Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do the 80s Charvel's compare with the newer models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do the 80s Charvel's compare with the newer models?

For example my Charvel 275 vs. a Charvel So-Cal HH? I am new to Charvel's but am loving the feel of them, but I am not sure how the various models compare.
    Last edited by severed_survival; 07-07-2012, 12:32 PM.

Compare???

Fit and finish?

Tone?

Give us some details?

Comment

I have a 275 neck and a MIJ ProMod. The 275 neck is a glossy finish and the ProMod is satin finish. Other than the obvious Maple vs. Rosewood they are more similar than not.

Comment

Many of those "80's Charvels" are just plain worn out. Then there are a bunch that are minty... most of those don't seem to be the best players. Then there's the ones that people hoard. You'll never get your hands on any of them. The ones in-between with "mojo"... are ones that most people will never sell.

How do the nice ones play? Nice. That goes for the new ones or the old ones.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

My 1988 Charvel Model 2 is probably the best playing and sounding guitar that I have ever owned. No matter what pickup I had in there, a Dimarzio X2N, Super D, Duncan Dist, and presently an EMG 81, this thing always sounded amazing. Never a bum note out of it. And the action has always stayed consistently low and each note you can feel straight through the entire body. I will never part with it.
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

The only flaw in my opinion with the 80's Charvel's was the fact that many came with that stupid Kahler style locking nut and did NOT have a real OFR.

The new ones are pretty much perfect right out of the box IMHO!

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
              The only flaw in my opinion with the 80's Charvel's was the fact that many came with that stupid Kahler style locking nut and did NOT have a real OFR.

The new ones are pretty much perfect right out of the box IMHO!
              Ha, the new ones still don't have a real Floyd!
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I ordered a pre-Fender Charvel from the Custom Shop last year and it came with that vintage mojo
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

Okay its not a real OFR but it is miles better than that crap JT-6 and there is a proper floyd style nut too.

Comment

Whats everyones gripe with the JT6? Its a hell of a lot better than a modern day JT580LP. And I never have had any problems with the after nut locks either, and Ive got PLENTY of guitars equipped with em. Sure an OFR is better, but at the time, the JT6 was a viable option.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                    X