Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all-access heel

Hi-
    I love my Charvels with my only complaint is the lack of all access at the higher frets due to the big block heel. Are there any models that have a better access heel?

Thanks
    Jeff
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries
    Charvel USA Wild Card #3
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

I've found that even the recessed neck plate that some custom shops have make a noticeable difference.

Comment

CS has the option for a recessed neck plate.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks. How do you do a custom shop order? I have never seen it anywhere on the website but then again I have never looked for it? Thanks Jeff
        Kiesel Aries
        Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

The photo xenophobe posted is a nice illustration of what's possible, but what is the purpose of a neck heel that still has a sharp boundary between the neck itself and the body?

Your thumb is still going to collide at the corner with where the maple meets the red paint.

Who is actually lifting their thumb off the back of the neck and planting it in the neckplate to reach high frets? Maybe I have small hands and I cannot grab the heel/neckplate to solo up high... my thumb is condemned to always sit on the neck itself.

You can make that neck joint thinner and thinner, but I feel like it won't matter until it's actually FLUSH with the neck (like a ramp), or the hard boundary is sculpted in a manner that mitigates the abrupt "stop" your thumb experiences when playing up high.

Of the two brands (Jackson and Charvel), Charvel strikes me as too "traditional" to stray from its roots as a hod-rodded Fender, especially when building classic Strat-style guitars (not counting the Charvel Model 5, Model 6, 550XL, and the other neckthru Charvel "Soloists"). I feel like the square heel will always remain in some form in the Charvel DNA.

Jackson, the more "progressive" of the two brands, has recently offered a 3-bolt joint with slight sculpting (first photo below). I haven't played one yet, but I can imagine the thumb slides UNDER the heel to aid reaching the high frets. I applaud the progress as a step in the right direction, but it's nearly 30 years behind brands like Ibanez who debuted their own All Access Neck Joint in 1987 (second photo below).

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-03-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            The photo xenophobe posted is a nice illustration of what's possible, but what is the purpose of a neck heel that still has a sharp boundary between the neck itself and the body?

Your thumb is still going to collide at the corner with where the maple meets the red paint.

Who is actually lifting their thumb off the back of the neck and planting it in the neckplate to reach high frets? Maybe I have small hands and I cannot grab the heel/neckplate to solo up high... my thumb is condemned to always sit on the neck itself.

You can make that neck joint thinner and thinner, but I feel like it won't matter until it's actually FLUSH with the neck (like a ramp), or the hard boundary is sculpted in a manner that mitigates the abrupt "stop" your thumb experiences when playing up high.

Of the two brands (Jackson and Charvel), Charvel strikes me as too "traditional" to stray from its roots as a hod-rodded Fender, especially when building classic Strat-style guitars (not counting the Charvel Model 5, Model 6, 550XL, and the other neckthru Charvel "Soloists"). I feel like the square heel will always remain in the Charvel DNA.

Jackson, the more "progressive" of the two brands, has recently offered a 3-bolt joint with slight sculpting, seen below. I haven't played one yet, but I can imagine the thumb slides UNDER the heel to aid reaching the high frets. I applaud the progress as a step in the right direction, but it's nearly 30 years behind brands like Ibanez who debuted their own All Access Neck Joint in 1987.

I have actually played the Jackson DK2M and the heel does allow much better access. I just didn't like the neck shape/profile compared to the Charvel.
            Kiesel Aries
            Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

Or go Guthrie Govan signature neck joint
              Untitled6.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

Have you actually played that neck heel or the enhanced ESP? You doesn't really need the corner edge cut.. it's VERY comfortable. I honestly don't see needing any more done to it than that.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Have you actually played that neck heel or the enhanced ESP? You doesn't really need the corner edge cut.. it's VERY comfortable. I honestly don't see needing any more done to it than that.
                  Agreed - I think a little bit goes a long when when it comes to making a more comfortable heel.

Comment

I just make sure to never play past the 12th fret. It's been working for over 25 years!

Comment

Originally posted by x_zac10 View Post
                      Agreed - I think a little bit goes a long when when it comes to making a more comfortable heel.
                      Yeah, it really does. It's just the top tip of that one corner... The Charvel or ESP recessed neck plate is perfect for me. The Fender Deluxe isn't as nice, but it's also "good enough" because it gets rid of that one corner, IMO.

Comment

^^ have that on my MIJ strat and love it.

Comment

Never had an issue with a Charvel neck heel or old Fender neck heel or Gibson neck joint.
                          Then again I never blamed the guitar or its design for my lack of playing skills.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I blame myself for my lack of playing skills

Since xeno's photo of the angled Charvel heel isn't showing up, I realized my KE3 has a similar one (though perhaps not as slimmed-down) but the two photos I took below will illustrate my point that anything other than a smooth heel still provides the same upper fret hindrance to me. While I can reach the 24th fret, the corner where the neck meets the heel is where my thumb stops. Angling the heel is pointless. My thumb isn't going to "climb" onto the angled neckplate. (Or, does anyone actually put their thumb on the neckplate? In which case, the slimmer the heel, the easier to climb your thumb up there. I have small hands.)

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              I just make sure to never play past the 12th fret. It's been working for over 25 years!
                              I should really stop fooling myself and adopt that approach

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              Yeah, it really does. It's just the top tip of that one corner... The Charvel or ESP recessed neck plate is perfect for me. The Fender Deluxe isn't as nice, but it's also "good enough" because it gets rid of that one corner, IMO.

That's enough for me. My Deluxe is the same & I like it.

NOTP, that's where my thumb will sit too. Never put my thumb ON a neckplate ever, so recessing or angling them probably doesn't make much difference.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X