Hand stamped serial # on an import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand stamped serial # on an import?

This photo came up in a Surfcaster discussion- anyone seen a hand-stamped serial # like this on an import neckplate?

It's on a '95 era Surfcaster HT (humbucker'd)

Any insights?
    I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Holy crap! Never seen anything like it. The six-in-line extrusion looks pretty smeared too, doesn't it?

I am not a neck plate certified wizard, but there are a lot of small details in that plate, that I haven't seen on any other plates. The extruded "frame" is too rounded. The font type used on the serial is also new to me. As far as I know, that serial, 370752, would be from around late 1991.
    Last edited by jackson1; 03-08-2011, 06:23 AM.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

There's a company making repro surfcasters. Maybe a counterfeit plate to push off a repro surfcaster?

Comment

The plate could also have been sanded down to remove the original serial. That could explain some of the weird shapes seen on this one - like the little triangular area top-left and the partly beveled "Ch" in Charvel. And the smear also. Like the top of the logo has been sanded away. The "frame" should also be shining a lot more. And be flat.
        Henrik

Comment

I'll be damned. I've seen some fake San Dimas plates, but never thought I'd see a fake import plate. The blurred details & lettering definitely look like somebody took an impression of a real one, then did a casting. Seems like it'd be a lot easier to buy a used plate on eBay, unless they're making a bunch of these.

Comment

It's wierd- because EVERYTHING else on the guitar appears to be legit- I'd probably lean more toward a sand-down than a counterfeit casting- seems like too much work to re-cast if you're going to turn around and sell it for $350. (The price that guy paid for it)

Here's the dood's photo album- https://picasaweb.google.com/2009NCTA/Surfcaster

Anything else pop out as evidence of forgery to anyone? If it's a true Charvel, it was definitely made after 1994, as humbuckers weren't an option on them until then, and the star-glo finish didn't take on that brownish tone until then either. It definitely doesn't look like one of the GRB clones- I've never seen one that could pass for an authentic Charvel. The bridge & tailpiece alone set it apart from the GRBs, as their hardtails are all Les Paul-style stopbar & TOM bridge.
            I will sacrifice Gracie Law to appease my emperor and live out my earthly pleasures with Miao Yin!

Comment

The guitars config is consistent with a 1995 Surfcaster HT.
              Bet it was stolen and the serial number was ground off and a new one was re-stamped.

The markings on the edges and the Charvel logo look like they spent some time against a grinding wheel.
              Last edited by rjohnstone; 03-08-2011, 03:18 PM.
              -Rick

Comment

I'm not hugely into the Surfcasters, but the guitar looks legit. The neck looks very much like the original for the body, which make the weird neck plate a mystery. I mean, why would you replace a neckplate on a guitar? Uh oh, maybe it's stolen. And someone altered or swapped the new neck plate to avoid trouble.

Edit: Rick beat me to the stolen theory.
                Henrik

Comment

There should be black paint covering the "R" and the "Jackson / Charvel" letters. There doesn't seem to be anymore. It's been buffed or sanded off.

David Espinoza, the JCF Police is right on your tail! Lay it down and step away!
                  Last edited by jackson1; 03-08-2011, 03:41 PM.
                  Henrik

Comment

The "grain" directly below the serial number box looks all worn away also, again pointing to a grinding off of the original serial.
                    I'm going to third the stolen theory.
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                      Never seen anything like it. The six-in-line extrusion looks pretty smeared too, doesn't it?

I am not a neck plate certified wizard, but there are a lot of small details in that plate, that I haven't seen on any other plates. The extruded "frame" is too rounded. The font type used on the serial is also new to me. As far as I know, that serial, 370752, would be from around late 1991.
                      The plate could also have been sanded down to remove the original serial. That could explain some of the weird shapes seen on this one - like the little triangular area top-left and the partly beveled "Ch" in Charvel. And the smear also. Like the top of the logo has been sanded away. The "frame" should also be shining a lot more. And be flat.
                      There should be black paint covering the "R" and the "Jackson / Charvel" letters. There doesn't seem to be anymore. It's been buffed or sanded off.

David Espinoza, the JCF Police is right on your tail! Lay it down and step away!
                      "I am not a neck plate certified wizard"

Bullshit, dude! I proclaim your wizardry!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hehehe, well awwl-righty then
                        Henrik

Comment

All bow before the wizard of neck plates
                          You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            "I am not a neck plate certified wizard"

Bullshit, dude! I proclaim your wizardry!
                            Him or Hendrik?
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              Him or Hendrik?
                              Shaddup you
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X