Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I caught Steel Panther last night in Houston.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I caught Steel Panther last night in Houston.

Enjoyed it tremendously.

They have got a show that has to be seen to appreciate. Definitely NOT a family show. lol

But on to what's really important. lol

Satchel played one pink Charvel the entire show. Which surprised me with his sig Charvel hopefully in stores soon.

Anybody else find this odd?

One of the best shows I've seen was Steel Panther opening for Judas Priest a few years ago. We made it a family show!

Comment

Seen Steel Panther four times. Always fun, and flawless musicianship.

The pink Charvel is not new to Satchel per se but it might be the first time I've seen a pic of him playing it live. Thanks for that! Here's where I'm most familiar with that guitar:

Comment

Sweet family shot! My kids are waaaaay too young to handle Pather. Saw them a few years ago in West Hollywood. They killed, and it is one of the few times in a show that you very much enjoy the banter between songs.

Comment

I've missed recent opportunities to see them live but hear they put on a solid show.

Comment

The banter is easily the best I've ever witnessed.

And yes, their show is DEFINITELY not kid friendly. My 9 year old knows who Satchel is, but has yet to hear a song......

Comment

I've seen some of their concerts on YouTube-----definitely not family friendly! But make no mistake, they aren't a "joke" band, they are good! Satchel is the coolest dude around....he has that character DOWN....
              '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
              '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
              '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
              '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
              '90 Charvel 475 XL
              '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
              Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
              Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
              Marshall JVM410H

Comment

I've seen SP 3 times to date and am seeing them again next month. Hands down, one of the most talented and entertaining bands I've seen live. I'm always impressed with how competent and consistent they are performing, all while keeping up the shenanigans on stage. True, kick-ass professionals.

Comment

They have more chops than 9/10 of the hair bands they are satirizing. The joke may be wearing thin a bit but I think they are great. Eddie Trunk has never liked them!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    They have more chops than 9/10 of the hair bands they are satirizing. The joke may be wearing thin a bit but I think they are great. Eddie Trunk has never liked them!
                    Who fucking cares what Eddie Trunk likes...

Comment

Yeah, too fucking true - Trunk needs to check himself, cos god knows why he thinks he's so important.

I've seen SP probably 6 times and enjoyed it less and less each time - last time was just embarrassing watching them waste 10 minutes trying to get girls on stage, and what they ended up with was definitely not worth sacrificing 2 songs for. So even though they still play here a lot, I've knocked it on the head. They're such a good band that they don't need to pad the show with so much schtick, especially when they don't change it up. And from all I've heard of the newer CDs, their recorded stuff isn't up to the caliber of the first CD either.

For what it's worth, I saw The Darkness last night and for my money, they do a much better job of mixing 'entertainment' with a rock show than SP do now. They just don't have the hype..
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        They're such a good band that they don't need to pad the show with so much schtick, especially when they don't change it up. And from all I've heard of the newer CDs, their recorded stuff isn't up to the caliber of the first CD either.
                        I agree they haven't really changed their banter or schtick much but funny thing is, I saw them play before they got into the habit of bringing chicks up on stage. So, as you might imagine, the first show I caught where they did bring up chicks, I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd have to respectfully disagree that their first CD was their best- it's certainly not the gold standard by which I measure them. They've had some really good offerings since then and I was pleased with this last effort in terms of their sounding a bit more sophisticated. Better melodic tidbits in their song structures, all the shred one might expect from Russ and a nice cover of Cheap Trick, all while reheating/rehashing the sexist schtick that made them a fave of perpetually pubescent 80's fans like me.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          Who fucking cares what Eddie Trunk likes...
                          Eh, I agree with ET on most things. Except UFO...they were pretty good I guess, but not THAT good.

I'd rather listen to him than Rush Limbaugh.

Yeah I saw the Darkness once, they were a trip! I'd vote for them over SP any day.

Comment

Caught the band Tuesday night at the TLA on South St in Philly. Not much different from the other 3 shows I've seen, though, I am still impressed with their level of musicianship, professionalism and sound. The band was predictably tight, well-rehearsed in their shtick and completely committed to remaining in character. A few of the jokes and gags they did were new but mostly it was SOS. The opening band- Philly/Lansdale natives Roughhouse (formerly Teeze), an utterly forgetful band that reportedly has 3 albums to their credit and really should have stayed broken up back in '89, gave me a lot of motivation for considering retiring from playing hard rock at my age. They looked pitiful. Kinda like the drunken dude at the party who won't go home. They sounded worse. Their rigs sounded like bees nests of distorted mush. The notes in the solos were incomprehensible and indiscriminate. Hackneyed, cliched licks played with awful theatrics and feigned exuberance. Much of their stage act was a direct rip off SP's (which we know to be a rip off of every hair metal and hard rock band of the 80's) Steel Panther, in stark contrast, sounded great- their mix was spot on: Vocals were clear and discernible and Satchel's sound was great- really dialed in. He was sporting his now sig-version Charvel- having totally severed ties with Kramer.

Russ Parrish' playing continues to impress and inspire me in it's obvious homage to 80's (and 90's) metal licks. His precision, especially in the midst of the chaos that swirls around him on stage, is mind blowing.

My biggest misgivings about the show (aside from the opening band) were the stage full of ladies towards the end, some of whom should not have been allowed up there (body shaming alert) and the excessive chattering and needless dialogue part of their shtick. It was overkill this time and not that funny. Those guys are all highly talented musicians, clearly more so than vast majority of musicians they satirize. I think their music speaks for it self and is funny enough, especially in tandem with their subtle but effective visual gimmicks.

Comment

Great feedback Vector! Yes I feel the same. They are a great band and really don't need that extra stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X