engl savage 120 (e 610)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engl savage 120 (e 610)?

Opinions ? How is it suited for brutal technical death metal (think deeds of flesh , suffocation, etc ) and other metal genres ( think newer testament)

how does it sit in the mix ?

how is the attack on this beast ? fear factory kinda ? or slower ?

As far as I know the sound of the savage is pretty vintage and for the überbrutal sound the powerball is better. I have once played a powerball, savage I only have heard playing. The savage impressed me, the powerball was much less impressive, but I probably liked the savage because it has a smooth tone

Comment

I would say that the Savage 120 can do those sounds but doesn't have a lot of bottom end, especially with active pick ups. It has a little less gain than a powerball (think a powerball on 10-12 o'clock would be a savage 120 on 2-3 o'clock). It definitely cuts well. I had my friend put his old savage against my old powerball and the savage took the higher midrange frequences while the powerball had the low range. It has great attack and response. I think if you put a boost infront of it, you could fatten it up a bit. The Blackmore might be an amp to check out as well if you are looking for an amp in the same price range. They do not sound alike. The Blackmore is a little more throaty sounding, but will cut about the same so I'm told. Hope this helps.

Comment

http://www.englampsusa.com/ENGL_SchematicDiagrams/Heads/E645-schematic.pdf

Originally posted by Eric_kv2
        I would say that the Savage 120 can do those sounds but doesn't have a lot of bottom end, especially with active pick ups. It has a little less gain than a powerball (think a powerball on 10-12 o'clock would be a savage 120 on 2-3 o'clock). It definitely cuts well. I had my friend put his old savage against my old powerball and the savage took the higher midrange frequences while the powerball had the low range. It has great attack and response. I think if you put a boost infront of it, you could fatten it up a bit. The Blackmore might be an amp to check out as well if you are looking for an amp in the same price range. They do not sound alike. The Blackmore is a little more throaty sounding, but will cut about the same so I'm told. Hope this helps.
        Interesting stuff about that gain there.
        Once I was looking at the schematics of both the amps and the savage seemed to have much more gainstages. That would be strange if it has got less gain.
        The powerball http://www.englampsusa.com/ENGL_Sche...-schematic.pdf
        The savage http://www.englampsusa.com/ENGL_Sche...schematics.pdf
        Would the savage really sound smoother than the powerball or would it just have sounded like that on the stage where I heard it
        Last edited by caliban; 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I have another custom made amp which is brutally voiced by itself , think really uberbrutal but more low mid orientated , loads of bass (put my bass on 9 o'clock. ) etc...

I'm thinking about something that'd take the upper mids freq and that will have a fast attack and tight bottom and a very aggressive midrange (not saying that mine doesn't have the aggressive mids - just more low mid kinda sound ).

using a C# tuned emg 81 loaded guitar ATM - bass will come from the tuning anyway and obviously my bassplayer and the bassdrum.

Is the savage tighter than a PB ?Does it have a faster attack ?

Are there any noise/humming problems with it ?

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead
            I have another custom made amp which is brutally voiced by itself , think really uberbrutal but more low mid orientated , loads of bass (put my bass on 9 o'clock. ) etc...

I'm thinking about something that'd take the upper mids freq and that will have a fast attack and tight bottom and a very aggressive midrange (not saying that mine doesn't have the aggressive mids - just more low mid kinda sound ).

using a C# tuned emg 81 loaded guitar ATM - bass will come from the tuning anyway and obviously my bassplayer and the bassdrum.

Is the savage tighter than a PB ?Does it have a faster attack ?

Are there any noise/humming problems with it ?
            The savage is tighter than the PB and I guess would sound like it has faster attack. You will need a noise gate or noise reduction with a lot of high gain amps especially with the Savage 120.

Comment

"You will need a noise gate or noise reduction with a lot of high gain amps especially with the Savage 120."

but are we talking 5150 levels ? powerball with noisegate disengaged ? or more a normal type of noise ?

Comment

first of all, the engls are very quiet. not quite as quiet (no pun intended) as my framus cobra, but then again, that's another league

as for the savage, it would fit you just fine i guess. steer clear of the blackmore, though. i had one, and have heared one at the same gig as a savage, and the savage is the better amp hands down. it does anything from 80s metal to death metal - when i saw the forsaken (great swedish death metal band, check em out!) live sometime ago their live sound was CRUSHING. i also saw a local heavy metal band using the savage SE which also sounded great.
                however, i never was quite happy with my blackmore, and the blackmore i heared at a gig sounded pretty much like the one i used to own - trebly and thin. very tight, though.

HOWEVER....if you're looking for a thick yet VERY tight amp with loads of saturation and fullness, check out the framus cobra. think a super hotrodded jcm800 with some recto brutality mixed in. less mids than the savage, though...

Comment

Bought it - pics of my full rig coming soon.

any ideas what kinda speakers does it take the best ? i thought about v30's but now after hearing the amount of mids i'm not so sure - maybe cl80's or g12t75 ?

especially that it's really middy

Comment

G12H30's sound the best with mine.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                      G12H30's sound the best with mine.
                      i'll check it with my mesa 4x12 standard today - we'll see how it works

I'm excited as a young kid before christmas

Comment

Is the powerball really that much more agressive just like I thought??
                        Or can you also play the agressive Caliban-alike stuff on the savage

Comment

Originally posted by skarhead View Post
                          Bought it - pics of my full rig coming soon.

any ideas what kinda speakers does it take the best ? i thought about v30's but now after hearing the amount of mids i'm not so sure - maybe cl80's or g12t75 ?

especially that it's really middy
                          I can tell you thru experiance.the PB sounds assy with V-30's I had a mesa standard and got rid of it the high were very annoying.I know the amps are voiced very simular so the outcome should be about the same.the best cabs I have used with my PB is my splawn 412 x patern eminence,G-flex212 and the vader 412.I do here great thing about the uberkab but haven't tried it yet.marshall,mesa standard and traditional,madion,framus coba and dragon and an engl vintage was not so great the engl stuff seems to be cab very sensative???
                          www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

somehow i got the feeling that to my ears PB will sound assy with any cab :p - that's why i chose a savage - seriously tho - didn't like the PB when i played it so i didn't bothered

quite now with a mesa with v30 i'm quite satisfied altough this cab ... you have to like it - i have days when i just love my cab and then moments in which i totally hate it ... normal

Comment

Originally posted by caliban View Post
                              Interesting stuff about that gain there.
                              Once I was looking at the schematics of both the amps and the savage seemed to have much more gainstages. That would be strange if it has got less gain.
                              The powerball http://www.englampsusa.com/ENGL_Sche...-schematic.pdf
                              The savage http://www.englampsusa.com/ENGL_Sche...schematics.pdf
                              Would the savage really sound smoother than the powerball or would it just have sounded like that on the stage where I heard it
                              The savage sounds a lot tighter and clearer IMHO. Maybe a bit smoother too. Its probably the most articulate and touch sensitive Engl I've heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X