Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: Yamaha THR10X (with video clip featuring my 2006 Jackson SLSMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about that.

Suppose a band is doing a Big Show.
    THR10X is plugged in and set as desired.
    Is THR used like a PreAmp and can be hooked into a
    Marshall, Crate, etc and have that 80s Arena sound,
    or is a separate head needed?

Or
    THR straight to the speakers without anything else needed?

I don't want to muddy your very good music thread.
    I am sorry.
    I should have done a comprehensive in depth search.

Thanks For Being Patient

[ ETA ]

Yes Sir, you answered perfectly 👍👍
    Last edited by JJ119; 05-29-2020, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I belong to a couple of groups on Facebook that are dedicated towards THR discussion. I vaguely recall some discussion about gigging with a THR. Here's a video I remember seeing about that. It might be a good possible solution to try!

Comment

This is the tone I find myself using a lot lately. My previous default tone was heavily soaked in reverb and delay so I wanted to get away with as few effects as possible and just focus on a straightforward, 80s style distortion with an almost imperceptible delay.

Comment

I loaned out the THR10X so I've been playing the standard THR10 frequently. I also bought an inexpensive used THR10C just to round out my collection but haven't really used it yet.

Comment

Good Job!!

Comment

I really like that amp and all the sounds and effects you can add and just set it on a coffee table instead of having to set up whole rooms. I just listen to a couple people video on them. After I'm finished with all my crap I'm gonna get one to just set it the living room, they don't cost much.
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Truth be told, I haven't touched my other amps (all 1x12 combos) in the longest time. The THR series makes it easy to practice and record at home. I don't perform live, jam with friends, or need huge volume at home, so the THR is a good tool for this specific situation. There is always a specific tool for specific jobs and I am not disparaging "real amps".

Comment

Bitchin' amp...Love mine.
                  8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Damn that is one informative thread. I'm playing through my old Toneport UX1 and even though it's old as hell and outdated it meets my needs well.

I've seen several reviews on the THR and now this makes me want to do an upgrade in the near future. Thanks for doing this thread and the in depth research and videos!!!

Comment

If I didn't have any of the THR first generation units, I would try and find any/all of them. I am peripherally aware that owners of the second generation THRs (THRii) anecdotally prefer the first generation and cannot get the same tones they loved from the first. This is baffling because Yamaha markets the THRii as combining all the variants of the first into one convenient box.

For now, I am in no rush to get the THRii. Yes, there is the temptation to combine amp models from one THR with cabinet models from another THR that aren't possible with the standalone first generation units. For example, the Brit Hi amp model from the THR10 paired with the Fuel 4x12 cabinet model from the THR10X. But if the THRii does not "sound the same" then I have no current reason to switch.

I've stopped dialing in artist tones. However, I am practicing more than ever and enjoying it very much. I always practice while sitting in front of the computer, so the THR as a desktop amp is the right tool for this job.

Comment

Really after watching ton's of video on different units, I'd say in MOO that you really have to have a Fractal audio setup or a tube amp and effect to really nail the great tones, it's MO and I'm sticking with it.
                        I mean with guitars worth in the thousands a 8-1200 home setup is realistic, isn't it. Again we all have our own palate's.
                        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          If I didn't have any of the THR first generation units, I would try and find any/all of them. I am peripherally aware that owners of the second generation THRs (THRii) anecdotally prefer the first generation and cannot get the same tones they loved from the first. This is baffling because Yamaha markets the THRii as combining all the variants of the first into one convenient box.

For now, I am in no rush to get the THRii. Yes, there is the temptation to combine amp models from one THR with cabinet models from another THR that aren't possible with the standalone first generation units. For example, the Brit Hi amp model from the THR10 paired with the Fuel 4x12 cabinet model from the THR10X. But if the THRii does not "sound the same" then I have no current reason to switch.

I've stopped dialing in artist tones. However, I am practicing more than ever and enjoying it very much. I always practice while sitting in front of the computer, so the THR as a desktop amp is the right tool for this job.
                          Sounds a lot like me. I spent a long time years ago when I first started trying to dial in a bunch of different players tones. Over the years I've found some tones I always gravitate toward and I always play the same three or four and they all work for me on most everything I play from Priest to Dokken to Ratt to Black Sabbath so on and so on.

I'm limited on space especially with 12 guitars in our computer room so a huge amp setup isn't going to happen. In all honesty my amp doesn't sound nearly as good as what's coming through the computer speakers and it's just so much easier to play along on the computer with Youtube that the Toneport wins 99.9% of the time. I've played more the past two years and have enjoyed it more than I did when I started back in the early 2000's.

Thanks for the additional information on the different generations. Sounds like you're saying the first generation units are where it's at. Of the first generation units which one do you like the best?

Maybe one of these years I'll have a dedicated room for guitars and gear but honestly I'd rather take the extra full blown amp rig money and spend it on another Charvel or Sully seeing as I'm only playing for my amusement and enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

Sounds a lot like me. I spent a long time years ago when I first started trying to dial in a bunch of different players tones. Over the years I've found some tones I always gravitate toward and I always play the same three or four and they all work for me on most everything I play from Priest to Dokken to Ratt to Black Sabbath so on and so on.

I'm limited on space especially with 12 guitars in our computer room so a huge amp setup isn't going to happen. In all honesty my amp doesn't sound nearly as good as what's coming through the computer speakers and it's just so much easier to play along on the computer with Youtube that the Toneport wins 99.9% of the time. I've played more the past two years and have enjoyed it more than I did when I started back in the early 2000's.

Thanks for the additional information on the different generations. Sounds like you're saying the first generation units are where it's at. Of the first generation units which one do you like the best?

Maybe one of these years I'll have a dedicated room for guitars and gear but honestly I'd rather take the extra full blown amp rig money and spend it on another Charvel or Sully seeing as I'm only playing for my amusement and enjoyment.

a Fractal audio setup wouldn't take up much more space than that amp does and if you went with a Tube amp you're probably going to have to go small like a 20 Engl ironball SE which has a power soak on it for bedroom playing, and a no cab option so you can plug straight into you computer and you can also download presets to it as well. Yeah, I'm not interest in HOW many guitars this or that person has and wouldn't be on here offering up my total.
                            Oh, I have e Toneport in a box somewhere?

Sorry in advance to those that might get butt hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                              Of the first generation units which one do you like the best?
                              My mood changes. I started off on the THR10X and only owned that for a while. Later, I acquired two THR10 units within a week of each other, dabbled with them, but remained loyal to the THR10X. Then I loaned out the THR10X, traded away one of the THR10, and switched allegiances to the remaining THR10 ever since. Even after I got a THR10C to round out my collection, I still haven't really touched it and play exclusively through the THR10, on one setting emulating a basic 80s metal crunch that is surprisingly versatile.

I really should force myself to play my Strats through the THR10C to really become familiar with it, "immersion" style. I'll get to it eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                                I let myself get carried away by the newly dialed tone and made a second clip in the same day.
                                Is that the sound?

Comment

Working...
                                X