No announcement yet.

Ever buy a $600+ dirt pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Pete, I still have the FAB. The amp sounds pretty good with everything at 10, save for the 'mud' circuit which tightens or sags the OT. It has a preamp, based on the JCM 800, with an Ampeg V-4 style power stage. Being single ended and Class A, it sounds like a cheap version of a Bad Cat at low volumes. After having it for a year, I am still on the fence with it. (I damn myself for the honeymoon review).

Rob is known for liking loud amps. Even at 3 watts with the 1/2 power switch, it has to be way too loud to get the tone with a vintage Super Overdrive to give it the extra juice.

Keep in mind that I live in a 60 year old house in Japan with no insulation and corrogated tin siding. This type of cheap home was prominent after Japanese cities were flattened after the war. Therefore, I can hear almost everything outdoors and can touch on of my neighbours exterior walls from my kitchen window. I cannot get the FAB to a decent tone level without disturbing my neighbours. The siding actually rattles with the right frequency.

I would normally never consider a pedal this expensive. As I have tried almost all the options I could imagine, the Cornish pedal offered the solution in spades. I tried the new Krank pedal-it is a buzz box for kids, the
    Menatone 'King of the Brits', which had a great JCM 800 tone, yet was still too thin at living room volume and needed lots of time to be dialed in, while the SS-2 delivered a tone unimagined at such a low volume.

I will be using it with my FAB, though my custom built double depth cab loaded with a Celestion Century, original version. All I need to do is get some time away from research for my job and to get over my cold.

Comment

I've spent that on some vintage pedals. I had an SS-2 a while back--VERY cool pedal (too damn big, though!). Congrats on a great score. Those babies sound great plugged into a loud 'n hairy monster, too. I'd spend that much in a heartbeat for killer bedroom tone, so I think you made a smart choice since it sounds like you're happy.

Comment

Funny how guys will pay twice that for a Graphic Paint, Etc. but won't drop the cash for tone....Now I want to try this thing...

Comment

I want to HEAR this thing, that is what I want.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

unless it sucked me off, I wouldn't pay 600 for it.

Comment

I never have but if it got me what I wanted and what I was looking for tonewise for a long time I probably would...or..a POD and set of headphones

$600 is steep for a pedal but if it gives you what you want then its all good. It sounds like a kickass pedal
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
              X