Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying a USA Pro-Mod So-Cal Candy Green

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have not posted on here for a while, as I haven't owned a Charvel/Jackson for some time. However, I am set on changing that and wanted to ask for your advice on a guitar I bought yesterday on eBay on a bit of a whim.

The guitar in question is meant to be a USA Pro-Mod So-Cal from c. 2008 in Candy Green finish. Upon checking the pictures on the eBay listing everything seem to be model and period correct, up to the Dunlop strap locks and "meat grinder" knob. The only thing that was off, was the neck plate. Originally I just thought that there was a sticker with some random numbers on it to cover the actual serial number, so did not pay too much heed to it, especially as the seller had really good ratings. This morning, however, I asked the seller and he confirmed that the numbers were actually stamped on the neckplate, that's when I started to freak out.

Here are some pictures to the guitar in question, grateful if could let me know your thoughts on whether it is an actual MIA So-Cal (or a mutt of USA Charvel parts) or just a blatant fake not worth touching with a ten foot pole.

Many thanks in advance.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQUqYa8
    Last edited by Capelo; 09-21-2020, 03:08 PM.

I can't attest to whether the body/neck are put together as a mutt (they look fine from what I can tell) but what I can say is that in addition to the neck plate, the bridge and tuning machines are not what would have come stock on a USA pro-mod.

as you can probably tell, the neck plate is not good. looks like a bad reproduction. what does that mean about the whole guitar? no idea, but I would hesitate strongly to pay any kind of premium for this instrument.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 09-21-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Many thanks metalhobo for your reply. You are aboslutely right about the tuners and bridge. My bad for not mentioning it in my first post.

Accordingto the seller, the tuners are Gover Rotogrip locking and the bridge has been upgraded to an OFR. The original FRT1000 FR and Grover Rotomatic tuners are also included with the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Capelo View Post
        Many thanks metalhobo for your reply. You are aboslutely right about the tuners and bridge. My bad for not mentioning it in my first post.

Accordingto the seller, the tuners are Gover Rotogrip locking and the bridge has been upgraded to an OFR. The original FRT1000 FR and Grover Rotomatic tuners are also included with the guitar.
        well since he's forthright about the tuners and bridge, then the only real thing wrong or unoriginal with the guitar I can see is the neckplate. you might ask the seller about that. fwiw the neckplate looks like a cheap reproduction you can buy from china: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000778473670.html

Comment

Many thanks once again. Spoke with the seller and he has agreed to cancel my order. The guitar overall looks legit and I might be missing out on a great axe, but in the long run I know that neck plate is going to bug me. So better to save my hard earned cash and save it for something I am totally comfortable with. Let’s hope the cancellation goes through promptly.

Comment

I agree with metalhobo that the only thing fishy about the guitar is the neckplate. Did the seller ever explain why the original neckplate isn't included, let alone affixed to the guitar?

The rest of the guitar checks out as authentic. For your comparison, I have included below some images of my 2009 So-Cal neck pocket, neck heel, and neckplate. The first two match up with yours, while the neckplate obviously differs in font style and sizing of the lettering and serial number, outrageously high six digit serial number, and the lack of periods in the "Made in U.S.A." wording (ie - "Made in USA" as opposed to "Made in U.S.A.").

I can confirm that bridge does look like an OFR. The OFR has "block" saddles as seen in your photos while the stock 1000 Series Floyd Rose has saddles that have a little "bevel" at the rear edge. I think that particular OFR also has also been upgraded with titanium intonation screws and string lock screws.

The owner, fortunately and thankfully, selected aftermarket tuners that have the same footprint as the stock tuners, thus requiring no extra drilled holes from what I can tell.

I understand why you canceled your order and you probably did the right thing for peace of mind. Now, I only say the following because I am very comfortable and familiar with this particular series of guitars, but if I were in your position, if I was not planning to sell the guitar in the long run, given the authenticity of everything else, and given the Floyd/tuner upgrades along with the inclusion of original parts, I might not have let that inauthentic neckplate sway me from purchasing it, IF the guitar were the right price. I'd use that opportunity to strike a deal. With THAT neckplate, I might offer $300 (I'm serious, and I can take it or leave it). With the real/original neckplate, I might offer $300 + xxx. See what I mean?

That neckplate would only potentially affect long-term resale value and restrict the future customer base to those who were not shy and knew what they were looking at, ie - the small population of informed buyers/owners like myself who are perhaps slightly crazy and know what calculated risks to take.

Anyway, the images as promised.

Comment

The lack of the original neckplate does not mean the body and neck are not original USA Charvel parts, and so I find the $300 valuation to be incredibly low. It's still a USA Charvel from 2008, and is easily worth a minimum of $500 in playable condition. If you're looking for investments, try Schwab, Fidelity, e-Trade, Ameritrade, or a local independent broker. Musical instruments are designed to be used until they are useless, not intended as Faberge` eggs or Depression Glass pieces. It's entirely possible the seller is either keeping the original plate or has already sold it on eBay for half what he paid for the entire guitar. As for whether it's a mutt, that is the original neck, as you can tell by the transfer of the green ink in the neck pocket to the heel. The neck on my Candy Green SoCal had paint transfer from the sidewall of the pocket to the neck.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have to agree with those saying the neck plate is an issue.

Even if it can be verified that the neck and body are authentic, the neck plate is not... and that effects the value of the instrument.

If this guy buys this guitar, what happens when he eventually sells it? That neck plate will be something he has to explain. And his explanation will have to be a weak ass sounding variation of: “the guy I bought it from said...”. Not a particularly inspiring thing to hear during a sale.

Why might the neckplate have been changed?

Damaged? Anything that could destroy a neck plate would do damage to the instrument too.

Stolen? Easiest way to hide a stolen bolt on guitar is to swap the neck plate... and the serial # along with it.

Was the neck plate swapped so that the serial would change? If yes, what are they trying to hide about the instrument.

Or it was just a dumb ass move.

Any way you slice it. The guitar legitimacy is tainted. That neck plate is a question mark every time that guitar is put up for sale.

If the seller cannot provide the original neck plate, it is a hard pass for me.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 09-25-2020, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I also have a Candy Green USA SoCal, bought from new, and agree with all the above.

I've just had a good look at it., it looks very similar but, as well as the obvious neckplate issue and the locking tuners (why, with a locknut?), I don't have an allen key holder on the back of the headstock. I haven't got the paint transfer at the neck pocket that Newc mentions.

It just doesn't add up, I'd want to know the story behind those changes. Yes, people mod their guitars, but that neckplate...why?
                  Last edited by darrellm; 09-24-2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    I can confirm that bridge does look like an OFR. The OFR has "block" saddles as seen in your photos while the stock 1000 Series Floyd Rose has saddles that have a little "bevel" at the rear edge. I think that particular OFR also has also been upgraded with titanium intonation screws and string lock screws.
                    Correction to the above. The bridge might be a stock bridge. It very likely is a Floyd Rose Original Hot Rod https://floydrose.com/products/frthr which is the OFR with a big brass block and stainless steel intonation screws and string lock screws (not titanium as I guessed before).

Comment

Working...
                    X