Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh.. my...GOD !! Steve Vai at the "Astoria London"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evilution
    replied
    I went to see G3 (Satch, Vai and Eric Johnson) at the Shepherds Bush Empire (UK), 4th of June 97. I had been playing guitar for about a year and I believe that this gig was what made me mentally give up trying to be a good guitarist
    The songs weren't to my liking but you couldn't help but be astounded at how well they could play ("well" meaning bloody fast and hit all the notes they wanted to).
    They all did their own solo stuff and then came out on stage to jam together, after about 10 minutes of that they introduced to the stage Brian May!
    I realsie Brian isn't the most competant or fastest guitarist but he could write riffs like no one else on that stage could. He knew he was out of his league, the look on his face as he was watching the others made the night yet when it came to his guitar part of the phrase it still fitted what the others were doing and still sounded awesome. More quality and less quantity.

At the end of it they said they would do a signing the day after at Tower records (if my memory serves me). Of course I was there, got my ticket and CD sleeve signed by Vai and Satch, shame that May wasn't there. Johnson was a no show either but no one seemed bothered

The nail in the coffin was when I shook their hands and realised that not only could they play exceptionally fast, they could do it with a palm full of sausages instead of fingers. Vai's hand was about the size of my head at the time, how does he get those things moving at such a rate?

Leave a comment:

• Dreamland_Rebel
    replied
    Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
    No argument here. When you watch him play on this DVD you get the feeling that there is nothing the man can't do on a guitar.
    except write a good song.

Leave a comment:

• blindmuddy
    replied
    Originally posted by JC_Denton View Post
    I must be the only on in the world who dislikes that dvd
    No, you can add me to the list too.

Leave a comment:

• JC_Denton
    replied
    I must be the only on in the world who dislikes that dvd

Leave a comment:

• thebeggar
    replied
    Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
    I like Vai, but his playing and music is too good for me, way over my head I also have the G3 in Denver DVD (Vai, Satch,Malmsteen) and it kicks ass too.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. I've never been the biggest fan of Vai but I've always had huge amounts of respect for him. I have found that his music can get a bit too eclectic for my tastes and too far up in the stratosphere for me to get my head around.

I really dig that this guy can express himself so well musically and spiritually through his music (and in particular the electric guitar). The spiritual aspect of Vai is something that I really look up to.

Live At The Astoria is probably my favourite Vai release. I think that's because it's live. I've found it a little difficult to get into some of his studio releases. But live, damn this boy (and accompanying all star band) can hit it.

Leave a comment:

• MatthewK
    replied
    Yeah, you're a little late on that one! It's a great dvd though, I've watched it a bazillion times and I'm not even a huge Vai fan.

Leave a comment:

• lynchfan6
    replied
    Of course, I own this and love it also. Simply unbelievable, but I've always thought that of Vai. Makes you realize that guys like Vai, who don't ruin their "God given out of this world talent" by going down the endless substance abuse trail just keep getting better with age. No one can touch such talent,,,,it is just something natural to these guys that no amount of practice could emulate. It's a shame EVH, George Lynch, etc.... couldn't pull off what Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jon Petrucci, etc,are doing, and that is utilizing their talents to the max.....taking care of themselves physically, and forgetting about trying to stay commercial. That was Lynch's downfall, trying to fit into the "current" craze and losing his focus over and over,,,and EVH,,,,well, we know what his downfall sadly is. I just can't believe Ed doesn't realize how he is ruining himself,,,,,,IMHO the greatest rock guitarist EVER! He could be in his prime right now, too.
    Last edited by lynchfan6; 12-22-2007, 10:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CharvelRocker
    replied
    It is a must have DVD for sure. My copy has seen heavy play for the year I've had it.

Leave a comment:

• MikeE
    replied
    I love how they open with Shyboy and nail every crazy part and solo. Sheehan and Vai are a perfect match.

Leave a comment:

• Jonttu
    replied
    That's a GREAT DVD!!!!!
    I've been watching that over and over again.. Can't have enough
    Perfect playing!!!

But Steve... Even one WRONG note would make me feel much better!

Leave a comment:

• Robert Burns
    replied
    [quote=khabibissell;1023913]Surely you are joking calling Tony Macalpine "some kid"... he's been doing the instrumental guitar thing since the mid 80's and is also a virtuoso pianist. If you don't already have it, check out "Edge of Insanity" (released in 1986 on Shrapnel) to see what I'm talking about. He's released a quite a few solo albums and also appears on a few Planet X discs as well. To think a player of his caliber is backing up Vai is just sick. I do not mean to slam Vai as he is an incredible player as well, but I'm much more a Macalpine fan than a Vai fan. Vai's playing is too out there for me. Tony plays in that neo-classical style that I really gravitate toward. Instead of over-doing technique like alot of guys do, he plays with alot of emotion and melody. Outstanding.

I haven't picked up this show as I'm not a huge Vai guy and I have three G3 DVD's, but I'm curious... Does Tony get a chance to shine as well? If so, I may have to grab it.[/quote

************** No i didnt mean Tony was "Some Kid"... the "Some Kid" thing was the 20 year old on the right side of the stage. Dave Wiener? I dig McAlpine too...but i gravitate towards a blusier, Satch,Greg
    Howe, Vai tech... and get to board with the Malmsteen neo classical.
    Great to see that Vai doesnt have an ego, and is open to having such
    a monster player like Tony right there with him. And yes...Tony gets to shine especially on Key's..
    for about 8 minutes alone...and then does some sick dual shred stuff with Vai...about 3 times also.
    This "Astoria" is the ultimate imo... a guitar shred fest just cant get any better!

Leave a comment:

• lerxstcat
    replied
    Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
    Surely you are joking calling Tony Macalpine "some kid"... he's been doing the instrumental guitar thing since the mid 80's and is also a virtuoso pianist. If you don't already have it, check out "Edge of Insanity" (released in 1986 on Shrapnel) to see what I'm talking about. He's released a quite a few solo albums and also appears on a few Planet X discs as well. To think a player of his caliber is backing up Vai is just sick. I do not mean to slam Vai as he is an incredible player as well, but I'm much more a Macalpine fan than a Vai fan. Vai's playing is too out there for me. Tony plays in that neo-classical style that I really gravitate toward. Instead of over-doing technique like alot of guys do, he plays with alot of emotion and melody. Outstanding.

I haven't picked up this show as I'm not a huge Vai guy and I have three G3 DVD's, but I'm curious... Does Tony get a chance to shine as well? If so, I may have to grab it.
    Err... there are three guitarists in the Vai band on this video. "The kid" is a 20-year-old (at the time) guy who is indeed a great player in his own right. He even gets a solo segment and when he's done, after the applause Vai comes back out and says "He taught me how to do that!"

So relax, nobody called Tony a kid. In fact when Vai introduced the band he complimented Tony profusely and said "He might just kick my ass tonight!"

Macalpine has a keyboard solo and does some amazing harmony stuff as welol as trade-offs with Vai on guitar. It's a great DVD.

Edit: I read on and see you realized your mistake. don't feel bad, I can be dense too!:ROTF:
    Last edited by lerxstcat; 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• El Chiguete
    replied
    It's great to listen but the camera crew didn't have a clue on how to record a guitar player live... too bad. But isn't Vai going to record a new DVD?

Leave a comment:

• AfterForever
    replied
    I have it too. I got kinda bored with it after a while. I must check it out again sometime soon, because i did love it.

Leave a comment:

• khabibissell
    replied
    Nevermind... you're probably talking about Dave Wiener.

I'm a little dense...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X