Mesa 20/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20/20

Anyone here have any experience with the Mesa 20/20?

I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Here's the deal...

I recently picked up a Mesa Single Rec, great amp. So for the hell of it I hooked up my TonelabSE to the effect return to see how it sounded just using the Mesa's power section... and wham! What a sound. Found what I've been looking for... finally. As close to a soldano as I can get right now.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the 20/20 will have the low end and tightness of the single rec power section. I've had the 50/50 in the past and I dont remember it having the bottom that the Single Rec has.

I've read the 50/50 is supposed to be the same power section as the Single rec. And if so I'll grab one of those. But I really like the single space 20/20 idea if it works well.

I live in an area that has no place to test these myself. I'll have to order one. So any input would be a big help.

Thanks.

The 20/20 will do you solid. Its a great poweramp. The 50/50 is the better choice if you can swing it. It will give you more thump and headroom.

Comment

The 20/20 has plenty of power and is super loud. It is a little on the thin and ball less side IMO. It will not have the bass of a Recto.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, thats what I was worried about with the 20/20.

Thanks again!

Comment

Yep, great poweramp, but it does lose its "tightness" when turned up.

For rock stuff though, you can't beat that harmonic chime it has when cranked. I had one and I definitely miss it!

Comment

I recently purchased a 20/20 from Matt. If you run it through a ballsy and thumpy cab, it will sound ballsy and thumpy. I haven't noticed it losing its tightness when turned up, but then I don't run it at ear-splitting levels. I do run it loud enough to compete with a full (un-mic'ed) drum kit & band though, and it does just fine.

Comment

as much as i like el-84 tubes, they don't always have the "gusto" needed for a given situation. but it all depends. i say go for the 50/50.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
              X