Oiled necks versus laquered backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oiled necks versus laquered backs

How stable are the Charvel oiled necks with no finish on the back.
    I dont entirely buy it that an oiled neck will warp much more than a hard laquered neck.
    Properly oiled wood is pretty good at repelling humidity effects in the wood.

Is there any direct evidence that the oiled back necks in the distant past when Charvel started using oiled backs were warping a lot more than the hard laquered backs ?

My 82 SD star #1130 has very thin neck and one piece flame maple but it's been quite stable
    in Finnish winter time. And I've played it a lot. Doesn't move no more than any other of my guitar collection.

I also have few other oiled necks. Old and new and I think it's more about the wood itself than the finish. If the wood
    hasn't been cured properly before making into a neck you are going to run into some problems when finished.

My friend had fender Highway strat and the neck was so twisted that it was unplayable and had to be replaced. Lacquered also so the finish itself
    doesn't matter that much except it needs to have some finish at least

Comment

Raw, finished, oiled, lacquered....it all depends on the environments to which it is exposed.
      Avoid sudden changes in the environment and prolonged or frequent exposure to extreme environments and you should be fine.

Comment

I've owned lots of 80s Jacksons with oiled necks and none have had any issues.

Comment

The gun stock oil cures but is not as thick or hard as a sprayed poly finish. But it's completely inaccurate to refer to them as "raw" or "unfinished".

Comment

My Peavey Wolfgang Special has an oiled neck and it's probably the most
            stable-necked guitar I own. I live in a hundred-year-old house in the northeast
            tundra so we get wicked humidity in the summer and ultra dry in the winter.
            I haven't had to touch the truss rod in a couple years, unlike most all my other regular
            players which get adjusted twice a year. Go figure...

Comment

I prefer oiled necks and have never had any issues with them other then the natural weather changes that effects all necks anyway.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
              X