Anybody use a Marshall AVT50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use a Marshall AVT50?

I've got my eye on one and wondered if anyone here has any experience with 'em?

Me too and am very curious myself. would like it for headphones and traveling. Jack.

Comment

I tried one at the store and almost bought it. I really liked the tone but got a Line 6 because it was more versitile. Also a buddy of mine had the AVT 1/2 stack and gigged around quite a bit with it for a couple years. As far as I know he had no trouble out if it.

Comment

I used to use a AVT50 head. Was a pretty good head for the price and lasted me quite a while. Sounds better than alot of the other cheap valvestate combos

It gave up on me just as i was about to get rid of it. It kept on changing channels for no reason.
        93 USA Soloist EDS
        USA HT6 Juggernaut
        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I used the Marshall AVT50H (head) with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 about 5 years ago. It sounded good at the time, but I'd pick a Line 6 now.

Comment

for travelling and headphones use, nothing can beat line6 POD liver IMO.

Comment

Andy Laroque (King Diamond) used the AVT150 head live.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I still have my AVT50 combo, it was my first "decent" amp. (for bedroom use, that is).

Positive things first: It sounds very good at low volume IMO. That's why I still keep it around.
                It was NOT good for band rehearsal with a metal band.
                Didn't sound good cranked, could not cut through, and blew up after a while.
                (Volume went to zero and a bad stink raised from the interior )

I got it repaired under warranty (and bought a half-stack in the meantime), since then it stays in my bedroom without any problems... except...

Ever since I got it, when I have the footswitch plugged in and play on the clean channel, it sometimes bleeds over to the gain channel. And if that happens, it's way louder than the volume the gain channel itself is set at.
                I once got a new footswitch (under warranty), hoping that might solve the problem; but it only helped for a week or so.

BTW, it sounds really bad through headphones or when recording over the line-in.
                The Line 6 POD totally smokes it in that field, which is why nowadays I just play through my POD and computer speakers most of the time.
                However, the AVT50 sounds fuller at low volumes, probably because of the 12" speaker instead of my cheap, tiny computer speakers.

Conclusion: I'd recommend anything from Line6 over it for bedroom, headphone and recording use.
                For band rehearsal the head should work (the combo didn't).
                I have played the head version in a store but couldn't crank it.
                However if those have the same footswitch problem, it is not usable for live gigs.

Try it out, see if you like it. But be sure to check other options like Peavey Transtubes and Line6 stuff.
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

If you plan on using the AVT 50 at high volumes for extended periods, the internal cooling fan gets very loud. It sounds ok for the money and it does sound convincingly enough when you're on the stage for those that expect to hear the typical Marshall tone.

If you can put a little extra cash together, the Line 6 Flextone 2 sounds better. I was impressed with the SLO model, for what it is. The factory presets are good, but the effects suck. I wouldn't waste cash on the optional overpriced f/x board.

Comment

I recently got the AVT50 combo and I love mine. I bought it used off ebay and got a good deal. the gain tones are sick, the punch is very nice and it seems to have good volume. I have not yet really cranked it up, like to play with a full band with a loud drummer, so not sure on that yet, but I love mine.

one note, the channel switch just went out (won't switch to clean or bleeds over) so I'm having it in to my amp guy tonight in fact, for what I expect will be a cheap simple repair via a new switch.

if I really get going in a band I'll probably also get an AVT50 head and a 4x12 cab to really make some noise. LOL
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I can't imagine that combo being loud enough to play over a drummer. If you are miking things off, then of course you would be fine with adequate sound reinforcement. Again, the biggest factor is your drummer. If he's a hard hitter, forget about it. The distorted tone from every solid state amp I've ever played through thins noticeably when maxed out.

Two of my tube heads are 50 watts, and I run them both through a 4x12. Even with that setup, I have to crank them both almost halfway up to be heard. I'm not shy with my mids either...

That AVT is meant to be a practice amp, not a gigging solution.
                      Last edited by khabibissell; 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I had one, and yes, it's great at low volumes, worthless in a band situation (at least for me). I sent it back.

Comment

Working...
                        X