Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Vintage Charvel

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently gotten really into Jackson and Charvel, and I really want to grab up a vintage guitar. I keep looking at this one for sale, but I wanted to get a couple opinions before I make the plunge. I know this one has had some work done through GMW, and I am aware of the modifications. The seller is upfront about all of this. I love that it is my birth year, the color, and how unique it is. I just want to know if everyone thinks it is a good deal. I will post the link below. Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!

1986 USA Charvel San Dimas Original Pink Pearl Ebony Slab Pearl Dots
    https://reverb.com/item/33486051-198...ntent=33486051

that's beautiful. buy it.

Comment

Is that "Ran out of Charvel logos" real or is it just a sales gimmick. I mean why not make more logos? Sounds weird to me.

Comment

I used usacharvel.com to learn more, and they say,
        “In the last few months of Charvel production, late 1985 - 1986 a "Jackson" not Charvel logo was applied to Charvels with the
        Jackson (pointy) style neck. These logo's have the word "Jackson" in white lettering, "TM" (trade mark) and "Made in USA" after the "N" in Jackson. These are identical to the logos used on Jackson guitars from that same time period. I am not sure if the Jackson style logos were used because they ran out of Charvel logos (remember Charvel production was shutting down at this time) or if Jackson guitars increase in popularity, thanks to Randy Rhoads, led to these Jackson logos being used.”

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
          Is that "Ran out of Charvel logos" real or is it just a sales gimmick.
          It is true that, yes, there are some mismatched logo/plate combos that occurred at "the end".
          I don't know the serial numbers or the number of them. Nor do I know if this is one of them.
          But, yes, it is part of our history.

Originally posted by ed View Post
          I mean why not make more logos?
          Two issues:
          1. They were getting ready to move factories.
          2. They were ending USA Charvel and sending them overseas.

If they did what you suggested, then they would have ran into a situation like they did with the Jackson TM and Jackson R logos....
          We all know that Jackson TM ended in 1986 when it was replaced by Jackson R. So, then how do you explain that I am the original owner of a 1989 Jackson TM.
          I figure that it was pre-made, and sat in a pile waiting to be used.

Comment

were the 1986 charvel logos actually decals which had to be created beforehand, or were they painted or screen printed on the guitars like the jackson logos? I have no idea. never seen a san dimas charvel in person (I guess I'm a poser!)

but yes, if they were decals, it would not make sense to make more logos at the point when they were ending USA production. it would increase lead time of the remaining instruments under construction and cost unnecessary dollars. but is that what happened? who knows.

Comment

the strat heads were waterslide decals...unsure about the pointies...d.m.
              http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

The 1999 price for the guitar is too much for a major mod like Kahler to Floyd. I would say a solid 1200 to 1500 considering the mod no matter how functional and updated the mod is. The Floyd mod kills the originality value being a rare guitar with the Jackson logo. 1999 unmodded perfect price, not for a modded one. Hope that helps you. should have kept it a Kahler it would have sold already.

Comment

Working...
                X