The original San Dimas necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The original San Dimas necks?

I'm looking to have a new neck made to replace one on an old Warmoth build I've never really bonded with. Being of a certain age in my eyes the original early 80s Charvels have a mythical holy grail quality to them and not having the kind of disposable cash on hand to actually buy one I was wondering what kind of specs their necks had?
    I'm intending to go with Warmoth because to be frank they're the cheapest option, although they only offer the floyd nut prep on their modern construction necks, would somewhere like Musikraft be a better choice? I've heard equally great and bad things about them.
    Sorry feel like I'm rambling:
    If someone could let me know the basic specs I'd really appreciate it: profile, radius, fret type, were they literally bare wood or oiled, sealed? ect?

careful with heel width -- your warmoth body will have a 2 3/16" wide neck pocket, and except for pre production necks, charvel necks will have a 2 1/4" wide heel. so, if you're eyeing charvel necks, make sure you can look at it in person or at least get accurate and reliable measurements before you buy.

http://www.usacharvels.com/history/pg2.htm
    Last edited by metalhobo; 10-14-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

the early strat head necks were all over the place spec-wise (remember c/j was basically a custom shop)...i've played some that felt like baseball bats and others almost as thin as ibanez jem necks...my number one for years was a wide flat profile with a 1 3/4" nut width...the necks became a lot more consistent when the pointy headstock came around but you could sill order accd to your own preferences...there is no one magical profile for every player as we are all different...but when you pick up the one thats right for you, you'll know it...d.m.

btw my current 89 gc limited has a wide flat profile very similar to my old strat head
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I've had an 84 Explorer with a pointy headstock. It was a thicker neck with a thick slab rosewood board. I've had a 84 strat with a pointy headstock, and it was on the thin side. When I was making guitars, I used Warmoth Explorer headstocks, and made the headstocks pointy (They didn't offer the Pointy headstock back then) The Warmoth necks were very comfortable but not a thin neck. I have USA Custom and Sound Guitar Works. Those C shape necks are thinner than the Warmoth, and just as comfortable. I even had a few Jackson made necks (they offered Strat and Pointy heads for aftermarket in the early 90's) They were all over the place the pointy's were on the thicker side

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input, I guess it's a choice between Warmoth's standard thin or their Wizard.

Comment

By 1984 the pointys were generally consistent. But you have to remember that Grover was constantly evolving/improving the line so things varied as the years past.
            a good roundabouts profile was .80" at fret one and .90" fret 12 :-)

Comment

Working...
            X