No announcement yet.

Boss GT6 or ME50 as a "hotel room" amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT6 or ME50 as a "hotel room" amp?

Hey all. Been forever since I posted here. I pretty much gave up on guitar, but am looking at picking it up again. Before the end of the year, my job is going to require a ridiculous amount of travel. 3 weeks out of each month I'll be gone. Looking for a silver lining to this, I'm thinking I could spend a lot of time practicing in the hotel.

To that end, would a Boss GT6 or ME50 be a good hotel room headphone amp? I've yet to see one in person, but was looking at them online. The ME50 has a line in for cd's, so I could connect my iPod which is essential. I ripped some of my lesson cds like the Stetina stuff to my iPod. I didn't see that connection on the GT6 but I may have just missed it.

Any advice or suggestions on these or on other units?

Thanks!
    Dave

Personally I'd never take my gutiars traveling with me full time. I picked up a yamaha with the built in pre-amp to travel with. Stuff like that can get some pretty serious road rash, especially from airport luggage handlers.

later,

Steve

P.S. I wasnt helpful, was I? LOL
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

If you just need practice, get a Korg Pandora. Small, lightweight, sounds cool and even has pitch shift on the aux in to get you in tune with your ipod.

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
        P.S. I wasnt helpful, was I? LOL
        Not really, but that's ok. lol

When I flew to LA last month there were guitars all over the place. I probably saw 2 dozen people with them. The prevailing theme was a gig bag (many with backpack straps which I thought was cool) and stick them in the overhead bin. I have an old toothpaste logo Charvel that I stuck a new neck on and was thinking of dragging that along. I don't much care if it gets beat a bit as long as it's not flat out broken.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
          If you just need practice, get a Korg Pandora. Small, lightweight, sounds cool and even has pitch shift on the aux in to get you in tune with your ipod.
          Cool, I'll check that out. I was looking at the Boss units simply because they've had good reviews, and when I get frustrated with my guitar abilities, I can noodle around with all the gee-whiz effects as a change of pace.

edit: Hey those are cool and have almost as much gizmo factor as the big Boss units.
          Last edited by beaner; 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM.

Comment

the gt-6 doesn't have the function you specify. i upgraded from the 6 to the 8 and neither have a stereo line level input.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

With a Gt-6 or Me-50, thats another piece of luggage your gonna have to carry around.

The Pandora will fit into any pocket.

If you want something really cheap, Id maybe look into a Rock-It:

They're something like $20-40, cant remember exact figures.

Then, they'res always the Tom Sholtz Rockman

Comment

Well, if I am not mistaken.. the ME50 is effects only.
                If it was me... I would get a Korg Pandora PX4. Cheap used, sounds great and has a massive amount of features.

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I have a lot more to think about.

As far as carrying the extra luggage, that's not a big deal as I'd just sandwich one of the larger floor units in my checked bag between my clothes.

The GT6 and GT8 are out because they don't have the aux in. The ME50 has the aux in but is effects only. The Pandora seems very cool and I need to go hear one in person. The mp3s on the korg site sound nasally, is that a word?, or just overprocessed. The v-amp2 sounded okay from the online demos, but I haven't seen anyone here raving about them either. One thing in the back of my head is that I don't want to spend a bunch of money twice. Which is why I was looking at the floor models with expresion pedals built in. I don't really need that for hotel practice, but that's something I might want later so why not get it now? Money isn't a huge deal, but I don't really want to spend more than $300 bucks or so.

I still have a month or so before the travelling starts. So I guess I'll look for some bargains and test drive a couple at GC. So far I'd say the Pandora is a best bet if I can get some good sounds out of it in the store.

Thanks all.
                  Dave

BTW:
                  What happened to the JCF classified section? I know I bought some stuff there once, might have been under my old login though.

Comment

Originally posted by beaner View Post
                    BTW:
                    What happened to the JCF classified section? I know I bought some stuff there once, might have been under my old login though.
                    You need 100 posts under your belt...

J/K
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

J/K
                      Ah, the rules have changed. I usually don't post anything unless I think I can really add value, so the post count stays loooowwww. I have been here under this login and one other for a few years though. Long enough that I think I remember - aren't you the guy who kicked Ed Romans ass?

Comment

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by beaner View Post
                          ................ aren't you the guy who kicked Ed Romans ass?
                          That's what gives Ron god-like status 'round here!! Well, that, and his sage wisdom.
                          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
                            That's what gives Ron god-like status 'round here!! Well, that, and his sage wisdom.
                            Ron's a cook and has wisdom about sage? Cool.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Check out a Digitech GNX-1
                              Small for a floor unit and has a CD-in so you can jam along with your iPod.
                              Nice unit... I still have mine and use it whenever I practice at home.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X