metal in english

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal in english

Only reason I can think that most albums are recorded in English is so they can reach much more of the masses. I still think it would be cool to hear some of the artist from non English countries sing in there native tongue.

Metal in Norwegian.

Norway export alot of metal bands. Bands such as Dimmu Borgir used to sing in Norwegian but there's a problem with that. Science shows that the cymbals and the snare covers characteristic sounds in the norwegian language. This makes it more difficult to follow norwegian lyrics than english.

I also prefer to sing in english because of how the language sound. It is more "open" than norwegian which makes it easier to sing.
    '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
    '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
    '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
    '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
    '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '13 Gibson M-III
    Taylor 214CE
    Dean 6-string Bass
    Morgan Ukulele

Comment

it's not SO much about the message
      it's very easy to sing in English... and you can write ridiculously stupid lyrics and still sound good
      while English is a pretty easy language... it's very hard for those who were born with some other language to speak it without a strong accent... when it comes to singing it's a lot easier to loose the accent

it's all about whatever works for you... some languages may sound great when spoken but that doesn't mean they will sound that good when it comes to singing.

my native language... Estonian is generally considered very pretty... but I don't think it sounds that pretty when you sing in Estonian

English is just ok... but when it comes to singing it sounds one of the best

but nothing beats Italian... it's pretty cool when you speak in Italian but in singing it's just magical... every phrase sounds just so musical and expressive... I constantly listen to Zucchero who uses old blues and soul vocal melodies and phrases but he does it in Italian and it's just a fantastic combination
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The band Manegarm sings in Swedish for most songs. The band Equilibrium also sings in their native language. I'll see if i can think of more.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

What about Rammstein? German is a really powerful language, and sound really good! My native language is Spanish and here in Mexico there are lots of undergorund metal bands, but to reach success, they have to sing in English!
          "You deserve what you dream"

Comment

Originally posted by bobafer View Post
            What about Rammstein? German is a really powerful language, and sound really good! My native language is Spanish and here in Mexico there are lots of undergorund metal bands, but to reach success, they have to sing in English!
            German does sound brutal. I also have a C.D. with a spansih death metal band somewhere. Don't remember their name at the moment.
            '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
            '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
            '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
            '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
            '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
            '13 Gibson M-III
            Taylor 214CE
            Dean 6-string Bass
            Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Brujeria?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Finnish

There has got to be a bunch of Finnish metal bands singing in Finnish.
                I can't name any though 'cause I don't listen to any of them.
                I really don't care for Finnish lyrics as I don't think it sounds very good.
                There is one exception though; death metal. I happened to hear a band on the radio a good while back and though to myself "hey, this fits".

Comment

Roudness?

I can't speak a word of Japanese (apart from Bukkake, Gokkun and Banzai) but I can sing along to those early LPs, no problem. It's obviously utter gibberish, but who cares, got to be better than excrutiating pidgin Engrish.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

It's interesting...a lot of Norewgian (especially black metal) singers understandably have a lot of difficulty with "th"s and they wind up coming out backwards like "ht"s. I think it makes it sound cool.

Enslaved used to sing in Norwegian. Man, they've changed a lot. Blodhemn is one of my very favorite albums.
                    From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

i have seen a couple of bands that sing in welsh i don't think it comes over that great for me thow. i can speak a bit of welsh but i was not brought up in welsh speaking schools so english is my first language
                      "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Originally posted by gotwtt View Post
                        i have seen a couple of bands that sing in welsh i don't think it comes over that great for me thow. i can speak a bit of welsh but i was not brought up in welsh speaking schools so english is my first language
                        You bloody foreigner. I'm sending Auntie Shobs ap Glyndwr round to give you a reet good mauling and teach you some self respect and something about national identity. In Welsh.

My cousin has been in one or two Welsh bands, and recorded in Welsh. He got given large amounts of MY fucking taxes to go and record in top studios, radio and television play and interviews, and help with gigs etc, getting to play some huge festivals (admittedly they were sheep tupping festivals, not Donington), all because the Government are keen to throw money at little ethnic cultural causes like that. I think if he'd have been a one legged black lesbian who recorded in Welsh, he'd really have hit the jackpot.

We have yet to get to the bottom of whether his song lyrics were simply filthy phrases in Welsh, which they would have been if I were in his place. He did tell me that they may have been "fiercely patriotic" though, which makes me shudder to think. It would have given him great pleasure to see some happy-clappy right-on English PC twat smiling and handing over money to my cousin for him to write and record more anti-English songs.
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                          You bloody foreigner. I'm sending Auntie Shobs ap Glyndwr round to give you a reet good mauling and teach you some self respect and something about national identity. In Welsh.

My cousin has been in one or two Welsh bands, and recorded in Welsh. He got given large amounts of MY fucking taxes to go and record in top studios, radio and television play and interviews, and help with gigs etc, getting to play some huge festivals (admittedly they were sheep tupping festivals, not Donington), all because the Government are keen to throw money at little ethnic cultural causes like that. I think if he'd have been a one legged black lesbian who recorded in Welsh, he'd really have hit the jackpot.

We have yet to get to the bottom of whether his song lyrics were simply filthy phrases in Welsh, which they would have been if I were in his place. He did tell me that they may have been "fiercely patriotic" though, which makes me shudder to think. It would have given him great pleasure to see some happy-clappy right-on English PC twat smiling and handing over money to my cousin for him to write and record more anti-English songs.
                          give your cousin my blessings Rsmacker. can't go wrong anti-english songs were i'm from
                          "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Working...
                          X