Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrigg
    replied
    I’m planning a Holdsworth-inspired tribute build to replace my white 1985 Charvel that got stolen. It was a mutt, a Jackson Strathead neck with ebony board and Sperzel locking tuners on a rear-routed 85 Charvel Kahler body that I ran with an HSH pickguard. I had placed a block of wood in the Kahler route, mounted a Strat hardtail plate and (as I recall) foolishly drilled the body for string-through! Ah, to be young and irresponsible again.

In any case, this thread has given me some renewed inspiration to replace this guitar and a Holdsworth-inspired build would come close to (but much better than) what I originally had! The above neck specs sound very close to my old Jackson ebony strathead neck. I may go with a Gotoh Floyd or Gotoh 510 plus Tusq nut and locking tuners to complete my modern take on the Holdsworth model
    Last edited by Shrigg; 01-30-2024, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Never did find the original neck but found this pic yesterday in my archive — from summer of 2001

You can see the damage I did to the original neck at the high frets. Damn shame!

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Hi again everyone, just wanted to thank all of you again for the supporting comments and info.

Playing this guitar again has been a blast. The new neck feels exactly as I remember the old one.

so great to have been able to reconstruct this relic from my youth.

I actually started looking for the other guitar I had when I was in high school which was a 1961 Harmony Vibrajet

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Last edited by castle; 01-28-2021, 02:25 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Leave a comment:

• freedom's door
    replied
    That turned out incredible!
    As for learning Holdsworth tunes- be careful, some of those chords are unbelievably hard to finger.

Leave a comment:

• DJGranite
    replied
    Great job.
    Looks like it was well worth all the effort you put into the restoration.

Leave a comment:

• Hamburger
    replied
    Nicely done!

Leave a comment:

• Razor
    replied
    Now that's very well done!!!
    Last edited by Razor; 10-04-2020, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Number Of The Priest
    replied
    Bravo! That looks killer!

Leave a comment:

• CaptNasty
    replied
    That turned out great! Congratulations! How does it play? Does it have a different feel from other strat type guitars you have played?

BTW, the skunk stripe was the right call. It is just such an important part of the aesthetic of that particular instrument IMO. It is kind of like the pinstripes on some old vintage cars.

It is kind wild to think that this all started almost a year ago.

Glad to have been able to help you figure out what you had. I do not know how or why, but when I saw it I just kind of "knew" what it is was. it was like a cosmic event, everything lined up to get that guitar back to its former glory.

Enjoy it and thanks for sharing!

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    Thanks guys! Now I just need to learn to play some Holdsworth tunes

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Amazing restoration. Congrats on the beautiful guitar, and thank you on behalf of Jackson/Charvel fans everywhere!!

Leave a comment:

• JJ119
    replied
    Absofreakinlutely gorgeous

!! Congratulations !!

Leave a comment:

• castle
    replied
    So a happy ending to this thread! Got everything put back together. A bit of setup still to do with the nut, but otherwise I’m really pretty much done other than getting the wiring 100% which I’ll document here as well. Got a hold of another Holdsworth enthusiasts who has 4(!) of them and he was able to help with the wiring schematics. The only thing I can’t 100% verify is the spec of the capacitor that is always in line. The switched capacitor is a 203 but unsure about the other.
    Anyway, some pics of the finished product:

?
    ? ?

Leave a comment:

• livebiz
    replied
    Looks fantastic, that guitar deserved nothing less than a great restoration.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X