Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 charvel san dimas hss guitar usa made rare trans kandy gold finish

Hi Guys,

I wanted your opinion on this. I purchased it today for $1200.00.

https://www.creamcitymusic.com/used-...y-gold-finish/

Does everything look factory correct on it? Was $1200 a fair price? Is the color really that rare?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks

Yes, everything looks normal and stock.

All information and verification here: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...ls-catalog-ads It's from the 7th batch Custom Colours released January 15, 2010. If you disassemble the neck from the body and checking the stamps on your neck heel and in your neck pocket, they would reveal a production date very close to that.

"Rare" is a word sellers like to include to build hype but to me it is somewhat vague and meaningless. Your color is "rare" only from the perspective that the 2008-10 Charvel USA Production Models came in black throughout the entire run and limited batches of Custom Colors that were never repeated again on the same model for the rest of the production era. For example, Candy Red was the first Custom Color on the San Dimas Style 1 and would never be seen on that model again, but it also appeared on the San Dimas Style 2 (and would not be repeated again on that model). Understand the distinction? See here for all the Custom Colors listed in a convenient table: https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...46#post2539846

I have never seen conclusive numbers of how many of each Custom Color of each model were produced. So the "rare" label isn't meaningful in this context. By contrast, if there was established knowledge that something was 1 of 10 in existence (an actual number that is widely verified) and you had one of them, you could claim you had a "rare" item.

The fact that the guitar comes with a case is nice. All these 2008-2010 Charvel USA Production Models came with gigbags. You will find their prices in the thread I linked in the second paragraph above.
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 05-18-2022, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I am picking up the guitar on Saturday. Yes it does come with a gig bag - they told me that in the store. Not sure why the pics online show a hard shell case.

The 3 way switch was broken - they are going to replace with a 3 way switchcraft and do new strings and a setup.

Comment

I would insist on the case AND the bag if possible. I'd want the case because it is explicitly stated and pictured in the ad (save an offline copy of the ad on your phone or print it out on paper to bring to the store as proof), and I'd want the bag because it's original to the guitar. Otherwise, ask for a discount, citing misrepresentation. Drive that bargain. You have nothing to lose.

At least they will replace the switch for you. Strange that it would break though. At some point I would have to check under the hood/pickguard of my 2009 USA So-Cal to verify the switch but I would have imagined it was also a quality Switchcraft switch.

Comment

Looks like I paid $100 more than it sold for new.....lol

I will call them tomorrow and tell them about the SKB case listed online. Lets see what they say. If not I might pass on this and reverse the transaction.....seems I paid a lot for a guitar from 2010...

Damn.....

Comment

Before you express buyer's remorse, try some market research. Visit www.reverb.com, do a search for the model, specify any of the years 2008 thru 2010 and USA (either in the filters or in the search query field; try various combinations), filter the search results for "Sold Listings", specify your local currency to make it easier, and look at the sold prices of the comparables. I have not done the work for you, but this would give you a range of results to which you could compare your $1200 purchase. I hope this is fruitful for you. Information is king.

This is why I reserved commenting on the price at first. While value is subjective, value can also challenging to gauge in the current climate due to the pandemic and recent inflation.

Also keep in mind that $100 in 2010 is different than $100 in 2022.

Comment

100% correct - EXCELLENT advice!

Will sleep on it a call them tomorrow. Still leaning towards a refund at the moment.

THANK YOU for your reply's Priest.

Comment

When those came out at the $1099 price for USA, that was practically unheard of at the time. I have the Taxi Cab Yellow one. I have many Charvel Pro-mods from Mexico and Korea and they are great, but something about the USA yellow one is special. Fit, finish, neck feel, everything is just top notch. Note that current non-USA pro mods are going for $1000 to $1300+, where you have a USA for $1200 (if you choose). A newer USA Charvel similar to this is probably going to be closer to $2000+. It doesn’t look like Cream City has any Charvels in stock that you could compare this guitar to, but take it for a test drive at the store and maybe compare to other guitars they have for sale in that price range. When the guitar is in your hands, you should be able to decide. As NoTP mentions, do your research, used USA Charvels with similar specs on Reverb are starting at around $1800.

Comment

+1 on the fact that used usa production models from that era normally sell for higher prices than they original sold for new, granted they're still in good condition. I would consider $1200 a very reasonable price for this example, case or not.

Comment

aint it crazy how the U.S.A guitars in that time came in bags and Japan guitars came in hard case.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                      aint it crazy how the U.S.A guitars in that time came in bags and Japan guitars came in hard case.
                      I'd like to note that the usa production models were actually $999 when they first came out in 2008, not $1099 as stated earlier in this thread. although it might be the case that for the trans kandy model in question, the price had already increased by $100.

my point is that I think it's highly likely some bean counter at fender was decrying, "for marketing reasons we need this guitar to be under $1000" and thus decided not to include the case. of course, by the time the japanese models came out they had learned their lessons.
                      Last edited by metalhobo; 05-20-2022, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDNGUY View Post
                        Hi Guys,

I wanted your opinion on this. I purchased it today for $1200.00.

https://www.creamcitymusic.com/used-...y-gold-finish/

Does everything look factory correct on it? Was $1200 a fair price? Is the color really that rare?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks
                        In MO the MIJ's that came out after feel better then the USA SO Cal's and San Dimas. I think you can still get them cheaper (the USA's) or can't find the MIJ's at all
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

$1200 for this in this market seems about right
                          I 've recently sold a couple of MIJ 2010 era charvels for that exact price (with the cases) the market is up what can you say
                          my USA jacksons have more than doubled in price used since I bought them, it's nuts out there right now.
                          I've come close to buying that model myself , I love the tangerine finish but a 5 way makes much more sense to me thatn the 3 way they use on this model.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

So, DDNGUY, did you end up buying/keeping the guitar? Curious to hear a follow-up story.

Comment

Late here, but I’d like to know as well. It’s already been said, but in todays market anything (except a carvin maybe) with a Usa sticker goes for double or triple what it should. This doesn’t seem like that bad a deal at all.
                              Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
                              My collection also there!

Comment

Working...
                              X