Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: Yamaha THR10X (with video clip featuring my 2006 Jackson SLSMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought one a couple months ago, used from GC. Free shipping because they messed up the first order. I dig it, the cleans are really good. I expected a bit better from the distorted channels but they'll do. I guess I wanted to hear something closer to the sound in my head but that's the eternal chase.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Which model did you buy?

I keep trying to persuade myself to try the cleans and to even buy the THR10C model to round out my collection (and negate the need to "upgrade" to the "Mark 2" THR Series), but I normally play distorted nearly 100% of the time, and my main tone on both the THR10 and THR10X unintentionally sound very similar, so I guess I've found my "ideal" tone that has converged even across different products.

Comment

Thr10x

Comment

Combining two different cabs, a dark cab (Mods 4x12) with a bright cab (Brown 4x12) gave me a chunky metal rhythm tone reminiscent of Iced Earth.

Comment

Nevermind, got it.
            Last edited by FloydRose4Prez; 03-27-2020, 11:52 AM. Reason: Disregard post.

Comment

I have a problem. I bought my amp used and it did not come with any software or instruction manual. How and where do I find the interface program and amp patches for it?
              I have MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

Comment

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...downloads.html Download the Steinberg USB driver to your computer. Then download the THR Editor software. On that page you'll also find the instruction manual.

Comment

Yeah, I just did all that however the Editor will not recognize the USB. Everything is installed.

Comment

Ha Ha. Nevermind. All good.

Comment

To this day, I sometimes still have that problem where the amp is not recognized over USB. I normally don't keep my THR amps hooked up to anything, and it's annoying when I plug any of them into the computer, power on the amp, and the USB is not recognized. Typically I restart the computer and it works again.

Comment

THR10X users don't really seem to use the Southern Hi amp model very much, and I'm not sure why. When paired with the Vintage 4x12 cabinet, I got this Metallica tone.

Comment

I need DeMartini (Invasion, Reach) and Lynch (Wicked) tones.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can do. Those should be reasonably straightforward to achieve and I'll update if I get those tones.

For some time now, I've been trying to dial in John Sykes' Whitesnake 1987 tone and it continues to elude me because it doesn't quite sound like anything else. It's full of contradictions that I find challenging to reconcile using my existing gear + the recording techniques I've learned along the way: meaty yet sizzly, thick but also thin at the same time if that makes any damn sense, huge yet small, scooped yet it jumps out prominently in the mix... 🤔

Comment

I hear a lot of reverb on that album. Chorus on the clean songs, but that's obvious. He was an LP ----> Marshall guy wasn't he?

Comment

Gibson Les Paul Custom with Dirty Fingers pickups into a Mesa Mark IIC+ apparently, although it's rumored John Sykes used a Floyd-equipped Charvel to get the divebombs and horse-whinnies heard on half the 1987 album songs. I think I can tweak my above Metallica tone to get the appropriate tone since Metallica also used the Mesa Mark IIC+ (but slaved into an aftermarket effects loop of a Marshall JCM800) for their Master of Puppets tone, and to me, Puppets and The Black Album have somewhat related-sounding tones to my ears (as opposed to Justice or Lightning which sound far less similar).

Comment

Working...
                                X