Clear All

• JJ119
    replied
    Fandamntastic!!

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    I ended up doing a satin lacquer on the neck - really light but protects

found some waterslide decals for the neck and then got the neck and body back together!!!

nut now attached, need to wire up the electronics next and get it set up!!!

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Man Oh Man!!

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Making a bit of progress...

I had to do a bit of profiling to make the neck pocket and heel exactly right and then I started on the nitrocellulose lacquer. Decided to keep it as close to the way it was originally.

Firstly, here’s the body now returned to me and somewhat reassembled:

And the neck getting the finish:

I am going to put it back to original spec - just the single humbucker but I bought a couple new pickguards anyway. The top left is the original (which is really scratched up), with the second humbucker hole cut out. Also, a toggle switch hole added. The other two are new - one for single, one for double humbuckers.

Lastly, here is the electronics that will be going back in - need to get the original wiring figured out for the toggle switch on the single humbucker

?

I can’t wait to get this thing back together!!!
    Last edited by castle; 09-12-2020, 06:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    Totally digging this thread.

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Were any of these necks oiled vs Lacquer? I don’t love lacquered necks and am trying to decide how to finish

Leave a comment:

• SATCH1967
    replied
    When are you going to get the body back. The neck looks nice as well. I am looking forward to your completed project. what an awesome story to.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Coming along nicely!!

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Neck is done - I ended up going with Butala. He just sent me the following pics ahead of shipping it to me:

I got this pic from Lee a couple weeks ago. This is before the topcoat final finishing.

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Yeah especially all this guitar has gone through... started out life as a 3-TITE with vintage trem from what I can tell. Then someone modified it for a H-S-S + Kahler. Then in '97, as you can see in the "before" pics there, someone sent it to Jackson to convert it to a Floyd and they also replaced the pointy neck with the horrible hockey puck headstock neck. I got it in that state... I put the strat-style neck on it and had Lee to a proper non-recessed Floyd conversion along with the refin. Now it's amazing looking AND sounding -- my main gigging guitar.
    Last edited by Bert; 05-30-2020, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Bert

That is a beauty!

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Originally posted by castle View Post
    Decided against painting this myself. I shipped it off today to Lee Garver at GMW guitarworks for a repaint.

Now trying to decide between Butala Custom Shop Guitars and Musikraft for the neck replacement. I'm pretty sure I have all the specs now. I'll post them all here shortly too for posterity.

I'm going to do this right
    Good move! I had Lee finish an old USA Charvel and it's now gorgeous: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XDURHNdlMXPsjbxw2

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    Why not choose a double-action truss rod?
    I think ultimately I will - this is something I asked the neck builders too.
    thanks for following!

Leave a comment:

• Number Of The Priest
    replied
    I'm still following this thread with great interest. I have no doubt you have your heart set on doing this guitar justice.

Caveat: I am not a scholar on the Holdsworth guitars.

I noticed you selected a single-action truss rod. This seems so antiquated, and "limiting" if you ever need to add neck relief, even if it was "correct" for a Holdsworth. Is there a particular reason you're not going with a double-action truss rod? You're getting the heel adjustment spoke-wheel which didn't exist on the Holdsworth (at least from what I can determine by looking at example Holdsworth pictures in Google Images), so something tells me you're open to deviating from the norm, so why not choose a double-action truss rod?

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    For posterity, here are the specs I've gathered for the Holdsworth neck:

2 piece construction
    With "skunk stripe"
    Right Handed
    25.5" scale
    22 frets
    1 11/16" nut width
    1/8" nut slot
    2 1/4" at the heel rounded
    Single acting truss rod w heel adjustment
    Rock maple neck
    0.10" Ebony fingerboard
    12" - 16" compound radius
    Heavy rolled fingerboard edges
    10mm tuner holes
    1/4" white dots - plastic
    2mm white side markers
    12th dot spacing narrow
    6100 Jumbo frets
    Back Profile - 83 92 that is a full rounded D at 12th fret, transitioning to a C at the first

Leave a comment:

Working...
X