NGD Charvel San Dimas KOA 1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Charvel San Dimas KOA 1995

I just scored a San Dimas reissue with the KOA body. This would be the SD 1 run when I look at the 1995 catalogue. A real player, very smooth! The guitar is in good condition, but the previous owner changed some of the original gold hardware. The original nut and some other parts are present, however the OFR bridge is chrome.

I would like to restore it completely to the original specs. This guitar is worth it There are several Floyd versions out there. Can someone point me to the right bridge (in gold) to order?

Any tips for the maintenance of the body (oil or polish stuff?), or do you just leave it like it is?

Here are some crappy pics...

[IMG]]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by laurens; 12-18-2016, 03:13 PM.

In addition, I cleaned her up and found out that the pickups are Seymour Duncan '59 (SH-1B and SH-1N). There is something wrong with the wiring too, the volume pot acts like a sort of tone control and volume doesnt go down. I don't like the 59, too much on trebly side. Any recommendations for classic metal?

Comment

That's weird that you got one of those. That's a US Market version with the Sears headstock. The EU version had a strat head.

Anyway, grats! Those don't show up very often anymore....
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Nice. I thought those came with Schaller Floyds.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Mine do. That's my #1 player!! I have a green maple over walnut SD- III. That one I do not play. But my headstocks are a tad streamlined.. strat-ish...

The Koa..I use lemon oil on the PF board and body. Or Vasoline works for me for 20 years. I use baby wipes on the neck. Those are great players. Alex Skolnik endorsed and played the SD-1 Koa when he joined Savatage. Early '95 issues of GW and GP magazine adds. I was pondering what to buy at that time..and that sold me. They are tone machines for sure!!

They came with Dimarzio custom super 3s. and SD-III Tone Zone/Chopper/Fast Track. I'd never think of changing them.

I always wipe everything down when I'm done playing it..kinda like the wife.

what are those goin' for in nice shape?
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That body looks in great shape! Not much wear in those pics. As much as I care for mine. There's a dark dark worn spot where my hand is. It's pretty soft wood too. Picks and fingernails can leave marks.

...kinda like the wife.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Mine came with a Schaller,5 way switch and a Jackson plate, It's one of the early ones.

Last edited by jacksonaxes; 10-18-2015, 09:18 AM.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Thanks all, for the info!

Good to know that these came with the Schaller Floyds. The nut (R2) of mine has "made in Germany" stamped on it, so that confirms it too.

As for the pickups, if I order the Dimarzio Super 3 would that be identical to the original?

The guitar is all cleaned up now. New set up too and it feels amazing. Next steps are the pickups, gold parts and the Floyd replacement.

[IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by laurens; 10-19-2015, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Well, I didn't know what kind of black custom DiMarazios were in it until a freind with same model checked the back of his. He confirmed they were Super 3s. So it should be safe to say that those were the stock pups in the '95 Sd-1.

John ordered one for himself and didn't like it. He liked active EMG at that time. That was before I joined this forum.

I usually keep all my guitars bone stock. I like them all as is, especially my Koa SD-1. Mine looks EXACTLY like Jacksonaxes!!

Comment

Originally posted by laurens View Post
                    Good to know that these came with the Schaller Floyds. The nut (R2) of mine has "made in Germany" stamped on it, so that confirms it too.
                    Only the early ones (blade switch, jackson neck plate) came with Schaller Floyds - yours is a later one, and that would have had a OFR from the get go. I was told by several people in 'the know' that the bridge pickup in these was a Tone Zone, but I put one in a PC1 and it didn't sound anything like the pickup in the SD1. But then neither does the Super 3 IMO..
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Neilli. Cool history and insight of my favorite guitar in the world.

It's been my baby since I bought it new in '95. I know my SD-III has a Tone Zone in the bridge. But that axe is much heavier and brighter than my SD-1 Koa. It's still smell like new. I don't play that one either. There' a few that "still got the lil' tagger on it'..Nigel.

I have a OFR on my '95 Fender FRC strat. Dimarzio PAF pro w/ TBX treb boost../tex mex singles. That's my #2 player. I bought alot of real keepers that year.

I've been getting that mojo back lately too..I've been playing the Jackson DR-7 I bought from Chris. Firebird V!! I I'm playing that as we ..type.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        Only the early ones (blade switch, jackson neck plate) came with Schaller Floyds - yours is a later one, and that would have had a OFR from the get go. I was told by several people in 'the know' that the bridge pickup in these was a Tone Zone, but I put one in a PC1 and it didn't sound anything like the pickup in the SD1. But then neither does the Super 3 IMO..
                        Neilli, thanks for the correction. You are right! I looked it up in the 1995 Jackson/Charvel price list and it says OFR there too. Also some of the few photo's floating on the internet have the OFR. I didn't realize that the OFR was made in Germany, and still is according to the website of Floyd Rose.

As for the pickup, it looks like I need to pick one that suits the guitar. I'll start with a D Sonic that I have lying around. The wiring is difficult on this one, DPTP and push/pull in one.

Comment

Just to be sure, these series came with a R2 nut, right?

Jackson/Charvel now use the R3 (according to their website).

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                            Only the early ones (blade switch, jackson neck plate) came with Schaller Floyds - yours is a later one, and that would have had a OFR from the get go.
                            I didn't realize the later ones had the OFR. Makes sense, though, since his route is longer and does fit the OFR fine.

Comment

Originally posted by laurens View Post
                              I didn't realize that the OFR was made in Germany, and still is according to the website of Floyd Rose.
                              Yes, the Schaller factory makes them for Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                              X