Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 US Charvel San Dimas Trem Question

Hey gang,
    What was the stock trem on these? Biggest issue is trem block length. Decided to go Gotoh, went with the 36mm block as what came on it was 37mm. Tech seems to think the trem was switched at purchase, something to with no markings under the Floyd plate or some shit, and the loss of 1 mm is not allowing a direct replacement.
    So the options are buy a 37mm big block aftermarket replacement.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotoh-Floyd-...5qqw4nzk9vSOoA

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index...roducts_id=199

My concern with the big block is loosing down travel-I wedge for down only. I'm sure my tech would love to charge me to route for more travel.

Or just go with a whole new unit at 40mm and dump/sell the 36mm (i'm way over my return date). Here the concern is 40mm being to long and interfering with the cover going back on.

I'd prefer to stay Gotoh and focus on playing the damn thing, not mired in technical hell.

Suggestions please, tech info appreciated.

Stay with the Gotoh and just get this block...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...zw1FzefJ4ycG6Q

This block will allow full travel both ways, the "fat" blocks restrict free travel.
    I have 40mm blocks on every non-recessed Gotoh equipped Charvel guitar I own, they're great.

Comment

The 1 mm should not make much difference. most none recessed should work with a 40mm as jspeed posted but longer will make it more likely to limit travel. if the cavity needs to be routed bigger to get the travel you want any good tech should be able to do this far a very reasonable price since there ain't much to it. many times I have opened the route out with a dremal sander in just a couple of minutes.

Comment

Yes! Thanks guys! I think i'll run with the standard size at 40mm. If it requires additional body work he's skilled/tooled up. He actually shored up a bad Jackson CS , bridge post where not correct, required plugging and resetting. I was griping about that big time on here. As far as top mount Floyds I'm down only and only go floating with recessed tops. I also swear by my maglock thingy for that application. Hoping the Gotoh delivers!

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
          The 1 mm should not make much difference. most none recessed should work with a 40mm as jspeed posted but longer will make it more likely to limit travel. if the cavity needs to be routed bigger to get the travel you want any good tech should be able to do this far a very reasonable price since there ain't much to it. many times I have opened the route out with a dremal sander in just a couple of minutes.
          I use the Gotoh factory 40mm or these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...zw1FzefJ4ycG6Q

No problems at all, no grind or cutting or butchery to the guitar.
          All the other "fat" blocks limit travel on ProMod guitars.

Comment

Great. I'm hoping for no surgery. I like my tech alright but being a major contributor to his house payment is not why I play. The curse is having well set up instruments in the past and getting new acquisitions up to form. The climate where I live also doesn't help. I have began liking 1/4 sawn maple necks and 50's carves on LP's. Thank you Ohio Valley.
            Last edited by Shawn Cagle; 09-10-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I have two Pro-Mods (American and Japanese So-Cals) with non-recessed Floyds. They came stock with the Floyd Rose "1000 Series Original Style Tremolo System" http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tre...original-style, specifically the FRT02000 model (that's the code for the black trem). The block length is 40mm, peculiar to me because I'm so accustomed to seeing what I thought were standard lengths of 32mm, 37mm, and 42mm.

Comment

The Floyds that came on those were also called, Floyd Rose OEM. They were made by Ping, in Korea, I think.
                I had a couple and they are nothing like a real floyd, to me anyway, they are ok, but meh, not the same.
                The Gotoh should be fine. I replaced all those FRT1000 OEM's with German Floyds and they are direct swap,
                for anyone that cares. Everyone from Schecter to Esp are using the import floyds. Only top of line CS models
                etc....get the real thing. Oh and BTW, the nuts are not the same quality either, they wear out real quick, the
                pads will have heavy grooves after 1 string change.
                Last edited by ps43203; 09-16-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Cagle View Post
                  Hey gang,
                  What was the stock trem on these? Biggest issue is trem block length. Decided to go Gotoh, went with the 36mm block as what came on it was 37mm. Tech seems to think the trem was switched at purchase,
                  My 2005 USA Charvel Star came with a 37mm block standard. Longer blocks usually are on bodies with a great tilt-back neck angle and will sit off the body higher.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    I have two Pro-Mods (American and Japanese So-Cals) with non-recessed Floyds. They came stock with the Floyd Rose "1000 Series Original Style Tremolo System" http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tre...original-style, specifically the FRT02000 model (that's the code for the black trem). The block length is 40mm, peculiar to me because I'm so accustomed to seeing what I thought were standard lengths of 32mm, 37mm, and 42mm.
                    take a better look, they are 37mm...

Comment

Working...
                    X