• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep wishing. Jackson is f*cked now.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
      I don't really have an answer as I am curious as well. What I have always found interesting is almost everyone who is playing Jackson when they become famous eventually ends up at ESP. There are some exceptions like Marty Friedman( and maybe he left and came back), but not many. Maybe as pianoguy alluded to that endorsment money is hard to pass up. Along with supply.
      Well, ESP and Ibanez pay their endorsers...and if they need a guitar they can make whatever they want in few days.

Iommi remained shocked to find out that when he ordered a SG with Floyd Rose the CS was able to deliver it in 72 hours, Alexi Laiho when he was robbed of his Jackson had to wait several months for the replacement, he sent the brand to hell and went to ESP.

Unfortunately Grover was a gifted luthier but a bad businessman.
      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
      '92 Fender Strat scallop
      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Grover Jackson left the Jackson company in 1990. Alexi's theft came much later than that, in 2002 or 2003 if I recall. Grover would have had nothing to do with running the Jackson company when artists like Alexi requested replacement guitars.

Comment

I haven't said it was Grover's fault but Jackson has always been slow at delivering instruments to endorsers, and that was one of the issue. The other is of course money: according to Hammett when he bought his RR he was offered 20% discount from list price as an artist and that was it. The fact he still plays the guitar makes me think he would rather have been a Jackson than a ESP endorser.
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
            I haven't said it was Grover's fault but Jackson has always been slow at delivering instruments to endorsers, and that was one of the issue. The other is of course money: according to Hammett when he bought his RR he was offered 20% discount from list price as an artist and that was it. The fact he still plays the guitar makes me think he would rather have been a Jackson than a ESP endorser.
            Hence the first reply to this topic:
            Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
            Remember, Grover started the 'no endorsement' rule.

Unlike the drunken name dropper that went broke in 1978 trying to party with the stars instead of building guitars....
            If you love Jackson, you play a Jackson. Grover had no interest in buying your love of Jackson.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post

Hence the first reply to this topic:

Unlike the drunken name dropper that went broke in 1978 trying to party with the stars instead of building guitars....
              If you love Jackson, you play a Jackson. Grover had no interest in buying your love of Jackson.
              Wayne sold to his shop builder to Grover, thus jackson
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

ESP and Ibanez seem to have an enormous budget to waste, er, spend on endorsements/marketing. And, yes, the willingness to do whatever the artist needs/wants.

I don't know what sort of operation the Jackson Custom Shop is, what, 3 or 4 guys? Clearly not a priority for FMIC. And they work on a legacy mindset. How customizable are their guitars really? I don't get the impression that JCS does much in terms of custom inlays for instance. Mick Thomson's guitar doesn't have the Seven inlays, which I'm sure he would prefer. It always cracks me up when the Jackson artists talk about spending years working with Jackson on their signature guitar and the difference from a standard Jackson is at most an additional cutout or two. If it really takes them years or even a year to come up with a prototype, I mean, c'mon.

Comment

Originally posted by wrldeatr7 View Post
                  ESP and Ibanez seem to have an enormous budget to waste, er, spend on endorsements/marketing. And, yes, the willingness to do whatever the artist needs/wants.

I don't know what sort of operation the Jackson Custom Shop is, what, 3 or 4 guys? Clearly not a priority for FMIC. And they work on a legacy mindset. How customizable are their guitars really? I don't get the impression that JCS does much in terms of custom inlays for instance. Mick Thomson's guitar doesn't have the Seven inlays, which I'm sure he would prefer. It always cracks me up when the Jackson artists talk about spending years working with Jackson on their signature guitar and the difference from a standard Jackson is at most an additional cutout or two. If it really takes them years or even a year to come up with a prototype, I mean, c'mon.
                  I've never understood the bridge he has on his Soloist. Surely a real HT6 or TOM bridge would be easier for tuning stability and getting the strings on?
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Mick said somewhere he likes the way a Floyd feels under the hand. His Ibanez MTM1 had a similar "fixed Floyd" bridge.

Comment

Allegedly Floyds are supposed to have pretty good tuning stability because of the whole double-locking concept. Not my experience but so I've heard. Even more so if it's fixed bridge.
                      But if he's looking for a lot of flat surface to rest his picking hand then the Floyd would be the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X