Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeff Hanneman's (of Slayer fame) guitars are for sale! RIP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think the use of SS division names is in bad taste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_SS...gen#War_crimes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_SS...ich#War_crimes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS...opf#War_crimes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_SS...ing#War_crimes

And indeed there was never a "Heydrich" division (nor a Deutschland, there was a Germania, but this was changed to Wiking)
    But Heydrich was one of the (if not the most) instrumental people concerning the setup for the extermination of the jewish population in Germany and it's conquered adversaries

The 3rd Reich had some qualities which allow admiration, Slayer could have gotten away with any of those, but the SS-units were not part of those admiring qualities
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
      OK i feel bad as im slightly derailing this thread.. not alot of traffic on this forum and its not that often i can talk "shop" ..almost deleted this post but i already invested some time in it.. so excuse my indulgence on a topic i love as much as guitars

confused...as my inquiry was about Heydrich.. no unit was named after him..he was the head of the SS sicherheitdeinst .. the security arm of the allgemiene SS.. and had quite a bit of influence in the NSDAP but no unit was named after this one.. excuse the spelling as this is all done from memory.. these folks makes the gestopo look mild in comparison.

just curious as why he had the head of the SS-SD who personally signed the lives away of countless thousands.. personal hero as we all have em.. perhaps.. mine would be kurt meyer,earnst barkman,micheal wittman, joachim peiper.. YES i have american WW2 heroes as well.. OK 1.. George marshal.. he was pretty awesome as a general and head of the state dept.

im well aware of the 1st ss unit and EVEN know of the predecessor of it.. Stross trupp adolf hitler which was formed in '23.. the 1st ss panzer.. which actually did not come into being until 43.. before then it had gone through 3 or 4 different upgraded statuses..motorized regiment.. motorized division and panzer grenadier division..only a battalion was ever used for ceremonial duties or guard duties of the reichstag,hitlers personal residence,and alot of other high profile postings.. EVEN when the war turned unfavorably and all troops where needed at the front.. watch a doc on the 1935 Olympics to see them..sepp dietrich was its first commander and even the divisional patch caries his name.. the image of a key.. dietrich is key in german.. was the best panzer division of the war..and there where quite a few 2nd,3rd,5th,9th,10th,12th were all good.alot of good units in the army such as the gross deutchland as well. you can also see the key emblem in the unit symbol of the Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 501 which was a heavy tank battalion of the 1st SS panzer korp.. which dietrich was commander of in '43..

my knowledge is fairly good.. not infallible though

what im confused about .. several of those names where not "real" SS units and infact 2nd rate troops.. the 7th ss gebribs "prinz eugin" was a partisan/mountain unit that fought in jugoslavia.. florian geyer unit or 8th ss was a cavalieri unit that fought partisans on the eastern front..and neither where front line units and when they where used in such a fashion they did not fare very well ...the others i can understand as they where elite units and was always in the most crutial spots in the battle.. sure some elements did some bad sh*t in their short history but thats with any unit that were trained to be aggressive on the battlefield ...but partisan units and warfare was and is highly controversial form of warfare. these units specialized in bad sh*t as a whole..

always possible that hanneman saw these names in a book he was reading and just picked a few at random or with little thought..

must be some logic in his thought process ..

one last note.. the name brandenburg and which my forum name is derived from was taken not from the state of brandenburg.. nor the bridge, but from the Brandenburg regiment.. a special forces unit .. took the name when i was in a war gaming group.. i have had it since 2000 i believe
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburgers

irony is.. that in most sites i join, i cant use my real last name if i so choose.. yep.. my relatives where so german during ww2.. they wernt allowed to fight in europe.. just in the pacific.. AND the pronuciation was actually changed .. americanized version of my last name sounds like RICH.. i go by both when people address me.. german or american pronunciation.. i do prefer the german version though..
      https://www.facebook.com/neil.reich.1
      http://www.craiggottlieb.com/engine/...Filter=Archive

Comment

that Bc rich is Killer,hanamann was in all the metal mags with this guitar, when i was a youngster.

