Charvel Custom Shop Case Now Chinese Junk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Custom Shop Case Now Chinese Junk

Not that G&G made cases were my favorite, but these Chinese made Charvel Custom Shop cases are complete and total junk. For a $2700 guitar it should be better. I would love to have another G&G made Charvel case.

Link to a photo of the case in question, or specifics and details on why they are complete and total junk?

Comment

should be the skb-style cases like fender uses, no? never heard anyone complain about those.

edit: or is j/c still using the legit skb cases while fender went to their own imitation? in that case I REALLY want to hear why it's "junk"
      Last edited by metalhobo; 11-25-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

The cases I am referring to are the Charvel Custom Shop cases that were previously manufactured by G&G; not the SKB injection molded cases.

Here you can see the case is not fully closed; even when closed and latched. Keep in mind that this is in it's relaxed state. There is enough play that I can get my finger tip in between the lid and the case.

Check the angle of that center latch.

G&G center latch.

This is a G&G case.

Check the lower, left corner. Got to love that staple. I guess it was too labor intensive to make it look like the upper corner. Made in china quality.

This is the end of a G&G made case. It's neater and the leather binding is thicker.

G&G Case TOP.
        Made in china case BOTTOM.

Here's some damage that someone tried to cover up with shoe polish.

More damage.

More damage that has been disguised with shoe polish.

As far as the interior goes the G&G case is lined with blue poodle while it's made in china counterpart is lined with blue fur. Both have the Charvel Custom Shop satin-stitched in the lid but the fur lined one obscures it more. With the guitars in the cases there is some free play in both. But once again the Made in china one has about 3" while the G&G has about half that.

G&G Interior.

Made in china interior.

I literally just got this guitar yesterday. I was doing these picture and the right-hand latch kept popping open. I do not trust this case. I'm just really disappointed in the case that they have jumped to just to save a buck.
        Last edited by GuitarONe; 11-28-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Massive props for coming through and doing a direct, side-by-side, shot-for-shot comparison.

This is going far beyond my wheelhouse, but is it a brand new guitar from a retailer, or did you buy someone else's Custom Shop creation? What retailer did you buy it from? For example, a vendor like Sweetwater has what they call a "55-point inspection" so it would be strange if they (or another vendor with a similar policy) didn't catch that when inspecting the guitar and case. Just brainstorming recourse options.

Comment

yeah okay, that's pretty shitty. sorry. dude.

Comment

Just a thought crossed my mind is the guitar inside the case a real deal or a Chirvel. Mind you i dont know if they make chinese charvel copies but the prices they are at it would make sense chinese would make copies of Usa Jacksons and Charvels.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                Massive props for coming through and doing a direct, side-by-side, shot-for-shot comparison.

This is going far beyond my wheelhouse, but is it a brand new guitar from a retailer, or did you buy someone else's Custom Shop creation? What retailer did you buy it from? For example, a vendor like Sweetwater has what they call a "55-point inspection" so it would be strange if they (or another vendor with a similar policy) didn't catch that when inspecting the guitar and case. Just brainstorming recourse options.
                I bought it, brand new from an authorized Charvel dealer with whom I have done business with before. Being as they are going to either give me a pretty significant refund or another Charvel case (which I do not want) I do not want to name them. They are going to do me right. Case in point (pun intended) Fender is to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                  Just a thought crossed my mind is the guitar inside the case a real deal or a Chirvel. Mind you i dont know if they make chinese charvel copies but the prices they are at it would make sense chinese would make copies of Usa Jacksons and Charvels.
                  Bought brand new from an authorized dealer. Build ticket and paperwork intact. It's an authentic USA built Charvel.

Comment

Holy shit show.

I actually do like G&G cases. I like the newer moulded SKB cases. I like the old Chainsaw cases, they are fine if you look after them. The Jackson metal badged G&G style case from the 80's. Basically I like a good case that is meant to fit the guitar it comes with, and I did sell a guitar that I bought thinking it had the original case. I do kind of regret that now, but it was a long time ago.

Now if I had any kind of high end guitar come in that case I would be pissed to the max. Not konwing any better, from the web I would have thought it was the G&G cases we are used to. I have something similar with the Bullseye Charvel. That case you got is a piece of junk and an insult to cusom guitars everywhere. It's exactly like you'd expect from a Chinese copy guitar you got cheap.

Very annoyed at Fender for this, it's a huge backward step.

One thing I do find strange about Fender G&G (wooden style) cases is that there is NO SHAPING inside whatsoever. Besides Fender products I'm used to SOME kind of shaping inside to fit the intended guitar. Sometimes it's a complete form fit, sometimes it's a few key areas so the guitar doesn't move (Metal badged 80's Jackson case), or as in the case (no pun intended) of the Bullseye case, it has a section which stops the neck heel from moving forward.

Just before I got the Bullseye Charvel in early 2003 I did buy a Fender Custom Shop case, which is just a G&G with a small, removable metal badge on the front. I was a bit surprised when it had no shaping for a strat in there and the guitar does move more than I'd like but we've survived. It looks like these cases inside, just a big expanse where you can't be sure what style of guitar the case is for.

Seems to be a Fender thing and I'm not sure why. It's not very custom if the guitar case isn't shaped to fit. Just my 5 cents, inflation and all.

Comment

Holy cow, I can`t believe that case is for a custom guitar of any kind. These companies are screwing the crap out of us anymore. Cheaper and cheaper quality for more money. I would be embarassed to give a case like that for a custom guitar or for any quality guitar for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X