Vinnie Moore Time Odyssey gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Moore Time Odyssey gear?

Anyone know what guitar/pickups he used on this? I'm always amazed at the tone: it's a bit dark, but you can hear every subtlelty of his playing (especially pick attack nuances). Low output pups maybe? Comments? He frickin rocks.

He had a signature ibanez in 88.. Dont know what pickups.
    Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

i beleive his sig ibanez had the F3 pickup in the bridge - one of the IBZ/USA diamrzio deals. they are medium output, similar to a PAF pro. i think his amp around that time was a laney AOR...
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have a couple instruction tapes of VM. He's using a Laney AOR 50 and those cheap Ibanez roadstars..Here's his first video instruction .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE_La...eature=related
        Last edited by horns666; 10-26-2008, 12:29 AM.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't know his rig but I do know that he's the bomb. "The Maze" is one of my all time favourite instrumental songs.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

He had a big influence on me...always loved his tone.
            www.JerryRobison.com
            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

laney AOR and a dimarzio loaded ibbi.. paf pros probably cant remember.. he posted some of his at the time gear over on the seymour duncan boards, a while ago
              You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

[QUOTE=markD;1162148]i beleive his sig ibanez had the F3 pickup in the bridge - one of the IBZ/USA diamrzio deals. they are medium output, similar to a PAF pro. i think his amp around that time was a laney AOR...[/QUOTE

+1 I saw him do a clinic from that album around 1988 and he used his sig Ibanez ,which had dimarzio pickups and a white Laney AOR 50 1/2 stack that was provided from a local store. It was amazing to see him do that stuff live and in such an intimate setting!

Comment

Love that album, his first two and and Tony McCalpines' first two

McCalpine is just a badass, he should be Pettruci status, in fact he blows Pettruci away. Yeah, i said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                    Love that album, his first two and and Tony McCalpines' first two

McCalpine is just a badass, he should be Pettruci status, in fact he blows Pettruci away. Yeah, i said it.
                    Pettruci can't play keyboards like that. It's Mc Alpine by the way.
                    www.JerryRobison.com
                    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I believe he used a DiMeola pickup back then...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                        I don't know his rig but I do know that he's the bomb. "The Maze" is one of my all time favourite instrumental songs.
                        Great ,Great CD
                        gotta love the Vinman, way underrated player.
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Great player, one of my favs, but I really never thought his tone was all that on the early stuff. Some later releases had pretty tasty tone, but I didn't like that material so much, haha....

Such irony...

Comment

I think he played DiMarzio Double Whammy pups during Time Odyssey and yeah, his Ibanez Signature Vinnie Moore Model: VM-1

Straight from the horse's mouth!

"just remembered something about the time odyssey tone. i did use the peavey stereo chorus with an ibanez super metal as i already mentioned. but i forgot that i also used a scholz rockman in conjunction. my guitar signal went to the peavey and also the rockman and then each were sent to a fader on the mixing board. for each part i would play with the balance of the faders to get what i liked. the rockman sound was pretty prominent, not just low in the background. the rockman added a dimension that i wasnt getting from the amp.

i did a similar thing on the maze where i used a digitech 2101 in conjunction with other amps.

so there ya go............end of chapter.
                            vm"
                            Last edited by Robotechnology; 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                              Great player, one of my favs, but I really never thought his tone was all that on the early stuff. Some later releases had pretty tasty tone, but I didn't like that material so much, haha....

Such irony...
                              I had read that in those early days, Mike Varney of Shrapnel was producing all of the hottest shredders. He was on such a tight budget with time and money, that the guys he brought in (Tony MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Joey Tafolla, Paul Gilbert (RacerX), etc) could only bring in their specific guitars and that they would use the amplifiers and such that he had in the studio. I believe I read that way back in the day. If you listen to alot of those early releases by the players, to me they all have a similar tones (kind of thin and nasally in my opinion).

Comment

Working...
                              X