Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legit? 1982, black body, recessed Floyd, Duncan JB, maple fretboard, Fort Worth plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legit? 1982, black body, recessed Floyd, Duncan JB, maple fretboard, Fort Worth plate

I found another suspicious inexpensive (USD$900) "USA Charvel" on Craigslist that I'd like to authenticate and possibly avoid sharing as one of my "Deal Alert" posts in the E-fraid forum. Wouldn't want anyone to get ripped off because of me.

Those 12th fret dots look too far apart, the recessing of the trem looks like an anachronism, the headstock logo looks like a sloppy decal, and the Fort Worth Model Series neck plate makes me think the whole guitar is just a parts mutt... but is ANYTHING about this guitar authentic?

I agree about the wide dots. The recess doesn't have to rule the body out if it was done as a mod, but good pics of the back (preferably with covers removed) are needed to be able to know anything for sure. If I had to place a bet without seeing more pics, my guess is that it's a Model 1 or 2 with recess mod & after-market neck, so I think your instincts are right that it's no great deal at $900.

Comment

+1

Comment

The first thing I'd look at trying to determine a prepro is the neck. The shelf on that 21 fret is too long, the fret dots too wide, the logo too big. Then seeing the MIJ plate, you can pretty much assume the body probably isn't legit either. The neck and plate would be worth the most, so unless that guitar were really super cheap, it'd be a quick hard pass.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
        X