Comment

so... i've always wondered... was jeff a neo nazi, a nazi sympathizer, or just a ww2 history buff who focused on nazi germany? i always thought it was interesting that he used nazi symbols.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stSFG-A View Post
            so... i've always wondered... was jeff a neo nazi, a nazi sympathizer, or just a ww2 history buff who focused on nazi germany? i always thought it was interesting that he used nazi symbols.
            Jeff's dad was a WWII veteran and brought back mementos from the war which led to Jeff's interest into WWII memorabilia and history.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              And indeed there was never a "Heydrich" division (nor a Deutschland, there was a Germania, but this was changed to Wiking)
              But Heydrich was one of the (if not the most) instrumental people concerning the setup for the extermination of the jewish population in Germany and it's conquered adversaries

The 3rd Reich had some qualities which allow admiration, Slayer could have gotten away with any of those, but the SS-units were not part of those admiring qualities
              I beg to differ on the last point - the Waffen SS were one of the most effective fighting forces the world has ever seen and helped revolutionise warfare in the 20th century into a form we still use today - for starters by pioneering the use of DPM smocks etc (and were laughed at initially, but who today would rather wear solid colour fatigues rather than cammo?), and more importantly by treating every man as capable of filling his CO's shoes. Before then, if the CO was hit, everyone sat down and waited for a replacement to be brought forward. The SS trained so that any man could step up right there and then, take command and carry the action forward, giving rise to speedy, punchy, highly mobile warfare involving small dynamic formations rather than huge armies slogging it out WW1-style.

Yes, there were a certain amount of cunts who besmirched forever the reputation of what was originally an Elite body of men, and fuck knows why Mr Hanneman seems to have chosen two of the formations (Prinz Eugen and Florian Geyer) with the worst reputation for discipline, and for being poor fighters who either deserted en masse or were annihilated at the first contact with real Red Army troops rather then partisans. They weren't the elite Germanic divisions who fought bravely till the very end, and whose simple appearance on the front line, even in the final months of the war when they were a pale shadow of their strength and quality 4 or 5 years earlier, would encourage wavering Wehrmacht troops facing overwhelming numbers of Russians to fight longer and harder than in other areas where they thought they had been abandoned.

Incidentally, although there wasn't a Deutschland division, it was a regiment from 2nd SS Das Reich (another regiment from the same division, Germania, was split to become the nucleus of a separate division, and renamed "Wiking" ( made up mostly of Dutch and Fleming volunteers). "Reinhard Heydrich" was the 11th regiment of the 6th SS Mountain Division Nord. Like Brandenburg says, they aren't decent reproductions of cuff titles, wrong fonts, they just look like names picked at random (unless there is a family connection to the units of which we are unaware).

Unfortunately, there are people who profess to have "an interest in Third Reich memorabilia" but that interest goes as far as flipping through shitty photo-heavy books with titles like "SS - Hitler's Evil Machine of Doom" or "Death Skull Blood Warriors (from Hell)" and ll of a sudden they think they are well-read and experts. I think perhaps that Mr Hanneman was more interested in supping lager than sitting down and trying to get to grips with the complicated genesis and growth of organisations like the SS, and their Order of Battle. But hey, that it gave him more time to write that killer music, rather than trying to identify Bevo marks and stitching on cuff titles, so I can live with that!

(And yes, I'm one of those sad bastards who has spent years looking at the back of stitched eagles and waffenfarbe and reading books - wait for it - with NO photographs!!!! You could say I'm a serious collector of 3rd Reich memorabilia. Oh, and I can't wait for the Irving "Himmler" book to come out, I reckon it'll be his best yet, and totally overshadow those tossers who purport to be historians by virtue of university degrees, rather than through groundwork research like he has done.)

Now, who the fuck was "Adolph Hitler"? Any relation to Adolf? And how much did those guitars go for in the end?
              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

No one in Slayer was or is a nazi sympathiser. In fact, Slayer is as far removed from any right wing or nazi sympathy as you could possibly imagine. The band got real flak when Reign came out, as many of you know. Especially with German press. I guess they didn't picture Slayer being this punk/provocative band? Jeff's interest with WWII got really stirred during the band's Hell Awaits tour in Europe. ("inspiration" which resulted in Angel Of Death)Dave is a Cuban and Tom is Chilean, now that would not really stick well with Aryan supporters does it?

Comment

That reminds me of a band some friends had in San Diego in the late 80's early 90's called Psychic Zoo. A The songer had a shaved head, a black kid got his ass kicked in the parking lot of one show, then lawyered up and sued the band claiming it was a white supremacist hate crime, that got the Band black listed in town and the couldnt get booked.

The irony was that the singer did have a shaved head, but the lead guitarist was Indian, the drummer Jewish and the bass player was Mexican. Just how in the hell do you get White supremacist out of that???
                  A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Originally posted by phragle View Post
                    That reminds me of a band some friends had in San Diego in the late 80's early 90's called Psychic Zoo. A The songer had a shaved head, a black kid got his ass kicked in the parking lot of one show, then lawyered up and sued the band claiming it was a white supremacist hate crime, that got the Band black listed in town and the couldnt get booked.

The irony was that the singer did have a shaved head, but the lead guitarist was Indian, the drummer Jewish and the bass player was Mexican. Just how in the hell do you get White supremacist out of that???

With th the right agenda, you can get whatever you want out of whatever you want.

Comment

Working...
                    X