Guthrie Ash Vs Basswood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guthrie Ash Vs Basswood

Recently, I was able to play the Guthrie Govan Ash bodied charvel and was completley blown away. Its one of the best guitars I've ever played. I'm set on buying one. Great neck, amazing pickups, great tone and stayed in tune really well. And then there was the clarity. it was great! Harmonics flew of it's massive frets. However before I purchase one, I wanted to see if anyone has played both the normal basswood guitar and the ash guitar and what the tonal differences were. I've never owned an ash guitar and my main guitar is an EBMM Axis, which is basswood/ maple. This is a big purchase for me. without being able to play them side by side, I want to make sure I'm buying the right guitar.

If you really liked the ash one, why worry about what the basswood one sounds like? Not trying to be a dick, but I have found that I tend to be happier when I buy the guitar I like. There have been times when I have missed out on the one I liked because I was too curious.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      There have been times when I have missed out on the one I liked because I was too curious.
      The ones I leave in the store always had the best tone according to my memory. The ones I bring home usually turn out to be dogs.

Comment

Some people love the tone of basswood. Personally, I think it's meh. Plus it's a fairly soft wood, prone to dents and dings.

I'd take alder, swamp ash or mahogany over it any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Both for tone and durability.

But you're asking a subjective question. Do what YOU want, not what others advise. Only you can make yourself happy.

Comment

y'all aren't even helping. he's not asking for opinions on whether basswood sounds better than ash, he's asking for someone with experience to give subjective comparison of the tone of the ash govan model vs. the basswood model.

Comment

How is that not asking about the difference in tone between basswood and ash? The specs of the two versions are identical, except for the body wood.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
              y'all aren't even helping. he's not asking for opinions on whether basswood sounds better than ash, he's asking for someone with experience to give subjective comparison of the tone of the ash govan model vs. the basswood model.
              You don't seem to be helping.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                Some people love the tone of basswood. Personally, I think it's meh. Plus it's a fairly soft wood, prone to dents and dings.

I'd take alder, swamp ash or mahogany over it any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Both for tone and durability.

But you're asking a subjective question. Do what YOU want, not what others advise. Only you can make yourself happy.
                +1 on all of this.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The only way you may answer this is in the store, Daniel-san.

As for me, I already know I love ash over basswood, so all else being equal, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
                  '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                  '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                  '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                  '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                  '90 Charvel 475 XL
                  '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                  Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                  Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                  Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Well he said he already has a basswood ebmm, so basswood probably doesn't bother him.

Since you've tried the ash and loved it, I would say get the ash model. Would you prefer it the way it is, or lighter with a less dynamic and more focused upper range?
                    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                      Well he said he already has a basswood ebmm, so basswood probably doesn't bother him.

Since you've tried the ash and loved it, I would say get the ash model. Would you prefer it the way it is, or lighter with a less dynamic and more focused upper range?
                      I also have an EVH Wolfgang Special which is Basswood too. Though the Axis and EVH sound very different. The Axis is bright while the EVH is dark. Oddly enough, I have an All-maple guitar and it sounds waaayyyyy better than everything and that one only cost $300. Go figure. But yea, I am asking the differences if anyone has played them both? Normal basswood guitars, are a pass for me (ibanez) but with a maple cap, especially a thick maple cap, its a different story and tone.
                      Last edited by The Rossness; 07-02-2017, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        The ones I leave in the store always had the best tone according to my memory. The ones I bring home usually turn out to be dogs.
                        LMAO! Must be my unknown twin brother!

Comment

Working...
                        X