X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
    Found this on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/5147799-used...herry-sunburst

Has some similarities, but some differences too...
    Yeah, what jumps out at me is why the battery box is routed in that position?

Anyways, kinda similar. All cool!

Seems like mine could just be one of those USA-serialized Custom Shop builds.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteL View Post
      Yeah, what jumps out at me is why the battery box is routed in that position?

Anyways, kinda similar. All cool!

Seems like mine could just be one of those USA-serialized Custom Shop builds.
      Yep. The serial scheme is identical to Jacksons. Jackson site indicates non-custom neck throughs get the serial scheme U0xxxx. But as you point out there are examples of different serialization schemes being used inconsistently.

The serial is definitely interesting. Everything in me says this is a later model Jackson. They are after all manufactured in the same factory. When I spoke to Mike Shannon at NAMM this year, he said “they are so short staffed that he doesn’t think there is a Jackson or Charvel that goes out the door without him laying hands on it”. That indicates cross over in Charvel and Jackson manufacturing to my ears and definitely could raise the possibility of a one off Jackson with a Charvel logo.

Perhaps in the world of CNC based Custom Selects being produced in the same factory, the body style, logo, etc is less of a brand thing and just an option that you can specify on a custom order?
      Last edited by CaptNasty; 05-23-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Yep. The serial scheme is identical to Jacksons. Jackson site indicates non-custom neck throughs get the serial scheme U0xxxx. But as you point out there are examples of different serialization schemes being used inconsistently.

The serial is definitely interesting. Everything in me says this is a later model Jackson. They are after all manufactured in the same factory. When I spoke to Mike Shannon at NAMM this year, he said “they are so short staffed that he doesn’t think there is a Jackson or Charvel that goes out the door without him laying hands on it”. That indicates cross over in Charvel and Jackson manufacturing to my ears and definitely could raise the possibility of a one off Jackson with a Charvel logo.

Perhaps in the world of CNC based Custom Selects being produced in the same factory, the body style, logo, etc is less of a brand thing and just an option that you can specify on a custom order?
        I remember on Jackson Guitars online custom shop order form way back around 2000, you could order your custom shop guitar with the Charvel logo.

Both brands could have been made side by side for a long while.

So who knows man. I'm thinking it's older per the serial and binding but there's a few pieces in the package that could point to either age.

Still rocks!
        Last edited by PeteL; 05-23-2018, 10:47 PM.

Comment

WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            WOW!

Yeah! To both of these guitars. I would proudly own either of them.

Comment

The build and layout is very similar to the old Jackson SLATQH series. The one from Reverb makes me think there may have been a small multi-piece run done, with different colors. Possibly export-market guitars? The layout and quality of the quilt figuring make me wonder if they're from the same era.

The really strange thing is that I was told years ago that, when FMIC took over, they instituted a policy of not building any custom shop neck-through Charvels. This was to give the two brands better differentiation. Charvel was bolt-on only. The only exception was Surfcasters. I have one from pre-FMIC, and was told on several occasions that they won't ever do another. But the cases are both more recent.
              Last edited by shreddermon; 05-24-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

All I know is that customer service said they do not have records on the serial for my guitar and they believe it is an older custom shop order from the 1990s.

Agreed, very similar layout on both guitars except that finish seems to be gloss on the body, and obviously the battery route is different. Logo size is obviously different, too.

The case mine came with is more beatup than the guitar is so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not original to the guitar.

Looks like it's been shipped around the world and back
                Last edited by PeteL; 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  The build and layout is very similar to the old Jackson SLATQH series. The one from Reverb makes me think there may have been a small multi-piece run done, with different colors. Possibly export-market guitars? The layout and quality of the quilt figuring make me wonder if they're from the same era.
                  I was thinking the same thing, around the same era, except the SLATQH series had 22 frets and not 24.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good catch, Toe. With no inlays, I didn’t even bother to check. LOL.

The cherry burst finish looks old style dyed, too. Not how they do them now. That makes me think of that era, too. Wish they still did trans finishes like that.

Comment

I like everything about this guitar. It is an enigma.

Comment

I like everything about this guitar. It is an enigma.
                        Hard to put down, to be honest.

Nice thick chunk of quilt maple!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                          Good catch, Toe. With no inlays, I didn’t even bother to check. LOL.

The cherry burst finish looks old style dyed, too. Not how they do them now. That makes me think of that era, too. Wish they still did trans finishes like that.
                          I wish they'd still do the trans finishes like that, too. So killer.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well I like this one so much I could not pass it up.Will be here next week!

Comment

I had one of these..it was a jackson custom shop star from 2000 with a charvel logo..metallic purple and it had sat in a NYC SAm Ash basement for a few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X