! I live in a town like that, but we have pawn shops too (geet magnets!) you can find KILLER deals in there if you know what you're looking for, pay attention to details when scoping em out! Good luck in your search man... nothing wrong with buying a cheaper guitar and upgrading the hardware to USA spec when money is better.
        \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

What exactly is your budget?

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
          nothing wrong with buying a cheaper guitar and upgrading the hardware to USA spec when money is better.
          Actually, I'd disagree with that. Spend a little more try to buy used MIJ and you'll have a much nicer guitar that won't need to be upgraded and won't be a money sink. IF you drop $200 into upgrading a JS guitar, you still have a $100 guitar.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've never owned a JS Jackson always MIJ's, recently the RR Project Korea. I should have been more specific as to what a "cheaper guitar" was .
            \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

RR Project Korea?
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

yeah remember that Jackson RR PS3-T Mudlark? I created a thread looking for info on it, was told they were MIJ and Korean made... based on the info and images, we came to the conclusion it was a Korean made.
                \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Oh, right. I was kinda drawing a connection between Korea and RR = Performer.
                  96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

yeah, you'll have to kinda fill in the blanks, I do not have a clear thinking mind ATM. I'm under some pretty good pain killers and suffering from roid rage. Brae with me guys, I have nothing else to do with my time while confined to the house.
                    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I'd say if your budget is around $150... save up just a little more for the next time they liquidate some random Korean World Guitar builds in the $300-ish price range. BC Rich, LTD, PRS all have had blowouts on guitars for several hundred bucks that are literally $1000+ build quality guitars. As far as I'm aware, all World Guitar builds will have real components... bridge pickup tuners... that won't ever need replacing.

Yeah, getting a Jackson logo is nice, but getting the best playable guitar for the dollar is a much better value. And by best playable guitar, I mean noticeably better hardware and better craftsmanship.

Of course, once you're ready to buy a MIJ or USA, that's where Jackson and Charvel shine.

But, don't let me dissuade you from buying whatever you want. The JS isn't a horrible guitar by any means. As long as there aren't any issues, you'll get the Jackson neck profile and feel that is desirable.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X