chris impellitteri pick ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris impellitteri pick ups

Anyone here know what impellitteri has in his fender guitars? I just got a charvel so cal and I want to switch it to a h/s layout so I can get a real hot single coil lead. I'm looking for something similar to his tone but not as noisy. I just don't want to end up getting a single coil and have it sounding too weak or getting a single coil that doesn't sound twangy. I want a twangy lead tone!

I'm sure I read somewhere that he was using DiMarzio HS2s. Have you checked out the DiMarzios that Paul Gilbert is using these days? He gets a great hot and bright sound with those. I'd really like to get some for my Strat!

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot about that, he's using the injectors. I've heard that the hs2s are kinda weak and low output so ill stay away from those. I've heard good things about suhr pickups but they're just too expensive.

Comment

Duncan makes the YJM Fury - might look into that.

Speaking of Impelliteri, I had a cassette of his years ago (first one I think - with Graham Bonnet on vocals). Dude was stupid-fast.
        Flat as a 3-day old soda, but faster than fuck.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

When you look at Impelliteri's tone you may want to look at his amplification and effects, if any, as well as the guitar and amp. Just using his pickups might not necessarily duplicate his tone. Stand In Line was a good song and he is indeed faster than fuck, but I never really wanted to cop his chops in the way I did Uli and Yngwie and Paul Gilbert. It was a step more sterile than Yngwie and gave credence to the "shredders have no feel" argument you heard a lot in those days. For mindlessly fast shred I prefer Michael Angelo Batio. At least Nitro was pretty funny!
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I never considered CI's tone maybe I never actually heard any.Fast as fuck yes indeed.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you want to keep the "twang" in your tone, low output is where it's at...you aren't going to get what you're looking for with a high output single coil (ala SDS-1 or Quarter Pounder). Let your amp and/or overdrive pedal do the work...you don't need a high output pickup.

Comment

i love single coil pickups, and some of my favorites are the duncan antiquity strat, the fender texas special, and the fender 57/62. any of those will give you twang and that glassy bell-like tone that strat playing shredders have. they will hum though. i use a rivera amp and a clean gain boost using single coil guitar, and the noise is just a part of the "tone". it really isn't that bad.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                  i love single coil pickups, and some of my favorites are the duncan antiquity strat, the fender texas special, and the fender 57/62. any of those will give you twang and that glassy bell-like tone that strat playing shredders have. they will hum though. i use a rivera amp and a clean gain boost using single coil guitar, and the noise is just a part of the "tone". it really isn't that bad.
                  I have the Texas Specials in a strat and I think they sound good, but alas, my single coil ear must be deaf. To me, even the stock MIM pickups in a 2008 strat sound good as well. I do like the tone of my 2008 MIM strat better than my 1996 MIM strat (both 100% stock) so maybe I'm not completely hopeless LOL!

Comment

I saw a pic somewhere a while back and he was using DiMarzio SDS-1's.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                    X