Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model A plus K Tremolo swap

Hi

Yesterday during string change a saddle on the JT580LP trem broke. I took it as a sign that it's time to upgrade to an Original Floyd Rose, something I've been thinking about for over a decade. I really love this guitar, but at the same time there has always been things that I'm not satisfied with. Hopefully a trem swap will give me the sustain and stability that I've been missing. It's really crazy that my 500 buck guitars beat this one when it comes to that. Anyway, I like the feel A LOT on this guitar, the neck & fingerboard is amazing and the body suits me and after some pickup changes I am now happy with the creamy sound it has, compared to the stock ones.
    Anyhow, now that I'm gonna change to OFR, what do u guys think about A gold bridge and saddles? wold it fit u think? And if so, how much of the rest should I change to gold? :S I don't wanna change too much, cause of money and lazyness, but a few parts I can do i feel. Is it a big no no or what do u think? Also I could, of course, just buy a new black saddle, but since I have these issues with the guitar I think it's worth the try while I'm at it!

Here are some pics that I have on it.

http://

Comment

I'm not sure an OFR will fit in that route. The locking screws may be too long. Might want the Floyd Rose pro once they are back in stock.
      https://floydrose.com/products/frtp1k

Comment

An OFR will drop right into a JT-580LP route. In rare instances the low E string lock bolt may rub against the rea of the recess. Typically happens with drop tuning where the saddle is pushed back.

More info:
        http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          An OFR will drop right into a JT-580LP route. In rare instances the low E string lock bolt may rub against the rea of the recess. Typically happens with drop tuning where the saddle is pushed back.

More info:
          is and ftr 1000 the same. how you doing Bro?
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post

More info:
            Thanks for your reply. That looks like it could be the excact same model even. Was thinking about radius and string spacing. For radius I guess I have to shim some saddles to make it 18”. And string spacing, are they the same?

As u said ”will drop right in”, I guess the mounting holes are placed with the same space?

thank you, very helpful reading so far guys. While waiting for digging deep enough into this I bought a FR licensed replacement saddle for the right string and it wasn’t the same height. So I hope I can swap the whole unit instead of spending my life hunting for rare replacement parts when they break..

cheers /Jonatan

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

is and ftr 1000 the same. how you doing Bro?
              FRT-100 and FRT-1000 are the same spec, one made in Germany, the other Korea.
              Doing good here. Nice to see some familiar faces again.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by svarta blixten View Post

Thanks for your reply. That looks like it could be the excact same model even. Was thinking about radius and string spacing. For radius I guess I have to shim some saddles to make it 18”. And string spacing, are they the same?

As u said ”will drop right in”, I guess the mounting holes are placed with the same space?

thank you, very helpful reading so far guys. While waiting for digging deep enough into this I bought a FR licensed replacement saddle for the right string and it wasn’t the same height. So I hope I can swap the whole unit instead of spending my life hunting for rare replacement parts when they break..

cheers /Jonatan
                Trem post spacing is identical as is the string spacing at the saddles. An OFR is literally a direct swap for a JT-580LP.
                OFR uses 3 different height saddles (0,1,2) 0 is the lowest and 2 is the highest. Shims are used to set the proper radius. All Floyds ship with a 10" radius.

As for the guitar in the pic... it was a 2001 PC3 (Same guitar is in my profile pic). The Model A series used the same body and neck as the PC3, just a different fretboard and hardware color.
                Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-09-2021, 05:12 PM.
                -Rick

Comment

Oh ok. Very similar axes then. My brother has a cheaper PC, 3 i think it’s called. Wilkinson trem.

anyway, nobody answered the fun question, what color? All personal pref of course, but still. Black or gold? And how much should I swap to gold in that case.

Glad to see some activity here as facebook killed most of the forums on the web.

Cheers.

Comment

Sometimes front corners of OFR/FRT baseplate may rub slightly against routing made for JT-580LP. I have replaced JT-580LPs on a RR3 and a JS32FR. Not a big problem, though.
                    My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Working...
                    X